Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,007 Posts
"it was in California for some of its life and that took a toll on the paint and interior"

Never understood how car covers went out of favor, esp in sunlit areas such as Cal,, etc. They can easily save OEM paint and interiors. All of my Alfas through the decades have had car covers. Almost all with clean OEM paint after years, except for the 78 Alfetta sedan which was hit by young drivers two times, and my 91 164S, which was well keyed by a walk on water moron in Oregon.

Interesting take on your car, to be painted British racing colors. I might have painted it a nice classy looking dark blue to better match the interior. Few cars look good in green for some reason. One was the 164 with "power green" paint.

Have fun restoring it, although I have to admit that I don't exactly understand the addition of a start button, lol.

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
"it was in California for some of its life and that took a toll on the paint and interior"

Never understood how car covers went out of favor, esp in sunlit areas such as Cal,, etc. They can easily save OEM paint and interiors. All of my Alfas through the decades have had car covers. Almost all with clean OEM paint after years, except for the 78 Alfetta sedan which was hit by young drivers two times, and my 91 164S, which was well keyed by a walk on water moron in Oregon.

Interesting take on your car, to be painted British racing colors. I might have painted it a nice classy looking dark blue to better match the interior. Few cars look good in green for some reason. One was the 164 with "power green" paint.

Have fun restoring it, although I have to admit that I don't exactly understand the addition of a start button, lol.
The interior is getting a color change to dark brown. I do like blues but the last car I restored was blue so I’m trying to switch things up. As far as the push to start I’ve just always wanted to put one of those in a old car 😂 plus I’m going to need the auxiliary switches. More people should use car covers but they don’t. It’s good for me though because this car looked ugly but mechanically everything had under 5,000 miles since being rebuilt

·
Registered
103 Posts
looking awesome - you posted about having issues taking your engine out - how did you finally get it out? I'm curious - just digging into mine - RUST RUST RUST ;(

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
looking awesome - you posted about having issues taking your engine out - how did you finally get it out? I'm curious - just digging into mine - RUST RUST RUST ;(

It’s kind of embarrassing but I didn’t take the propshaft out. I thought I could get away with it without taking out the propshaft

·
Registered
103 Posts
well I will be bugging you - my engine compartment looks like SHEET---- I am going to pull the motor - gearbox - etc -and clean everything up - I found a TON of rust today ;( will be learning how to weld on this car ;( pray for her.

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
well I will be bugging you - my engine compartment looks like SHEET---- I am going to pull the motor - gearbox - etc -and clean everything up - I found a TON of rust today ;( will be learning how to weld on this car ;( pray for her.
That’s fine😂. Make sure to weld with mig NOT flux core

21 - 33 of 33 Posts