Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Alfisti,

I own a early 1966 duetto spider. My spider has front wheel arches that differ from the standard. Above the front wheels the normal wheel arches ar flat. Mine has arches that are curved just like those above the rear wheels. It is not a after market modification. Is it part of a preproduction series? Has anybody information about this subject ?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,351 Posts
The type number is 10503, so i presume it is series 1.
All Duettos are type 105.03.

101/105guy's question was about your car's serial number. Duetto serial numbers varied from 660001 to 666321. So he was asking whether the number stamped into your car's the firewall is close to 660001.

My guess is that your front wheel arches became corroded or damaged, and a PO just "fixed" them by enlarging the opening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply. I did not know there the number range for duettos started. No the number is not that early. and at first i also thougt that it was done later, but that is not the case. you can easily see that by inspection. It is a complete rust free, no damage car, and we had al the paint off before repainting it.

thank you

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I suspect this is a well done modification by a previous owner. Would you have any photographs of the bare body showing the metal work in this area?

Years ago, I had a similar modification done to the rear of my car, it was only an MGB, so that I could fit 7" wide mag wheels.

Your flared front fenders have become a part of the cars lineage now; enjoy it and be proud!

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Likely flared for wider wheels by a previous owner. If done by factory it would probably have a weld seam/ bead on the underside toward the wheel. If it is rolled under then it's an add on. Looks good. Doubt many would even notice, so as others have commented, enjoy!,
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
C'mon guys....

he has said that the area was stripped for paint and no later bodywork was done.
It is possible that Pininfarina did a special fender stamping for one or two cars. Same as the special bump on the nose of a very few Duettos!
Truly a very rare beast !

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
It's hard to see from the single picture but a good body man could create the flairs from the existing sheet metal. I assume the wheel opening is a larger than stock diameter...

I once had a '71 Kamm tail that had a Duetto front end. I was convinced it was the missing link but it turned out the entire front clip was replaced along the factory seams...

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Anything is possible with metal. I would be more convinced if it were a low production number or if there were documentation of others. Hard to believe factory would run one only. There are several long "spear nose" Spiders and well documented. A good body man could shape the metal without cutting or adding metal. We may never know.
To add , I knew a fellow club member who had a Roundtail with a factory '71 front nose. He claimed(?) it was original.
Cheers, Jon

·
chiuso per ferie
11,758 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Interesting. It has been several years since he had the car. If memory serves me it was a 1970 so may well have been a Junior. It had no badging to indicate it was a junior? We always thought that since that was the last year of the Roundtail they just ran out of front bumpers and substituted as was the custom back then. Understand Juniors had fixed vent windows, 2 spoke steering wheel, 1300 engine, but unaware the front was different. Well you learn something new everyday.
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
And Bertone kept making stepfront coupes for years on the GTJ models.....

Looking for constant features on older Alfas can be tough.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts