Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parts For Classic Cars Is A Business Located In Los Angeles, CA.

We Have A 1958 Giulietta Spider Veloce Engine For Sale. Haven't Really Found Anything Online So Not Sure In Terms Of Pricing But Wanted To Ask And See If Anyone Had Any References Or Had An Idea Of A Price Point For This Engine.

You Can Always Give Us A Call At (877)630-5558 or Send Us An Email At [email protected]

Thanks,
Jacob

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
Your engine appears to have been assembled from a whole lot of different parts. I think the block is 1600 GTV 00536, Head might be from the same engine, but the cam cover, intake manifold and Solex as well as the sump are from other engines. Some better shots of the sump would show if it is a 101-1600 Giulia Veloce, worth more than the one piece 1600 Giulia Normale. Front cover on the engine also appears Giulia GT 1600, not Giulietta 1300.

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
Thanks Dave!

·
Super Moderator
3,651 Posts
Wow, long time since I've seen a real bitsa engine like that one, agree with the wise folks above on numbers and parts, but looks like an alloy 1600 Normale oil pan to me, carb & inlet manifold are definitely 105 Giulia Ti from '62 onwards. Block is '66 Giulia Sprint GTV or Duetto Spider 1600 as Dave noted.

It's an amalgamation of bits set up to run in a 750 or 101 chassis, the LHS lower flange has been hacked a bit to clear the early oil filter.

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
336 Posts
Jacob asked for a price point on what he thought was a ‘58 Veloce engine. I’m curious, now with the identification of some of its bits and pieces (and that’s just on the outside) what is the value of this engine? Best if sold in pieces for him? If purchased as is, one really wouldn’t know it’s true value until it’s been safely tanked and thoroughly inspected, right?

·
Super Moderator
11,388 Posts
With such a combination of parts from different points in time, unless disassembled and inspected, the assembly as-is has little value, other than to someone willing to risk money. Disassembled, cleaned and inspected, the components should offer more value than the whole. As is, I might feel safe offering $200 for it, knowing disassembled and checked, some components ARE worth more than $200, but there would be time / labor involved in sorting it out, and finding buyers for the parts. If it's junk inside, components offer minimal value as scrap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow I am blown away by the number of responses from members of this community! Thank you to everyone that responded as I was having trouble finding out about this engine doing research online.

Now that I have a bit more information it seems like it would be best to break it down and sell it individually rather than as a whole.

·
Super Moderator
3,651 Posts
it seems like it would be best to break it down and sell it individually rather than as a whole.
You would only get better pricing if you stripped and cleaned and in some cases refurbished parts, so you have to balance up the cost of your time vs what the increase in value of the parts may be.

I have 3 of those Giulia Ti intake manifolds, can't give them away...

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
336 Posts
Jacob,
If you do decide to break it down, you may want to check out the recent thread about the Alfa factory never painting the engine blocks, only offered for the cam covers for certain years. Funny, a ‘56 Spider recently showed up for inspection in a friend’s shop here in Ohio from an estate settlement in Santa Monica. Had the exact same color red sprayed around some of its engine too. Some shop must have happy red spray can users there. Good luck with your Young Frankenstein engine....Abby something!

·
Registered
160 Posts
That engine looks very familiar!!! Definitely not a 58 750 series engine. There used to be an Alfa guy here in the Philadelphia suburbs in the 70s and 80s named Len Parnell. He used to build Alfa “Frankenstein engines” and cars. His signature was painting them Chevy orange or a grey/blue color, or a combination of both. My Dad bought the remains of his business in the early 80s. Definitely looks like one of his concoctions. That block is the most valuable part if it’s good. 105.36 1600 GTV/Duetto blocks are not easy to come by and are desired now if those cars are missing their original engines. Jonathan

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Is this engine still for sale? I`ve been after a 1600 single carb engine to replace the 1750 GTV (Euro spec) engine in our Giulia Ti.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is this engine still for sale? I`ve been after a 1600 single carb engine to replace the 1750 GTV (Euro spec) engine in our Giulia Ti.

Yes, it is still available. I am not sure in terms of pricing considering the uniqueness of the engine consisting of multiple car parts. But I am sure we can work something out!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts