Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Alfisti
I am 45
automotive supplier, Alfa collector, ex president and founder of an Alfa Romeo Club.
I live in Milan and because of my job easier to have access to archives of automakers where I digged in many dusty and forgotten shelves.

I love ALFA 6, a very unlucky car. I had four. I completed a book that resume 20 years of studies and research everywhere with contacts all around the world.
Book that,I am now informed, will be never published because this car ( but also ALFA 90 and ARNA ) are considered of no interest by the most important italian editor of specialized motor press. A waste of time. Same reply from other minor motor editors. This year also vanished the interest of one english editor ( yes the book also in english ) because the crisis also hit there and they say, better to reprint the usual and repetitive books related to Ferrari or small icon cars like the Fiat 500... .
Here just a market survey. Exist here people that would spend 20-30-40 (?) USD for a book comprehensive of all info about the car ? I mean info that you will never find on the web such as all info and photos and drawings and original documents from 1968...
I would appreciate yr. comments.
I have considered a digital edition but..think a paperbook a different thing.

If any ALFA 6 owner here and have some questions pls contact me directly here [email protected]
kind regards from Milano, Italy
MAX

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
The book can be self published. Friend of mine did this for a book he had written a few years ago. Didn't cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The book can be self published. Friend of mine did this for a book he had written a few years ago. Didn't cost an arm and a leg.
here the cost would approx 4500 euro - 400 books

·
Registered
592 Posts
here the cost would approx 4500 euro - 400 books
That doesn't sound that bad, but whether you get your money out is obviously contingent on demand.

Did you look into print on demand?

Self Publishing, Book Printing and Publishing Online - Lulu

Kickstarter and other crowdsourcing platforms are another option. Nice thing about that is that you can gauge demand.

Honestly, you can probably also do that here,
ie. offer the book at the lowest cost possible, get enough paid preorders to finance the printing, ship those out and then you can sell the other books at the normal market cost.

I've done that way before kickstarter was around.
Works fine, just be prepared for shipping hundreds of items.
Can be funny and/or overwhelming.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm interested, especially if it gives some insight into the internal dynamics at that time in Alfa's history. It seems to me that the Alfa6's tenure coincided with the beginning of the end of Alfa as an independent entity.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dear Tiger0529

yes, of course
I love Alfa 6 and Alfa 6 WAS designed for the v6 and the v6 for the Alfa 6 !!!
I met Mr. Busso in the 90's and we spent a very long afternoon together at his small flat close to Arese plant, North of Milano. I still remember the wife curious to be who at the door, she was in wheelchair ...
Three years ago I was digging in the Alfa Romeo Archives digging in the documents that the Busso family donated to Alfa Romeo and found the "report" of the meeting we had together. An honour for me.
I also met Dr. Ing. Lanati some years ago the man behind the last evolutions of the V6 in 3200 form...
few know that Mr. Busso never saw HIS engine going into production because he decided to leave Alfa Romeo in 1975 after having seen no more space for intuition in Alfa Romeo. He was called back in March 1979 to test the car one day together with the press come from all around the world and I have also found his personal impression of his engine and of the car, together with his comments to the gear.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
the 6 is an interesting car to me. I can recall having seen only one on the road in recent years here in N. Italy. I'd also be interested in the book. I forget the magazine within the last year that featured this model Alfa. Interesting. Now I have to dig out my old mags and have a looksee. ciao, chris

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
should you need any info for schemes or repair let me know. In change I will ask only one photo of yr. car and chassis no.
[email protected]
Alfisti regards
Max

·
Registered
816 Posts
I understand that you love the Sei, but the book would be of appeal to much larger group of people if you put focus on the development of the Busso V6.
I would buy the book, but I also agree with the above comment to the extent it applies to the Alfa 6.

Max - how much history about the Busso V6 does your book contain right now? Wasn't the Busso V6 developed specifically for the Alfa 6? Then it would be natural to include the engine history in the Alfa 6 story. This would strengthen the book's position as a "historical bridge" from the Alfetta 2.0L models to the GTV6 and the Alfa 75/Milano and up to today. Are there other Busso V6 books already published?

Best wishes for success,
- Art

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as you know, an engine have a father but a lot of uncles too.
despite I met Mr. Giuseppe Busso we concentrated our talking on Alfa 6 car and of course he spoke of the car as his car, being the Six conceived for this engine and the engine for this car and for the Six coupè that never saw the light ( one chassis survived ! ).
That car was the LAST Alfa Romeo totally conceived by the same team that gave life to Giulia, 1750, 2000, Alfetta, Rio, Montreal, competition 33... .
He was proud to tell me that, when we met in 1998 (or 99 ? ) the engine was still in production and that 300.000 engines were built till that data !
As you know he decided to retire because of "internal" problems and was called back to test the car when finally presented to the press.
The same it was for many big players that were part of the engine V6 development. Now they are no more.
Dr. Ing. Lanati I met recently but he was a young engineer when V6 already in development and he told me of the V6 when engine was revised and reengineed in the late 80's. Unfortunately I am not a technician and technicians are very precise ...
But my book speak about the Alfa 6 3000 that had to be launched in 1982.

Yes. Mr. Busso wrote a book but the v6 never mentioned apart some lines. Book was no translated in english... .
No other "official" books on the v6 have been written.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My book also speak about
the ALFA 6 USA - photos and docs, protos
ALFA 6 rally
ALFA 6 coupe'
BERTONE Delfino (Alfa 6 coupè). I met Bertone staff and checked all surviving docs. Photos and prototype still in museum (closed to public).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For US readers

Car was well commented by US press :
AutoWeek June 16 1979
Car and Driver August 1979
Motor trend July 1979
Road & Track August 1979
I miss - pls send me scan or sell me the magazines :
Christian Science Monitor
Chicago Daily news
Town & Country
Automotive news
whose journalists tested the car too in Italy.

readers from other Countries pls let me know so I can suggest you which magazines of the time to collect. I will give life soon to a ALFA 6 website where to read all 250 magazines related to Alfa6 in any language.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts