Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread got me searching for Alfa Romeo boat information. Unfortunatly most of my searches came up with some sail boats that they currently race but Im more interested in some of the vintage race boats that I have seen from them.

Does anyone have any good web sites regarding any Alfa Romeo boats?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Abbate

What about this?
This boat was called Abbate and used Autodelta prepared engines! It made a new world speed record in its class in 1969!
Nice exhaust..

Attachments

·
Registered
10,004 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I vaguely recall there being a class of hydroplane, maybe called F2 ???, back in the early '80s which was exclusively Alfa twin cam 2000 engines.

Then again, maybe I'm way off the mark !

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
AlfaTaso said:
Another angle from last year's America's Cup where it won aagin, and The Crew, this one from the Rollex Cup.
Taso -
Beautiful photo - now THAT's power.

But speaking of motor-powered boats, I read long ago that a 3 liter type 33 / Montreal block was used for race boats...No?

Off-topic sort of, but are there any Laser dinghy racer - Alfisti out there?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
255 Posts
This thread could go in a lot of different directions, starting at least with the 159 powered speed boats. But let me mention two USA connections: I have the engine from a speed boat which Kiekhaefer [of Wisconsin] took to Paris. That boat was used to promote Kiekhaefer's MerCruiser drive and used a 102 [iron block] Alfa 2000 motor. The engine came through Alfred Momo, supposedly from Conrero, and Charlie Strang told me that the boat won the race in the city of Paris. The engine has an tubing header and megaphone over the transom and must have been terribly loud.

And a couple years ago someone called and asked me for help restoring a 1500cc hydroplane engine. I think that a few people used Alfa Giulietta engines in the 1500cc class, and there was an article in an early Alfa Owner describing how they built a competitive engine. These engines used larger liners and pistons, much like the Conrero developed 1500cc F1 motors...

--Carter

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
jimcheney said:
I thought there were some Riva Aquarama's powered by twin Montreal V8's. Maybe I just fantasized it...
THAT was a good looking boat! The Ferrari of wood boats. I don't know about the Montreal V8's - I've seen them with Chryslers, etc. (I'm talking about the 50's - 60's wood boats)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm not a huge boating enthusiast but i keep having these wonderful dreams...

I'm driving through Monte Carlo in a Maserati 5000GT towing a Riva Aquarama behind me.

I look beside me and in the passenger seat i see a tall blonde with impossibly long legs, she's wearing Gucci sunglasses.

Between her legs is a chilled bottle of Krug's Clos du Mesnil Champagne, but i try not to let my eyes wander down there for too long...

Then i suddenly wake up...... oh thats a good dream to have! :D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
dretceterini said:
I'm unaware as to Alfa actually building the boats (hulls) themselves, but Alfa power was used as early as the late 30s, with 6c2500s, if not earlier.
Of course, Alfa didn't build the hulls.

And you're right about the story going back to the 30s. However, while being unsure about the very first Alfa-powered race boat, I would bid on the Mariella, a 12C-36 powered racer run by Passarin in 1938-39. It's possible there were earlier ones, not sure. The 6C2500 engine became common use after the war for powering racers. That sport was very popular in Italy before the war, then shortages prevented races to resume. The use of automotive-derivated 2500s was helped by their use for powering attack-boats of the Italian Marine during the war. So, marine conversion already existed.

Italian link: http://www.storiain.net/arret/num45/artic5.htm

quote:
Contemporaneamente veniva messo a punto dal comandante Giorgis e dall'ingegner Cattaneo, su progetto iniziale dell'ammiraglio Duca Aimone d'Aosta, un altro mezzo bellico, che prenderà il nome definitivo di Motoscafo Turismo Modificato (MTM), detto barchino esplosivo: un piccolo motoscafo a fondo piatto, dotato di un motore molto potente (Alfa Romeo 2500). La testa del natante contiene 300 kg di esplosivo, con sistema di scoppio ad urto. Il barchino è pilotato da un solo uomo, che lo porta in prossimità dell'obiettivo, blocca il timone, mette il motore a tutta forza e subito si lancia in mare. Il barchino esplode all'impatto con la nave nemica.
(special disclaimer: I'm not sure of the political content of the link, reviving fascist war actions is often suspect)

This other link is more technical, but wrong with an invented capacity of 3,500 instead of 2,500:
http://www.regiamarina.net/arsenals/mtm/mtm_us.htm

The Mariella was already some of factory-backed effort, as you can find many references to it in the then current Alfa Corse magazine. Its engine is displayed at the Arese museum, in the basement.

After the war, Alfa officially backed some boat-racers, including those represented by the Provence-Moulage model kits illustrated by Simon at the opening of this thread. Alfa provided "marinized" Tipo 158 and 159 engines from 1946 to 1955 or 1956, I'm not sure.

"Laura3", the second illustrated, was actually fitted with 2 159 engines to catch the world record, then just under 300 km/h. During pre-record testing and adjustments, it's estimated that it ran over 300km/h, just before desintegrating..., killing his pilot, Mario Verga.

Pics also in the already quoted site:
http://www.lesliefield.com/default_frame.htm
(use the search fuction either with his name or Alfa Romeo)

At the same time, another attempt was made with another Alfa engine, but WAY bigger, fitted respectivelty to Sant'Ambrogio I and II. An Alfa AR1000RC41.
:eek: :confused: A 1450 HP, 12 cyl, 34-litre. That beast is now displayed in the basement (again!) of the Science museum in Milano.

Then, from the 60s, Autodelta tuned many engines for boat racing, based on either 4-in-line (1300, 1500 or 2000) and Montreal (up to 4-litre), which were very successful in the late 60s-early-70s.

An interesting books on the subject, but I'm afraid only in French, is "Les canots automobiles" (2 volumes, pre- and postwar).

See for example:http://www.tmbbooks.be/fr/yachtm.html (usual disclaimer)

Simon: how about moving this thread to the "Alfa Romeo history" forum section? I came here by mere luck, otherwise I couldn't have contributed. And it's history, isn't it? ;)

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Another angle from last year's America's Cup where it won aagin
Taso,
Swiss Alinghi won in 2003, at New Zealand, and next America's Cup is in 2007 - Valencia, Spain.

Jes

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
gtv2000 said:
At the same time, another attempt was made with another Alfa engine, but WAY bigger, fitted respectivelty to Sant'Ambrogio I and II. An Alfa AR1000RC41.
:eek: :confused: A 1450 HP, 12 cyl, 34-litre. That beast is now displayed in the basement (again!) of the Science museum in Milano.

Simon: how about moving this thread to the "Alfa Romeo history" forum section? I came here by mere luck, otherwise I couldn't have contributed. And it's history, isn't it? ;)
I revive this old thread as I have found back the copy of my pic of the aero-engined racer boat I was talking about.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.