Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Yes, and I would like to see your pics -- the more, the merrier!
Lots here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-history/469745-photos-alfa-g1-when-australia-tasmania.html

The G1 was the first car badged as an "Alfa Romeo" and not an "ALFA" as the 20/40, etc. were. As far as my research could tell me no G1 ever raced like the 20/30 and now this car has been made into a replica of a 20/30. IMO it is a bit of a shame such a historically important car for Alfisti has been treated like this, but of course it can be converted back by the next owner, and the owner can do as they please ...

Please note a lot of people get confused and think the G1 is the oldest ALFA in existance, this is not true, it is the oldest car badged as an Alfa Romeo. This in itself is cool of course.

Components for another G1 have been found and hopefully one day this can become a running car one day.
Pete

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I saw a book that was put together about this G1. The restoration company removed the body that was made in the UK and produced the current body. I am going to ask if I can buy a copy of this book next week. The book contained many articles that were found at Alfa Romeo archives. I was told that approximately 50 G1 cars were produced and sold all over the world and that the only engine and chassis were found in Australia. I was told that the same person owned the G1 and the black and red 8C 2900.

I am fortunate enough to see many famous Alfas in Southern California. I have seen the following cars: G1, 1928 6C 1500 Zagato, 8C 2300 Monza, three 8C 2900 spiders, 6C 3000 CM, 6C 2500, many 1900 CSS, too many Giuliettas, T33-4 CanAm car, 1975 T33 12 and many other Alfas. I am an Alfa Romeo owner since 1968 and plan to drive them as long as possible, but I would like to own a 250 LM Ferrari one day.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
@ psk

The story of the G1 reminds me on the 8C #412039 which was the first ever Alfa built with the center grille design still used today.

The original and interesting 2 doors coupe by touring was removed and changed into a zagato roadster body....What a shame...

But as you said, "the owner can do as they please", especially if he does not care about history.

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
I was told that approximately 50 G1 cars were produced and sold all over the world and that the only engine and chassis were found in Australia.
Correct, but the body that was built during the restoration was a genuine option for the G1 (but not what that chassis wore originally. Alfa Romeo Museum was consulted during the restoration and personally the body chosen was incorrect, it should have been restored back to how that particular car left the factory; a boring limousine). The current racing body was not. Why though do you keep saying the previous body was made in the UK as the car was restored in Australia and is an extremely well known car there. Hence the passionate disapproval of the current BS racing replica that it is ... and fantasy links to Enzo Ferrari, which are utter BS.

More info here: http://www.alfaromeo.com.au/alfa-world/blog/79-the-first-alfa-romeo-tours-australia-to-celebrate-alfa-s-100th-birthday
I am fortunate enough to see many famous Alfas in Southern California. I have seen the following cars: G1, 1928 6C 1500 Zagato, 8C 2300 Monza, three 8C 2900 spiders, 6C 3000 CM, 6C 2500, many 1900 CSS, too many Giuliettas, T33-4 CanAm car, 1975 T33 12 and many other Alfas.
Very fortunate, but just remember the G1 has been ruined for somebodies ego or attempt to make a profit and people that know about the G1 are really, really upset ... especially Australian Alfisti. I've seen the G1 many times and would like to have a face to face argument with the current owner (if it is the same one that made it in to a replica)! I wish Neville had not sold it.

Considerably more detail and debate here on the G1: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-events/239874-disillusioned-pebble-beach-concours.html, which I have just noted you have commented in and we are on the same page so I will shut up now :)
Pete

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I totally agree with Pete about all this. I have seen the G1 as it was driving round the former grand Prix track in Lobethal in the Adelaide hills and when it was in the National Motor Museum in Birdwood. What they have done to it is a very sore point with us Aussies. The point is that it is a historically significant car and the only one of its kind in the world. Putting that abomination of a body on it and fabricating a lie about its history is like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa and saying it was painted by Van Gogh. Let us hope the guy here who says he has another chassis and parts builds another one. I reckon there must be a photo somewhere of the G1 in its original Australian form because it was originally owned by a sheep farmer in Queensland who owned a station that still exists today. I did some research and it was a popular thing for station owners in those days to have photos taken of their family and household outside the main house with their car. Their is an archive with heaps of such pictures, but I couldn't find one of that particular person and his family. I'd like to believe there is one hidden away somewhere that will show what the car looked like when it was new. A race car it most definitely was not. I too will shut up now.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Jeepers, creepers. The name of the thread is "Alfa Romeo 8C2900" and all some of you guys want to talk about is how much you hate the G1, even though there are enough threads about it where you had a chance to vent, and repeating the same stuff over and over and over again doesn't make it better. So, may I suggest to you that you get a grip on yourselves and let it go, let it go, let it goooo!!!!!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I wanted to take photos of the 8C2900 and the G1 was parked next to the 8C2900. I agree that many people are upset about the G1 and agree that it probably was not a race car, but a passenger car. I like to take photos when I visit this restoration shop. I never know what type of cars will be there when I go to this shop. I know that most of the cars are being serviced and some of them were restored by this shop. I also know that some of the cars are for sale.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
I hope you'll get a chance to see and study the 8C 2900 from underneath when it's on a hoist or lift. The drive train with transaxle as well as the front and rear suspensions are absolutely stunning and undoubtedly state of the art for the period (derived from a 1935 race car). Take note of how the alignment of all four wheels is compensated for suspension travel.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I did not have a chance to see the car on a lift, but I will try to take a photo under the car if it is still at the shop.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Jeepers Creepers indeed!

The red and black car is an Alfa Romeo 6C2500 (1942 chassis origins), not an 8C2900. It is a lovely car with one of three(?) similar bodies made (I was told) by Carletto Pirovano for Corrado Cupellini and fitted to 6C2300B and 6C2500 chassis. Inspiration for the body shape was taken clearly from an 8C2900 originally, but in this instance, was probably inspired by a body removed from a 1931 6C1750 Gran Sport (chassis 6C10814346 ) that was re-bodied "in period" to resemble an 8C2900.

Here is a photo of the 6C1750 parked on a street, probably in or near Rome, probably when owned by a man named "Wax". 6C10814346 was later purchased by Corrado Cupellini for Gianni Lurani, the 8C2900-style body removed and a new "Touring" 1931 style body was fitted during the 1960's before the car was sold on.

From "Mille Miglia" race historical claims made by the original Genovese owner of 6C10814346, the original body on 6C10814346 was probably by Zagato.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I appreciate your information. I did not ask the shop about which model and thought that the car looked like a 8C2900.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts