Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently removed my Montreal Gearbox for a rebuild as there has been a slight whine for a long time.Anyway, I am going to post a few pictures of the process. I think the pictures are more help because you can use them as a reference as well.
Here are some pictures of the Cross Member. I removed it, stripped off all the paint, degreased and then etch primed it. Finally painted it with a semi flat black and baked it in the oven at 170 degrees for a couple of hours. Turned out quite well I must say.
I then fitted the new Gearbox Mount that I purchased from Classic Alfa. I must give them a a big shout out for their shipping. I have ordered a number of smallish parts and Classic Alfa have shipped all of them by DHL. 3 days for shipping from the UK to the USA! That's amazing and includes weekends as well. We cannot get shipping within the USA by USPS in that time frame!
For those of you thinking of replacing the Gearbox Mount, the part supplied by Classic Alfa is a very nicely made item. The only issue was when I went to fit it to the 2 upstanding flanges of the Cross Member, I found the Mount about 6.0 to 7.0 mm wider. I could not manually squeeze the rubber down. In the end I compressed the Rubber Mount in my vice and then fed it on to the Cross Member. O/I do not remember the old Mount to be as wide. I finished it all off with Grade 10.9 Bolts and here are some pictures of the finished product.

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Cross Member #1.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Cross Member #2.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Cross Member #3.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Cross Member #5.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Cross Member #6.jpg

Hope that the pictures are helpful. Any questions, please contact me.

Karl Robertson

Attachments

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
The cross member turned out beautifully. It looks like getting the mount fitted in the cross member was a royal pain. Hopefully when the transmission is resting on top of the mount, it will flatten out some. Installation on the car may not be easy. Even with my car on jack stands I could not see the transmission mount without crawling under the car and I didn't want to do that this morning.

What do you think is causing the transmission whine, a bad bearing? Ward W. had the transmission on the Autodelta Montreal rebuilt recently.

Mark

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had to squeeze my new mount in the vice also to get it to fit

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And here are a few reasons why... the Overall Width of the new Gearbox Mount is quite a few mm wider than the Cross Member Flanges it's supposed to fit into. Here are some pictures.
Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Cross Member Dimensions #A.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Cross Member Dimensions #B.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Cross Member Dimensions #C.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Cross Member Dimensions #D.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Cross Member Dimensions #E.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Cross Member Dimensions #F.jpg

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now here are some pictures of the Area that the Gearbox has to go back into. The Rear face of the Engine, Flywheel, Clutch and Pressure Plate.

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Ready to accept Gearbox #1.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Ready to accept Gearbox #1.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Ready to accept Gearbox #2.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Ready to accept Gearbox #3.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Ready to accept Gearbox #4.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Ready to accept Gearbox #5.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Ready to accept Gearbox #6.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Ready to accept Gearbox #7.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Ready to accept Gearbox #8.jpg

That's it for today! Dinner is calling, or rather my wife is!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Carl,
As you have your gearbox out of the car could I ask you to measure the rubber bush that is on the tail shaft. It's a tapered bush and fits on the shaft and locates in the middle of the flexible doughnut. Mine is in a very bad state and want to find something to replace it with.
Anybody out there done this?
I can't even find it in the parts manual. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Regards Geoff

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Geoff, I don't know of a "Rubber" Bush there. All I know is that the Output Shaft from the Gearbox has a Small "Olive" fitted to it. That goes into the Metal Bush at the Front end (Nose) of the Drive Shaft. The Rubber Guibo bolts to the 4 Fingers of the Output Shaft. Not into a Rubber Bush. I will attach some pictures of the Output Shaft end of my Gearbox.
Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #1.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #2.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #3.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #4.jpg

With Thrust Bearing and Clutch Fork assembled.

Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #5.jpg

This is the picture of the Gearbox Output Shaft, 4 Bolt Flange and Metal "Olive" attached. This goes into the Front / Nose of the Front Section of the Drive Shaft. I will try ato get a picture of the Front of the Drive Shaft for Geoff.

Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #7.jpg
Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #6.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #1.jpg
Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #2.jpg
Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #3.jpg
Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #4.jpg
Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #6.jpg
Alfa Romeo Montreal - ZF Gearbox with Clutch Housing #7.jpg

Final image showing ZF Plate with recommended Oil (SAE 90).

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some pictures of the Front End (Nose) of the Drive Shaft. The Gearbox Output Shaft and the "Olive go into this Nose Bushing.
Alfa Romeo Montreal - DriveShaft End with Nose Bushing #1.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - DriveShaft End with Nose Bushing #2.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - DriveShaft End with Nose Bushing #3.jpg

This is what the Output Shaft "Olive" from the Gearbox goes into.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Carl
Thanks so much for pictures, your car looks in great condition. I hope I am not hi-jacking your thread, it just seemed the ideal opportunity to inquire about the part I need. In fact you have provided the perfect photo for me. It is the part sitting between the the large nut and the olive

Is there anybody who can help with this, I would consider trying to cut a bush out of something but rubber is very difficult to shape. Thanks again
Regards Geoff

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also a small felt pad, probably soaked in oil for lubrication goes into the nose of the drive shaft to help lubricant the transmission Olive.

I made one from some sheet Felt that I ordered from McMaster Carr 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick felt will work

I don’t have a source for the rubber dust shield

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try Larry Dickman Jr. he will probably know and may even have some, the rubber, domed piece and the felt pad

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far.
Carl could I ask you please to take a measurement of the thickness of the part and diameter of the back and front, many thanks in advance. Also I don't know of Larry Dickmam with me being this side of the pond, could you provide his contact details please. Cheers Geoff

·
Registered
177 Posts
Also a small felt pad, probably soaked in oil for lubrication goes into the nose of the drive shaft to help lubricant the transmission Olive.

I made one from some sheet Felt that I ordered from McMaster Carr 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick felt will work

I don’t have a source for the rubber dust shield

That's interesting Jeff, The part is shown I think it's 105.64.15.104.00. In the parts book it is a parallel bush so I am wondering if they wear down to a tapper, any thoughts?

·
Registered
165 Posts
That's interesting Jeff, The part is shown I think it's 105.64.15.104.00. In the parts book it is a parallel bush so I am wondering if they wear down to a tapper, any thoughts?
I'm not sure Geoff, when I disassembled my drive shaft for rebuilding the remains of this bushing or felt just crumbled out of the nose of the drive shaft. It seemed like oil soaked felt to me so that is what I replaced it with.

Jeff

·
Registered
165 Posts
After rereading your post and double checking the part number 105.64.15.104.00, I think the bushing is tapered from the factory. it's a hard steel bushing and any wearing would look pretty ugly on the driveshaft.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As you can see from my pictures, The Output Shaft from the Gearbox has a 4 Bolt Flange held on by a Large Lock Nut which has to be punched after it is tightened. The Rubber Domed Seal is more to act as a buffer to keep the Front Nose of the Drive Shaft from moving forward too much and hitting the Lock Nut.

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Output Flange Lock Nut Seal_Buffer #1.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Output Flange Lock Nut Seal_Buffer #2.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Output Flange Lock Nut Seal_Buffer #3.jpg

This is the Seal / Buffer that slides over the metal Olive on the Output Shaft.

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Output Flange Lock Nut Seal_Buffer #4.jpg

O/D of the Seal / Buffer is 36.0 to 37.0 mm. The I/D is around 19.0 to 20.0 mm enough to stretch a bit when it goes over the Olive. The Seal is about 9.0 to 10.0 mm thick

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Output Flange Lock Nut Seal_Buffer #5.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Output Flange Lock Nut Seal_Buffer #6.jpg

I hope this answers your question Geoff. If you cannot find a Alfa Montreal Seal / Buffer, I am sure you can find something at your local Hardware Store, probably in the Plumbing section. It doesn't do too much, acts as a dust seal and maybe a buffer when the Gearbox moves rearwards or the Drive Shaft moves forwards. You cannot see it because it is covered by the Rubber Guibo.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is another thread going on with regards to the Gearbox Mount and the Gearbox Cross Member. I am going to address this here rather than duplicating myself. Picture show the Gearbox Mount, the Gearbox Cross Member, 4 bolts holding the Cross Member to the underbody an also a small image of the Speedometer Cable Drive.

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Mount and Cross Member #1.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Mount and Cross Member #2.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Mount and Cross Member #3.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Mount and Cross Member #4.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Mount and Cross Member #5.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Gearbox Mount and Cross Member #6.jpg

This last image shows the Rear of the Extension Housing fir the Gearshift pulled up tight to the Tunnel. I added the Grey, soft Foam piece to seal off the opening around the Gearshift and minimize Gearbox and road noise coming up through the Tunnel. You may choose to do this or not, your choice...!!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While buttoning up the Gearbox re-install I have to mention mounting the Hydraulic Cylinder that is mounted to the Clutch Housing on the right hand side by the 3 Studs captive to the Clutch or Bell Housing. You will have to grease and lubricate the Thrust or Throw-out Bearing and install the main Actuating Arm before installing the Gearbox to the Engine, The Clutch Actuating arm has a small cup like end into which the Ball fitting from the Hydraulic Cylinder needs to go. This should also be greased or lubricated. The installation is rather awkward as there is not much room for large hands and fingers!. Tighten the 3 Nuts on the Studs evenly, making sure that the Clutch Actuating Arm is in the correct position.

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Clutch Hydraulic Cylinder Mounting #1.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Clutch Hydraulic Cylinder Mounting #2.jpg

The Exhaust Headers to the Main section of the Exhaust Pipe Needs to be thoroughly cleaned, preferably with a smallish Wire Brush and then connected, Make sure you have the 2 Copper Exhaust Gaskets. They are of a Triangular shape with 3 Bolts per side. Try to get Copper Nuts if possible, you will need 6 off.

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Exhaust Header to Pipe Connect #1.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Exhaust Header to Pipe Connect #2.jpg

Alfa Romeo Montreal - Exhaust Header to Pipe Connect #3.jpg

I am going to take a break now! Have to climb back under the car to finish off the rest of the Driveshaft installation. Then I can get onto buttoning up the Engine Compartment.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If anyone has any questions or comments, please, now would be a good time to air them. I am trying to add as many photographs because most of us work better with pictures, at least I do.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts