Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an Alfa Romeo electric conversion. Details can be found at <a>http://www.skewray.com/alfa</a> for anyone curious enough. The car itself, a 1976 Spider Veloce, could best be described as "restorable." Questions:

* Is a decent shop manual available?

* Can the differential gear ratios be changed, and to what?

* Does anyone have an old top that I could buy? The one on it had the back window cut out to make bady repairs, rather than unscrew it! Think of it as recycling that old vinyl.

* The previous owner gave me two sets of seats, supposedly the originals and a set from about '86, I think. How can I tell which is which, and from which years? I am thinking about fixing up the original seats and selling the other pair.

* What is a good place to get a cheap but serviceable roll bar? I am more interested in a good place to mount seat belts than flipping the car over.

Thanks for any tips!

Brian

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Cool! I believe your car came with a 4:56 rear end, there are also 4:10, 3:7(0?) and 5:12 units that I know of, usually one change the entire rear axle assmebly as a unit, it is not too difficult. I believe somebody has a rollbar for sale on this site. There are seatbelt mounts built into the body: I know of the ones on either side of driveshaft tunnel and on the interior door sills, someone else may know of other and/or by able to post pix. I would drop those impact bumpers (heavy!) there are fiberglass replacemnets out there. Post pictures of the seats, they should be easy to identify. Autobooks Manual: Guilia, 1750, 2000 1962-1978, by Kenneth Ball, Intereurope Manual, and there are CD manuals. RK in the OC

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Is it a twin cam aluminum electric motor? I think if you use the search on here you can find most of what you're looking for. Also keep in mind most Alfa people really really like the motor that came in the car from the factory and don't think highly of replacing it with something else.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That's quite the car! Very interesting.

How does it drive? I'm assuming you want a new axle for a reason...

I think there are companies that will replace just the rear window, if that's the only problem. Check with a local interior shop- I know a few in the Detroit area that do tops quite well.

Eric

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the original seats should have vertical pleating, the later seats horizontal. I think they changed around '79.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rogerspeed said:
Cool! I believe your car came with a 4:56 rear end, there are also 4:10, 3:7(0?) and 5:12 units that I know of, usually one change the entire rear axle assmebly as a unit, it is not too difficult. I believe somebody has a rollbar for sale on this site. There are seatbelt mounts built into the body: I know of the ones on either side of driveshaft tunnel and on the interior door sills, someone else may know of other and/or by able to post pix. I would drop those impact bumpers (heavy!) there are fiberglass replacemnets out there. Post pictures of the seats, they should be easy to identify. Autobooks Manual: Guilia, 1750, 2000 1962-1978, by Kenneth Ball, Intereurope Manual, and there are CD manuals. RK in the OC
I didn't know about the heavy bumpers or the seatbelt mounts on the door sills (covered by carpet?). Thanks! I have the Autobooks manual and don't like it. The wiring diagram, for example, has nothing to do with my car, as far as I can tell. I found a better one on the web.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
turbolarespider said:
That's quite the car! Very interesting.

How does it drive? I'm assuming you want a new axle for a reason...

I think there are companies that will replace just the rear window, if that's the only problem. Check with a local interior shop- I know a few in the Detroit area that do tops quite well.

Eric
It drives like a very perky golf cart. Burns rubber in first, so I only use second. I am hoping to change the diffy ratio so I can get rid of the transmission completely. Sadly, not only the window, but all of the adjoining material, has been cut away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
johnei said:
Is it a twin cam aluminum electric motor? I think if you use the search on here you can find most of what you're looking for. Also keep in mind most Alfa people really really like the motor that came in the car from the factory and don't think highly of replacing it with something else.
The original motor was long gone when I purchased it, along with the exhaust system, gas tank, and clutch.

·
Registered
935 Posts
This is quite possibly one of the coolest things I've ever seen. There's an electric here in town (T-Zero) that regularly smokes corvettes at stoplights, and it supposedly handles pretty **** well too. Best of luck in your restoration!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BKCowGod said:
This is quite possibly one of the coolest things I've ever seen. There's an electric here in town (T-Zero) that regularly smokes corvettes at stoplights, and it supposedly handles pretty **** well too. Best of luck in your restoration!
One of the oldest and largest EV conversion companies is in Felton, I think, right near you. I lived there in Santa Cruz for ten years, but wasn't interested in electric cars then.

I hope someday with practice I will be able to back out of my driveway without burning rubber...

Brian

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took photos of the seats. The installed seats are
<a href="http://www.skewray.com/Seat_1A.jpg">front (link)</a> and
<a href="http://www.skewray.com/Seat_1B.jpg">back (link)</a>. The "original" seats
are <a href="http://www.skewray.com/Seat_2.jpg">here (link)</a>. Perhaps neither are original?

Brian

·
Registered
281 Posts
The installed seats look to be from a GTV Coupe or maybe even an Alfetta Coupe with the wrong upholstery pattern. If you don't want them you can probably find someone that needs them here on the BB as they are not as common as Spider seats. I've never seen those in a Spider before. The "original" seats are the correct original seats. Check for rusty seat pan bottoms.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okiealfaaddict said:
The installed seats look to be from a GTV Coupe or maybe even an Alfetta Coupe with the wrong upholstery pattern. If you don't want them you can probably find someone that needs them here on the BB as they are not as common as Spider seats. I've never seen those in a Spider before. The "original" seats are the correct original seats. Check for rusty seat pan bottoms.
Ah. I will need to swap back in the old ones, as soon as I can get them reupholstered. Preferably in leather, for a small fortune...

Brian

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ev Spider

Interesting gol cart Brian :p

I didn not see the motor in any of your pictures I suppose it's beloe the bank of batteries in the engine bay. What kind of range do you get per charge and how long does it take to charge up again? did you keep the alfa transmission?
You should take some picture of under the engine bay so we can see the motor instal.

Spider tops are relatively cheap ($250-300) but they are a chore to install.

Tony.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the first time this weekend I put it up on jacks and looked at it myself. I will be putting the photos on the website when I get a chance. The original alfa tranny is in there, but no clutch. It can be easily shifted up but down is tricky. I leave it in second at all times, except to back up.

Brian

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rogerspeed said:
The other seat of seats pictured that have the seat belt guides built in next to the headrests are not original for a 78. I think they are from a later car, probably after 1981. Roger
Maybe the shoulder strap guide is an aftermarket addition?

Sigh. I think I should give up on the idea of original seats. I ought to just clean up set #2 and sell them here.

Brian

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.