Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did alfa ever sell cars in the philippines?

thanks

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,002 Posts
.. i don't know if they sold( at dealership ) but i have lots of freinds in the philippines, and i saw about a dozen of them last year...some older ones some newer one( the one's we don't get)..before anyone here makes any rude commets..i went to high school in the philippines. my father is a Marine...we where stationed there..... a year or so ago.. i remember someone posting from the phiippines, they had a spider..

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
Historical records indicate that Alfa Romeo sold a 2600 SZ directly to the Philippines in 1967, but I don't know if they had any official local representation (such as authorized agents, dealers and/or distributors).

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
alfa

alfa had a distributor in manila in the 90's. i don't think they are in business there any longer...? they never had official distributors there prior as far as i'm concerned. we have some bb members here that may be able to shed more light. there are a handful of collectors that have fully restored samples...i have a book on the history of automobile racing in the philippines and they had gta's, coopers, lotus and other fine makes there being raced in the 60's! i'd be glad to share photos if anyone is interested....gotta dig the book in my garage.

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
alfa had a distributor in manila in the 90's. i don't think they are in business there any longer...? they never had official distributors there prior as far as i'm concerned. we have some bb members here that may be able to shed more light. there are a handful of collectors that have fully restored samples...i have a book on the history of automobile racing in the philippines and they had gta's, coopers, lotus and other fine makes there being raced in the 60's! i'd be glad to share photos if anyone is interested....gotta dig the book in my garage.
I do have one customer in Manila, he owns a 164 and maybe spider.
Not sure details on anything else alfa had to do with in the philippines.
I think they sold 155, 164, spider and others

J

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I know for sure there are Alfisti there.

I cant seem to find the thread but one guy from the Philippines posted some of his cars here on the site. The one car that stands out in my head was his green GT that was lowered and had white wall tires on it. A very nice car.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
gtv

simon,
the green gtv with white wall tires is from thailand. i know of two guys that belong to the bb. one is a good friend with a really nice red euro gt junior and the other has a spider.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
simon,
the green gtv with white wall tires is from thailand. i know of two guys that belong to the bb. one is a good friend with a really nice red euro gt junior and the other has a spider.
Whooops!! My apologies to the owner of the white walled car. I stand corrected.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm in manila on a business trip. There's bber goes by the name MDC (michael)who owns a 73 yellow spider. I sent him a PM. Hopefully, he respond and get to see his Spider.

I have been to the Philippines many times and haven't seen a single Alfa on the road.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
alfa

dave, a good number of classic car enthusiasts gather at fort bonifacio someplace (starbucks?) every saturday morning for coffee with their ferraris, porsches, lamborghinis...you name it...ala cars and coffee. you might want to inquire around.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Classic cars and Starbucks? I'll be there for sure :cool:
Thanks for the info Benji. I'll enquire around about the place.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks everyone for the responses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Alfas in the Philippines

Interesting query....Alfas are not a popular car in the Philippines but there are a handful of hard core Alfistis.

Alfa did have a dealership in the Philippines between 89-95 that sold a number of 155s, GTVs (the 2.0 liter Turbo 6 cylinder version), and a handful of 164 TB (6-cyl turbos). The dealer who brought-in the Alfa went into financial difficulties as he also partnered with the Malaysian Group to manufacture and assemble Protons. The venture didn't do well which also coincided with the Asian crisis in 97, and despite the huge investment in the Proton plant, only 6 Proton cars were completed. The owner went into bankruptcy and as he could no longer suppor the Alfa dealership, it had to close.

There are several active car clubs in the Philippines. Notably, the Manila Sports Car Club which meets every first Sunday of each month. Other active clubs include the Porsche, Miata, Mini Cooper, VW, Benz, and Muscle Car clubs each having there own events.

Japanese car manufaturers dominate the motoring scene in the Philippines. However, the luxury car market is dominated by BMW, Audi, and MB. Among the German Sports cars, Porsche and BMW have a very strong following due to the aggressive marketing efforts of the two brands.

As to the Alfas, there are a few 60s and 70s Alfas that include the GTVs, Spiders, a GTA that were brought in by individuals during these periods. And yes, there is a 2600 Zagato.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just got back from the philippines today.

no alfa sitings to report on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On Saturday and Sunday mornings you'll find a profusion of vintage and modern sports cars at Burgos Circle in Fort Bonifacio. This is the rotunda with all the cafes and restaurants that is part of the Forbeswood Heights complex and adjacent to Manila Golf Club.

@dpliz, would you know who the Manila Alfisti go to for maintainance/restoration of their 60s/70s Alfas? I'm considering acquiring one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just took possession of 1996 Alfa Romeo 164 2.0 TB Super. I'm one block from Burgos Circle in Fort Bonifacio. I would like to know where is the best place for regular maintenance such as tune-up and oil change.
A few weeks ago the Burgos Circle were invaded by the Porsche Club. When is our turn to invade?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just acquired my 1996 164 TB Super last week. Any alfa fans here residing near Fort Bonifacio, Philippines? I just moved in the area of Fort. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Earlier this month there was a nice 164 V6 stuck in traffic next to me, and it was of US origin. That was on the motorway from Makati to Batangas.
Last year, or the year before (?) I saw a bright yellow spider 916 in Cebu town center, on Gorordo ave...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts