Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody
I am new to this forum even though i got alot of help from this forum while restoring my beautiful 1973 Alfa romeo Gt junior 1600 , this car has really grown on me and i love it more and more , but i am puzzled by a engine swap , i want to do a engine swap , i am not sure if there has been alredy posted here about this topic but mine may be a bit difrent , i want to put an alfa twin spark engine or a v6 from alfa 75 , but i dont know wich one would be a better option , which one performs better and will give me that extra power that will keep up or beat most modern day cars ,if i do chose either one of them what are the modifications envolved , and how complicated is it to install the ecu that comes with these motors
Just in a litle bit of a difrent topic if i were to turbo charge the nord engine what type of turbo would i use and how much extra hp would it add , is it more worth it then engine swap?
Sorry about all the questions hope you guys can help
Regards

·
Registered
731 Posts
First off you can get plenty of go from a 2 litre nord with a little head work and intake cam change . Have a look through the posts here plenty of people have done it and are very happy with the results. Second we like pictures . A 2 litre motor has a lot of torque and will pull really well . But in saying that these are not drag cars a big v8 is going to beat you, with a nice tight suspension you will out handle most cars .Quite a few people have cars with major mods including Alfa v6 conversions and TS engines in 105 bodies , but it is big bucks to make it work. (got a turbo on my truck but not on a car so I can't comment on wether or not that is a way to go) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First off you can get plenty of go from a 2 litre nord with a little head work and intake cam change . Have a look through the posts here plenty of people have done it and are very happy with the results. Second we like pictures . A 2 litre motor has a lot of torque and will pull really well . But in saying that these are not drag cars a big v8 is going to beat you, with a nice tight suspension you will out handle most cars .Quite a few people have cars with major mods including Alfa v6 conversions and TS engines in 105 bodies , but it is big bucks to make it work. (got a turbo on my truck but not on a car so I can't comment on wether or not that is a way to go) Hope this helps.
Thank you for your response , i appolegise for no photos ill soon post some , based on what you said it seems the 2.0 motor is good option , what about changing cams on 1600 to a 2.0 cams , and maybe changing to electric distributer ?
Thanks
Regards

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Cams

I have had three Alfas with "built" 2 L motors.

Would suggest you look into RJR cams. Richard Jemison Racing.

Modern profiles with lots of torque over a broad rev range.

No real need to go to bigger valves or turbo, which when properly done is V. expensive. I ran a turboed 2 L Alfetta Sports Sedan for some 18 years.

Alfapartical has been running an almost a full-race 2 L in a later model Spider. Using RJ cams.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your response. So you suggest those cams ? Where can i get them and is it avalabel for europe?
Regards

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Engine swap

it really depends on where you want to end up and what you want to spend.

Do you want it to "look" stock under the hood? My favorite Nord motor is the 1750 if you can find one. It just drives so different than a 2000.

Do you want tons of power, the ability to run a/c and are willing to spend $$$?

This is what I did:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-conversions/205487-my-v6-stepnose-underway.html

Good luck and have fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts