Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've got another question. Should fuel always be running through the return line? I threw a clear filter on it and the return line flows fuel when it's cold but once it's warmed up it stops flowing. I'm really new to this fuel injection is this normal or is this my fuel pressure regulator acting up? I still haven't gotten a chance to test the fuel pressure, O'Reilly said they were getting a new gauge tomorrow.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Should fuel always be running through the return line?
I would assume so. The fuel pump puts out a little over the required pressure & volume, the regulator controls the pressure by sending any excess back via the return line. There are pumps that have the same dimensions but they put out too much pressure. The FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) cannot control that amount of pressure.

The usual reason for a FPR failure is that the internal diaphragm breaks. A quick test is to remove the vacuum hose and check for the presence of raw gas (sniff, taste - no not taste, look for wetness).

·
Registered
508 Posts
At idle, more fuel goes back to the tank than into the engine. If it didn't, the fuel pump would not be providing near enough fuel at high throttle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 1983 Alfa Romeo GTV6 sometimes the car does not want to start up when it's cold and needs extra throttle to start. Sometimes however it will start up on its own, it's kind of hit and miss. But my biggest problem is it'll run fine for the most part when cold, except it will backfire through the intake if it's given too much throttle too quickly. and once it's warmed up it'll seem to idle and rev just fine. But whenever I get out and start to drive it is when more problems start happening. when I drive it it'll be okay for a little bit and then it'll start surging and popping through the intake badly. When it starts doing this I can't give it any throttle at all It only wants to idle. The car will also not drive faster than about 5 mph. I don't know what the problem is I've dug into just about everything I could think of, I changed all the fuel filters fuel pump made sure the tank was venting correctly. Would you guys have any ideas? Could be something just simple?
i'd check injectors with weak springs letting in fuel when it's not supposed to.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts