Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KMW Motorsports will be back in IMSA for the 2020 season!

?

Hopefully Risi Competizione will be back in the SRO Motorsports America TC America series...

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I'm pleased that KMW will be back with the #5 car - good news for Alfisti. They showed good potential in '19, and I hope they'll be capitalizing on what they learned for this season.

James Walker, Jr. will not be returning to TCR in the SRO series, and it appears that Risi won't be competing. Hopefully something will change and there will be an Alfa in TCR in that series as well.

I'll be writing up the Alfa efforts in TCR for Alfa Owner, and I'd appreciate any photographs anyone takes at the races. If anyone wants to write up a short article about a race, we'd appreciate that as well. You can always reach me at [email protected].

Ciao,

Mike Hemsley

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First race of the 2020 season this Friday (Jan 24) 1 PM to 5 PM EST live from Daytona at link

Our lone Alfa Giulietta against six Audi RS3's, five Hyundai Veloster N's, and six Honda Civics.

(Or Italy vs. Germany vs. Korea vs. Japan, if you prefer. :) )

·
Registered
854 Posts
Headed to Daytona right now, to see the guys at KMW

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
That is a first, correct? Awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, a first.

But they finished 13th.

Does anyone know what happened?

(I was at work and couldn't watch the race.)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Exhaust header broke and something else, fixed it and went back out and finished race.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Headed to Daytona right now, to see the guys at KMW
Please let me know if you got photos and are willing to share them for Alfa Owner. It's time to start coverage of KMW and their TCR effort. Thanks, Mike ([email protected])

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the KMW Motorsports facebook page:

"Ups and downs but we got the pole position, and led the first stint solidly. A cracked exhaust manifold took us out for 14 laps but we came back in and worked back up to p13. Our day is coming. Our little black Alfa is quick and our drivers have a handle on it."

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, this year the car has a Quadrifoglio on the fenders! This should appease the ghosts of Alfa racers past. ?

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh well, bumped off the track on lap one in TC America race at the Circuit of the Americas.

Hope the can have the car ready for tomorrow morning's second race.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Thanks for the update - I had a commitment and could not watch the live stream.

How did he qualify?

Mike

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Thanks, but bummer. Hopefully they'll be back in action tomorrow and can show the potential of that car.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In today's race 2, Block started last due to the events of yesterday but finished 6th overall (and 6th in class). The pieces are all there, everything just needs to be optimized. On the other hand, those Hyundai Velosters are very fast winning both races this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
COVID-19 takes its toll:

TC America race at St. Petersburg, FL this weekend cancelled.

IMSA 12 Hours of Sebring scheduled for next weekend postponed until November.

Here is a picture of what the car would have looked like if the Florida race went as scheduled--
image.png

1 - 20 of 50 Posts