Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Alfa Romeo Canguro concept car first shown at the December 1964 Paris Motor Show and later at the 1965 Geneva Motor Show in March. Designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro at Bertone and who left Bertone for Ghia in 1965. It certainly looks like the side louvers design that Marcello Gandini used for the Montreal originated with the Canguro concept car.

The black and white photos are from the 1965 Geneva Motor Show held in March

1280px-Alfa_Romeo_Canguro_-_Left_Front3_Quarter.jpg

55b576a5-b3f5-49ba-9d76-e637a741ba48-original.jpg
830368cc-8e60-46fb-8b71-55dbd4c05ad7-original.jpg

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Very nice photos! Thanks-- I remember I just gawked at the Canguro when I first saw the photos in R & T as a kid.
There is not a bad angle on the car, anywhere. It's just a tremendous Giugiaro design! A one-off stroke of artistic genius.

·
Administrator
14,782 Posts
I've never understood why Alfa Romeo did not take what they learnt with the TZ's and put it in their road cars. They could have stopped the reporters saying "amazing for a live rear axle" ... by putting in a productionized version of the TZ2's independent rear suspension from say the 1750 onwards
Pete

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I don’t recall alfa ever having a production front end rear wheel drive car with IRS before the fiat takeover ? De Dion was as close as they ever came...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I don’t recall alfa ever having a production front end rear wheel drive car with IRS before the fiat takeover ? De Dion was as close as they ever came...
The TZ1 and TZ2 were not series production cars, they were homologated race cars hand built in small quantities. And they had fully independent rear suspension.

·
Administrator
14,782 Posts
1939 8c2900

But yes post war they were very reluctant to go independent rear, yet as the T33 and TZ2 they knew how

Pete

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Bruce Taylor writes "The cabin ventilation grilles of the Montreal were inspired by the front wing slats of the 1964 Canguro" in 'Alfa Romeo Montreal the Essential Companion' on page 11. He goes on to say that "the four fixed protective headlamp slats (of the two prototype Montreal show cars) had their origins in the twin pop-up lamps of the 1966 Porsche 911 Spider/Roadster".

Mark

·
2,187 Posts
They could have stopped the reporters saying "amazing for a live rear axle" ... by putting in a productionized version of the TZ2's independent rear suspension from say the 1750 onwards
It was Wilfredo Ricart who brought swing axles on Alfas of the late thirties. German makers were putting them on everything with lethal results.
After the war, Orazio Satta Puliga took over the design office and I remember reading he was totally opposed to independent rear suspensions as he wanted his customers to stay alive. The cars made under his supervision end with the Alfetta, which of course is one of the few production cars with the complex and expensive De Dion rear end.
The TZ rear suspension, which is pretty close to the Chapman struts used on the Lotus Elan or 240Z, is too bulky to be used on a sedan.

·
Administrator
14,782 Posts
The TZ rear suspension, which is pretty close to the Chapman struts used on the Lotus Elan or 240Z, is too bulky to be used on a sedan.
Strange since my 156v6, now sold, used strut based independent rear suspension. I cannot think of a more compact suspension design. Yes they are not the same, as the Chapman strut system uses the drive shaft as a link, but it is still extremely compact, or could be.

But your other comment, seems to be the reason and does make sense for being the cause as Italian automotive engineers have always been slow with change. Drums to disc, engine placement, independent rear suspension, v12 to v10 in F1 and so on ... always the last
Pete

·
Registered
360 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've never understood why Alfa Romeo did not take what they learnt with the TZ's and put it in their road cars. They could have stopped the reporters saying "amazing for a live rear axle" ... by putting in a productionized version of the TZ2's independent rear suspension from say the 1750 onwards
Pete
Pete, they tested all solutions for Alfetta and found that DeDion was the most suitable for the road car.

Regarding the sports car, Busso had in his mind a simple version of 33 - Scarabeo. It had originally independent rear suspension and later version - DeDion.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts