Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa Romeo Montreal on Ebay, Very Nice!

9K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  malex 
#1 · (Edited)
There is a beautiful red 1971 Alfa Romeo Montreal on ebay right now. The car is very well and accurately presented by 'CKustomcinc'. The S/N is AR 1425234. The car is largely original and appears to be in very good 'Survivor' condition with leather seats, original paint and carpet etc, just a few issues that the seller does a nice job of pointing out, rather than trying to hide, which I appreciate.

The listing is a little hard to read due to the large font used and all the space between the lines and letters appears to have been squeezed out. The stating price is a very reasonable (I think) $59,995 and the seller references the recent sales of $99,000 and $176,000 montreals, so he knows the potential. Seller states the car could use a new battery; I think he should have spent the $100 at Autozone to avoid mentioning that short coming.

The radio blank off plate appears to be different and the stainless steel trim on either side of the center console is missing. The head liner looks saggy and the rear hatch cover is carpeted over. I also noticed the wheels have blue and red alfa emblems instead of black and silver. The underside of the car is really nasty and appears to have some corrosion in the spare tire well at least. It could certainly use a good dry ice blasting and repainting to bring the bottom up to the standard of the top. With a deep cleaning and some serious detail work this could be a nice investment.

The car is offered 'without reserve' (other than the starting price of 59,995 which is really a reserve of sorts). The ad is below but I don't know where the photos went so here is a link for now:

Alfa Romeo Other Montreal Spider Duetto 164 4c Bertone Prototype | eBay

eBay Motors>Cars & Trucks>Alfa Romeo>Other

Mouse over image to zoom

Have one to sell? Sell it yourself
1967 Alfa Romeo Other MONTREAL SPIDER DUETTO 164 4C BERTONE PROTOTYPE
NO RESERVE CALIFORNIA ORIGINAL SURVIVOR RARE STOCK CLASSIC BERTONE HOT ROD V8 CA
| Add to watch list
Seller : ckustomcinc (69 ) 100% Positive feedback
Follow this seller | See other items
Item condition:Used
Time left: 6d 02h (Apr 01, 2014 10:15:00 PDT)
Starting bid:US $59,995.00
[ 0 bids ]

Place bid
Enter US $59,995.00 or more
Add to watch list
Add to collection
100% positive
Feedback
Get low monthly payments | get an instant decision
Get an independent inspection | start an order
Get free insurance quotes from RateKick | Learn More
Shipping: Buyer responsible for vehicle pick-up or shipping | Vehicle shipping quote available

Item location:
Alameda, California, United States

Ships to:
Worldwide
Payments:
Full payment is required within 7 days of auction close
Print | Report item
Description
Vehicle History Report
Shipping and payments
eBay item number:111309168310
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
Last updated on Mar 25, 2014 22:57:39 PDT View all revisions
Vehicle Specifics for 1967 Alfa Romeo Other MONTREAL SPIDER DUETTO 164 4C BERTONE PROTOTYPE
Powered By AutoCheck
Vehicle History Report Not Available
1967 Alfa Romeo Other MONTREAL SPIDER DUETTO 164 4C BERTONE PROTOTYPE
VIN#: AR1425234
Possible Explanations why the report is not available include:
The seller didn't enter the vehicle identification number correctly.
The vehicle is too new to have a history report.
The vehicle was manufactured prior to 1981.
The vehicle didn't have a 17-digit vehicle identification number.
The vehicle wasn't intended for the US market (such as limited production exotics).
Vehicle Inspections
Order an inspection to learn more about this vehicle from an independent third party.
Item specifics
Condition:
Used: A vehicle is considered used if it has been registered and issued a title. Used vehicles have had at ... Read more
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): AR1425234
Year:
Transmission:
ZF 5-SPEED MANUAL
Make:
Alfa Romeo
Body Type:
COUPE SPORTSCAR HATCHBACK
Model:
Other
Vehicle Title:
Clear
Trim:
MONTREAL SPIDER DUETTO 164 4C BERTONE PROTOTYPE
Options:
WOOD GRAIN STEERING WHEEL, Leather Seats
Engine:
2.6 LITER V8
Safety Features:
SEATBELTS
Drive Type:
REAR-WHEEL DRIVE LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL RWD LSD
Power Options:
Power Windows
Mileage:
Fuel Type:
Gasoline
Sub Model:
MONTREAL SPIDER DUETTO 164 4C BERTONE PROTOTYPE
For Sale By:
Private Seller
Exterior Color:
Red
Disability Equipped:
No
Interior Color:
Black
Warranty:
Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty
Number of Cylinders:
NO RESERVE!!!
EXTREMELY RARE!
ALL ORIGINAL!
SURVIVOR!
CALIFORNIA CAR!
BERTONE DESIGNED!
1971 ALFA ROMEO
MONTREAL!
FACTORY 2.6 LITER V8!
FACTORY ZF 5-SPEED MANUAL!
FACTORY LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL!
UNTOUCHED!
UNMOLESTED!
UNCUT!
COMPLETELY STOCK!
ITALIAN GT/SPORTSCAR!
TIME CAPSULE!
EXCELLENT INVESTMENT!

Up for auction with NO RESERVE!!! is an extremely rare, all-original, completely stock and unmolested, Bertone Designed, time capsule, California survivor 1967 titled 1971 Alfa Romeo Montreal. This car recently came out of a climate controlled private collection where it was lovingly stored, admired and cared for for the last 15 years and is reluctantly being sold due to the passing of the owner. This car is in wonderful, original condition and is bone stock and not modified, cut or changed from the factory specs. The paint is almost all original except for a few places and shines very well for its age. The chrome and brightwork are in great original condition and look great against the bright red. There are a few small cracks in the paint as seen in the pictures. The glass is all original to the car and in great shape with no nicks or cracks. All the original factory badging is present and correct. The original Alfa Romeo wheels are in fantastic shape and look almost new. There is no curb rash present and they are extremely clean. There are five total including a full size spare in the trunk as seen in the pictures. The tires have plenty of tread and are in great shape. They are not original to the car and have been replaced over the years. The interior is in excellent shape for it's age. This car has the option of leather seats from the factory as well as the factory wood steering wheel both of which are extremely rare options to find on a Montreal. The seats are in great condition with only one small hole on the side of each as seen in the pictures. They have adjustable headrests with wood accents. The dash is un-cracked and very clean for its age. All the gauges work although the speedo can jump a bit every once in a while. The current mileage reads 48,900 and is believed to be original to the car although there is no documentation to show it. The fuel gauge works and appears accurate. The temperature gauge works and appears accurate. The tach works and appears accurate. The dash lights work as does the emergency brake light. These gauges are all in Italian and the speedo is in km/hr. The headlights work, the high work, the brake lights work. The emergency brake works. Power windows was an option and this car is equipped with them. The power windows go up and down freely but could probably use some light lubrication. The heater and defroster appear to work as does the horn. The carpet is clean and in original condition. The headliner is in excellent shape and original to the car. The back seats are in great shape and original to the car with no tears or rips. The factory hatch cover is in great shape and also all original. The trunk is very clean and all the carpet is factory and original. The door panels are in great shape for their age and original to the car. The factory 2.6 Liter Dual Overhead-Cam V8 sounds simply amazing! The factory fuel injection works great with no problems and the engine is extremely clean and well kept as you can see in the pictures. When you rev it and hear the superb sound you understand why Alfa Romeo's derive such passion and love from their owners and car aficionado's the world over. The factory ZF 5-Speed manual transmission shifts great. It is original to the car and goes through all the gears smoothly with no binding or sticking. The factory limited slip differential works great and is original to the car. This car will need a new battery. The factory double wishbone suspension with coil springs makes this car ride great! It is smooth going down the road and is a very comfortable ride. The manual steering works well and really gives the driver a feeling of being connected to the road and increases the driving experience exponentially. The power brakes work great and the car stops in a straight line with no pulling to either side. They could stand to be bled to make sure all the air is out of the system. This car is a complete joy to drive and beyond that is is extremely comfortable for a classic Italian sports car. The car is currently title as a 1967 Alfa Romeo Montreal. In 1967 Alfa Romeo did release two Montreals but they were only prototypes and both are at the Alfa Romeo Museum in Italy presently. The prototypes were equipped with 1600cc 6 cylinder engines. When they went into production they were equipped factory with the 2.6 liter V8 derived from the 33 Stradale and Tipo 33 prototype racer. Although titled as a 1967, this car is actually an early 1971 production model. This is due to import laws back in the 60's through 90's. Alfa Romeo's had to have their titles backdated in order to be imported and sold in the states. This is common among all Montreals exported to the U.S. for sale. The Bertone design is unmistakable and timeless. From 1970-1977 there were 3917 Alfa Romeo Montreals produced and a very small number of those still survive today, let alone being found in the U.S. This is an excellent investment/collector car as recently prices are starting to rise dramatically as these hidden gems are found. This is not a car you can just go out and find. They very rarely come on the market in such original, survivor condition. Most people have never even seen one in person. Earlier this year at the Gooding Auction a 1971 Alfa Romeo sold for $176,000.00. That car was not in original condition and was not equipped with factory leather although it was completely restored. It also has a later production # by about 500 units. The previous year a 1973 sold for $99000.00. Also with a later production #. This shows a 56% increase in 12 months. This car can be enjoyed as a survivor or do a full restoration on the car and when you're finished you will have a $200,000.00 piece of art that you can drive. The original owners manual is included. This is your chance. If you have ever wanted an up and coming Italian sports car that is a phenomenal investment that you can drive and enjoy at the same time. This is the car. This car belongs in a private collection when it can be treated with the same love an enjoyment that the previous owner had. It is truly an Italian Masterpiece and sure to go up in value everyday you own it. The classic car market is on fire right now and is a better investment than stocks or laughable bank interest for an excellent rate of return on your money. This car is being sold at NO RESERVE!!! so don't miss this opportunity to own an extremely rare, original California survivor 1967 Alfa Romeo Montreal!

TERMS OF SALE:

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS: (510)299-3031 OR (925)640-8539.

SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY PLEASE.

THERE IS NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.

THIS VEHICLE IS SOLD AS-IS, WHERE-IS.

I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO END THE AUCTION AT ANY TIME.

PLEASE DO NOT BID IF YOU NEED TO GET A LOAN TO COMPLETE THIS TRANSACTION.

NO DEPOSIT IS NECESSARY BUT FULL PAYMENT IS DUE WITHIN THREE (3) DAYS OF THE AUCTION END.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO GET AN INSPECTION PLEASE DO SO BEFORE YOU BID AND BEFORE THE END OF THE AUCTION.

I'M HAPPY TO HELP WITH ORGANIZING AN INSPECTION.

I HAVE DONE MY BEST TO COMPLETELY AND ACCURATELY DESCRIBE THIS CAR.

I ENCOURAGE YOU TO READ THE DESCRIPTION COMPLETELY, LOOK AT ALL THE PICTURES AND SEE THE CAR IN PERSON IF POSSIBLE BEFORE BIDDING.

SHIPPING IS THE BUYERS RESPONSIBILITY.

I AM HAPPY TO HELP WITH SHIPPING ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD SO INTERNATIONAL BUYERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO BID!

I AM LOCATED ONLY MINUTES FROM THE PORT OF OAKLAND AND CAN ARRANGE A DROP-OFF!

ZERO (0) FEEDBACK BIDDERS PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE YOU BID.

PLEASE LOOK AT MY FEEDBACK AND BID WITH CONFIDENCE.
photo a7_zpsed4cbb19.jpg photo a6_zps692b318b.jpg photo a2_zpsd58d3187.jpg photo a1_zps3dc9ce51.jpg photo a10_zps252599d3.jpg photo a3_zps9119edd8.jpg photo a4_zps94631f58.jpg photo a11_zpsed69a11c.jpg photo a8_zps927b2d3b.jpg photo a12_zpsf82f3ddc.jpg photo a9_zps83071e62.jpg photo a13_zps938c6732.jpg photo a5_zpse85d9096.jpg photo a26_zps85849ec9.jpg photo a27_zpsba0986c2.jpg photo a14_zps0fcf057a.jpg photo a16_zps420d7a9e.jpg photo a19_zpsed87f612.jpg photo a34_zps94e207f7.jpg photo a17_zps51e7bdd7.jpg photo a21_zpsd695ab41.jpg photo a15_zps4b11117b.jpg photo a20_zpsa39bbe0d.jpg photo a18_zps59793285.jpg photo a24_zps58753fa6.jpg photo a22_zps87ce215f.jpg photo a28_zpsce565b20.jpg photo a29_zps091ef7e5.jpg photo a35_zps963542c7.jpg photo a36_zpsc1824880.jpg photo a37_zps3ea61bbb.jpg photo a30_zps11a18289.jpg photo a33_zps45101218.jpg photo a31_zps58e0d91d.jpg photo a32_zps684aaabd.jpg photo a23_zps87083be3.jpg photo a25_zpsa9f3a115.jpg photo a38_zps56d96e72.jpg
photo a7_zpsed4cbb19.jpg photo a6_zps692b318b.jpg photo a2_zpsd58d3187.jpg photo a1_zps3dc9ce51.jpg photo a10_zps252599d3.jpg
photo a26_zps85849ec9.jpg photo a27_zpsba0986c2.jpg
photo a28_zpsce565b20.jpg photo a29_zps091ef7e5.jpg
Questions and answers about this item
Q: Nice car. I love the red color. It’s time for the market to appreciate the value of these cars.
A: I do agree. Thank you!
Mar 25, 2014
Ask a question

See less See more
#2 ·
I contacted him initially as he did not have the actual year the car was made in his first listing. His ad was misleading insinuating it was build in 1967. His response to me via e mail was "Fu$k you"
I see he did finally add the year the car was built.
I agree good looking car but he sounds like a girl on her first prom date. way too effusive. we just want the facts. He did not provide the engine number but I am sure it is original. he seems like a jerk to talk to

#3 ·
Looks like a decent, complete specimen with the usual old museum-like car traits. It's "worn a little round in the corners" as we would say around these parts, but looks quite good. Interesting to see what appears to be the original Bertone leather seats option.

A couple of comments:
  • The wood steering wheel wasn't an option. All Montreals were delivered with a Hellebore steering wheel from the factory.
  • The "corrosion" on the bottom of the spare wheel well appears to be just the now dry undercoating peeling off. Hard to say what's under there though, since the seller seems to be more interested in unimportant scratches in the paint and 15ft exterior shots.
  • What's up with the handbrake assembly? Looks unsafe.
  • The car is not original and should in my opinion not be presented as such. Lots of little things have been replaced, repaired or modified: wheel badges, HT leads, ram air tubes, cigarette lighter replaced with a 12V socket, new and cheaper carpets, painted valve covers, aftermarket horns, black "modern" wipers and exhaust system.
  • It has no hazard flasher button. Was it deleted? Looks like the center console had some repairs done, re the missing trim on it.

Sorry to come across as an arrogant nitpick, but the words "$60,000" and "original" calls for better than this.

Looks like a good Montreal though, provided a PPI with a magnet does not uncover any horrors.

#5 ·
TorW, I made a similar list of 'needs' in which you covered most of the items I saw. I noticed also the dash is cracked (like mine) and the brake gaiter looks like an aftermarket replacement. Still compared to the 96,000 and 99,000 cars that sold last year it looks like a good buy to me. The $176,000 car was a 'home run' for the seller and makes this car look like a bargain. That said I would never buy a car sight unseen and would make a trip to CA if I was looking. The power windows were pretty much standard items as were the wood rimmed steering wheels. If you are selling a 60,000 car, you might want to invest $100 in a good battery...

I like the side mirrors on their thin but longer than average stalks and suspect you might actually see what is behind you with them. Is anyone familiar with the manufacturer of these mirrors or where you can get a set? I bought a set of Alfa from Giorgio but they would be very close to the body and the view would be half obscured by the rear hips.

Provided the car is relatively close to the seller’s description, I think he would be wise to invest most likely another 5,000 or so in a complete stem to stern detail and run it through a proven auction. Why not?
Mark (0.02)

#7 ·
Provided the car is relatively close to the seller’s description, I think he would be wise to invest most likely another 5,000 or so in a complete stem to stern detail and run it through a proven auction. Why not?
Because then the 60K dollars wouldn't be so easy? :devil:

The seller seems pretty hung up on VINs, model years and options, which happens to be pretty uninteresting (or even useless) information when it comes to Montreal collectibility and/or desirability, so I assume he's not terribly into Montreals or even period Euro sportscars/GTs in general.

Beware of estate sales peddled by sellers of antiques, knick knack and trinkets.

#8 ·
Obviously with the '67 title it is not a legally entered US car. What he states about Alfa backdating years to legally import is absolutely not true. Granted, many cars have entered and are titled this way but what would happen if the new owner gets burned some how trying to register it. I haven't done this but some owners have registered their illegal cars in another state then retitled the car in their own state. My '72 was imported legally and I have the import and DOT papers to prove it. Now, importing a Montreal is easy and requires no DOT or EPA paperwork. In 2001 I imported a '71 and it was a very easy to do without any government requirements.

#10 ·
I contacted the seller to tell him that it was appropriate to include the actual year the car was manufactured, and told him he did not need to use vulgar language and this was his response:

People like you need to get life. I can't but feel sorry for you. Do what you would like, its not going to change sometimes opinion of my car or keep them from wanting to purchase it. The great thing about my position is that I don't care if the car sells or doesn't.. son your threats mean nothing to me. Please end all contact with me and I dare you to post slander about me or my vehicle. I have too much money and a very very good lawyer. Thank you!

Not a very pleasant person

#14 ·
the 2 parts I like in the ad is "no reserve".........then has a starting price of 1$ less than 60,000$!
duh! that is already a pretty hefty reserve, if you ask me, for this particular monty.
I'd perfer this one over here, for 10k USD less!
CLASSICON Automobilmarketing KG in Hamburg - Freier Händler-Alfa Romeo, Freier Händler-Mercedes-Benz, Freier Händler-Land Rover, Freier Händler-Porsche

and "headliner is in excellent shape"......well, that looks more like a bedouin tent about to collapse on your head!

#15 ·
Spider,
Perhaps it is just me but I have a strong suspicion the second red Montreal may be a scam. The lister used all his letters up discussing the history of the Montreal but gives little or no useful information about the condition and history of that particular car. Don't walk away, :scooter:
Mark

#18 ·
Mine gets plenty of stares and thumbs ups as I drive around town. Being bright orange can do that, I guess.

The "juice-up" I've done to mine has made it thrilling to drive on a winding road. Several of the hot rod Asian-crap cars can out-drag it, however. Had a $hit box Mitsubishi run off and leave me heading up an on ramp a couple of days ago. I think it may have been one of their EVO models, or something.

I'll be ready to let it go to a new home in a year or so, when all the bugs are worked out. Maybe by then 59k will be the entry level for a good looking, well-sorted car.

#21 ·
History of AR1425234

@71 Monti

In what condition was the car when you sold it? Had it been in an previous accident, and if yes, where etc. Any "partial repaint" is never done just for the fun of it. I may be off, but it also appears the doors fit lines are not quite perfect.
Perhaps your historical knowledge of this particular Monti may assist us, the wanna haves, making a better informed decision if it's even worth flying out to see it.

Thanks

#23 · (Edited)
I don't know much about Montreals, but this one down in FL for $23k looks like a much better deal, unless there are lots of undisclosed issues.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I have to wonder if the listing I posted above is for real. Could this be a scam? The listing says that the car's in Florida, but the pics sure don't look like Florida to me. Of course it could have moved recently. Who knows....

#30 ·
I don't know much about Montreals, but this one down in FL for $23k looks like a much better deal...Now that I think of it, I have to wonder if the listing I posted above is for real. Could this be a scam? The listing says that the car's in Florida, but the pics sure don't look like Florida to me.
Good detective work! I can see mountains/hills on the upper left hand side of the photo below - looks more like California than Florida.

#24 ·
davbert.. No. Please re-read my post. I did NOT say my Monty was more capable than the EVO. I said it left me in its smoke in a drag-off up an entrance ramp. Note that I'm not even sure it was an EVO, just a small Mitsubishi with lots of bling making a hellacious racket as it disappeared quickly into the distance. The one things I can say about the Montreal's capability at this point is that it has more handling than power, particularly while doing the hill climb up to Tahoe. My Mazda 6 GT has about equal amounts of both. I reckon the Alfa would be happier with about 80 - 100 more HP, but I don't see me being motivated to make that happen.

#25 ·
MontrealMonti; I had a small accident (rear ended a car) and ended up having to replace the front nose piece (I found an NOS replacement in a warehouse in Italy), so the front of the car was repainted after the repairs were made. Sometime in the cars past it was repainted from metallic orange to red and it was "skim coated" (1/4 to 3/8 in. thick) with bondo, those are the cracks that can be seen in the picture of the rear hatch. The main reason for selling it was that it was very uncomfortable to sit in, the seats are from a sedan and are too high, that's why the naugahyde covers have the wrong pattern. Also, here's a link to the BaT article when I had it listed for sale.
1971 Alfa Romeo Montreal

#26 ·
Thanks! Either the seller is paying attention to this thread or someone told him the facts, 'cause the listing no longer says "Original, untouched, unmolested and uncut". Next thing you know the price drops to something nearer its real value.

So, they're not the optional Bertone leather seats after all? Do you know what car they came from?

#27 ·
Hallo Tor :001_smile:
I own a german price list where the Montreal is offered with "extras optional: leather interior + sun roof". The seats look like original in the very perfect hand made like a profi is doing it (and they are old). Maybe I am wrong and the leather cover is from a GT 1. serie ???

Generally I don't want to be arrogant or impolite - but for me this car is NOT worth 60k ! I was watching the less technic pics more than 1 x and there is not much enough of details to see, the paint is not the first and the interior looks to me like parking 25 years in a corner. About the engine, spica, gearbox, axles, steeringbox, original kilometer, old electric etc I won't say much far of this car for any personal check, but when we will offer our Montreal (what of course is not 100 % perfect) I will take maybe less... My fist and second view on screen let me NOT spend 60.Ks,there are a lot arround in much better condition. Just to see the original first (OLD) cables, who are a base for much trubble, nothing changed to new/in old look like today to get, etc.... ! 60thousend is a high number what will be earned and you don't know the secret little sicknesses of this baby. I guess this offer (like a lot these days) is a try to make quick money after the 2 US offers/solds what let some guys hoping for getting a "millionair"... pfff
The sound of seller is very interesting: firstly he is impolite and "in the wrong movie"!! and secondly he maybe knows quite good that something of his long text is just a fairy tale ?? No reason for him to be so nasty, or (like we germans say) : This horse has rotten teeth... (?)

Hope you and family is ok?!
Take care
Hannelore

#29 ·
Well, wouldn't we be happy if he got either his previous price, or this one? It would certainly make me feel better for the cost and effort I'm putting into mine.

#33 ·
Relevant to "what's it worth?"

I paid 29,500 for mine a little over a year ago. Some people might have said that I overpaid by perhaps 5k - 10k, but immediately after buying I got a couple of notes from guys essentially saying "which I had moved more quickly", at least one of whom had made a lower offer that probably seemed more in line with the market of the previous year.

I've now got about 60k in it, and have not yet tackled much of the engine bay. The reality of it is that a nice, presentable Montreal THAT HAS BEEN WELL MAINTAINED is going to cost this much. I think the day of the attractive driver for 20k is about 24 months in our rear view mirror. I got caught on mine because it appeared to be well maintained and had been looked after by a reputable Alfa mechanic that I know, but in reality a lot of stuff was worn out. It's all fixed now, and this car will drive for a long time without further chassis maintenance. Once the engine bay is cleaned up and tuned, it'll be good to go for a very long time.

60k, I think, is a reasonable price for a well-maintained driver that needs nothing to enjoy. If it has mechanical issues, rust, discoverable damage, then the price comes down because the costs go up.

#34 ·
4th march car is offered for 24.000$, yesterday to see for 60.000$, today .. 100.995$ and tomorrow is 1st Arpril - then 1 Mio ???

Ha ha ha, can't stopp to laugh. What a discount, I should hurry not to miss this big special offer.

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:
Hannelore

#36 ·
Hannelore: You gave me a good laugh. I bet you can smell a bad one, or even a medium monti from far away.

What's worse, Not having a Montreal, or having a bad one?
good morning,

well, to have a bad one is no problem - our start was with a bad one and got later a BIG investment of work and money (more worth than a 2nd car). But the price for a car must be realistic when I know that much money is still to pump in a car to make it safe and in acceptable condition for the owner. The first years when we used the car it was after a "quick" resto in shape(see photos of first resto) -3 (1 is perfect) just to have fun and enjoyment of this beauty. When the restoration started we said: one time nearly perfect that all the efforts let us no more thinking about any further restoration in some years. It needed many years to finish (some years we did not touch it by job or sickness etc.) than we spend weekends over years to restore, to buy so many new parts, cables, tubes, screws (shop had a red carpet for us because the car got nearly all screws new and the guy was smiling, hmmm). I was proud to help in many corners of Monti what helped Dirk to safe time for the big things. The restoration what we nearly did all time together let me grow to have a look for details like the windows, all chrome around the car, the interior etc. etc. I enjoyed it very much to be the third hand Dirk need - and this make the moment so great when we turned key first time and the V8 vrooom let beat our hearts faster. You should see our smile ! Later you see what you missed or made wrong, sure... Of course was this restoration not our profession, we were looking a bit with blue eyes in future: what I can dismantle I can also put together again - can't be a so big problem. Ja ja...

I never look down to people who can't repair anything on their car and let this job do others. Maybe they can do things I never learn - this makes it equal. But the connection to this car we have is written with blood from our fingers, sometimes lost here and there on sharp edges. :wacko:

To own a Montreal - or any other Oldtimer - is always a love affair and no question of shape but the price must be in relation to the condition. In this red Montreal (I make a bet) is still much to invest, I don't believe that you just jump in and drive away for years without problems. Just the price and how it grew let my head shake like my hips when I was dancing Twist in the 60th. The price inflation of this car in a few days is ridiculous and let me think that the 24.000$ of march 4th was realistic of cars shape - but fast money can make some hungry.

Definitive, it is worse to have NO Montreal (in any condition) ! :punk:

Just some less thoughts...
hannelore

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.