Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was driving around in my Milano when I realized for the first time in my short ownership of the car that on the dash there was a portion with a few buttons and the text "Alfa Romeo Control". I looked it up on Wikipedia and it said it was a diagnostic computer. Well that's cool, my car from the 80's had a computer, but then I realized it had never done anything. When I got home and started fiddling with it I realized that it wasn't gonna do anything. Just wonderin if you guys could fill me in on the computer, what it does and such. Also, is it broken? Why isn't it doing anything!

thanks,
Oilpit

·
Registered
817 Posts
Haha, all I can say is be glad its not flashing random lights at you 24/7.

Most people tend to just try and stop them from working as fixing them can be a real pain.

Basically it tells you the following:-

Low Oil level
Low coolant level
Low windscreen washer level
Handbrake is on
Brake pads are worn
Lights are faulty (?)
Brake lights are faulty
Instruments are faulty (?)
Battery is low

It also tells you which doors are open, when your lights are on, when your high-beams are on (in some countries) when you indicators are on (again, some countries).

Then you have a clock and a timer, and in some cases (like mine) a trip computer which shows L/100km, average L/100km, average speed, km's remaining on current fuel level.

I think thats about it. Theres also and ABS light too I think in some cases.

If I'm wrong about any of the above someone please correct me :)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,059 Posts
Hey, mine works fine. Mostly. :rolleyes:

I think it also controls the interior lights when the doors are open.

If it's dead, there's two places the PO may have disconnected it. It may be unplugged at the back of the lights in the center console (pretty easy to get to...just a few screws to remove). Or the computer itself may be unplugged - it's above the shelf above the glove compartment. There is a panel there with 3? screws that you can open to get to it.

If it was disconnected, chances are it was malfunctioning and flashing. Often if 2 or more sensors are tripped (or the weather is cold, or the ARC is in a bad mood...) the lights will go into "Johnny's Disco" mode and flash randomly. In that case you'll need to do some troubleshooting of the sensors.

Here's some more info:

http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/arc.htm

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Mine works too :)

Note that you can disconnect the display itself, but not the control unit over the glove box/storage area. It runs the brake lights! If you disconnect the control unit altogether you will have no brake lights.

Jes

·
Registered
659 Posts
Oh me too! Me too!

I've found the ARC to be quite useful actually - As per the dodgy connectors used to connect the brakelights, it occassionally moves and knocks the light out. Due to the ARC however, I've never driven more than 5min because it immediately lets me know of the light failure! Another win over all the Commodores and Falcons infesting this country...:D

ROCK ON
R~R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts