Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,334 Posts
PSK,

While you have a valid point that this car is nothing like a Giulietta/Giulia, please remember that Alfa produced the Tipo 33 Stradale and the Montreal in the time period you are lamenting...

Joe

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
JoeCab said:
PSK,

While you have a valid point that this car is nothing like a Giulietta/Giulia, please remember that Alfa produced the Tipo 33 Stradale and the Montreal in the time period you are lamenting...

Joe
Tipo 33 Stradale was a tarted up race car. Now the T33 race cars had a real and wonderful purpose. While I admire the styling of the T33 Stradale, I'd rather have a T33/2.

Yes Montreal ... I think because it was a styling exercise with unclear purpose is one of the reasons it was a sales/marketing failure. While lovely to look at and rarer than most ... not Alfa Romeo's best effort IMO. The GTV6 is a better chassis and what the Montreal should have been in my humble opinion.

Please note I have removed my comments, 'cause upon review I realised I was talking out of my own backside a fair bit :D :D

Your point ofcourse!, is that they have occassionally produced these styling exercises and I accept that valid point.

Pete ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
New Alfa Coupe confirmed as the "Brera". Also, Lancia Delta will make a comeback in 2007. WOWOWO things are happening in Italy :)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bring the concept rims back!! do they not pass load tests or something? Those rims were soo hot.! :( I can go get these at Tirerack.com right now.. BBS RS would be about the same hah. I guess theyre trying to cut costs before unveiling the prospective price. ..if it ever gets made of course :p

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Henry, you're absolutely right about the rims!!! Pete, I don't get it? Platform sharing and engine sharing is just the way it is. The 33 Stradale is a tarted up race car????????? It still looks amazingly contemporary. Listen, I have a 64 Giulia step nose in my garage and I think it is a timeless piece of history, but to not acknowledge the new 8C as a design statement is blind loyalty. The current spider that is running around Europe is an ugly car. It looks like an Integra from the front and the rear three quarter view is just plain awkward. The 166, although handsome, also has some quirks (very long front overhang by today's standards). The GT and the 156 are on the money, but Alfa needs to come with a car that will make people stop and notice. Once again, if Audi and Jag could reinvent themselves while staying in this country, there's no reason that Alfa can't come back with a new attitude. But, it's got to be that, a new attitude and a car like this that has an attitude. Maybe it's my New York personality showing through, but my colleagues who lust over BMRs and Benzes do it because of the image (read attitude) they eminate. If the new Alfa spider is anything like the one that currently exists, it will not broaden the fan base. Unfortunately, neither will the new GT (too many established players there- CLK, A4, 3 Series, Mustang, etc). Make the 8C and bring it here with the spider, GT, 147, 156, and 166 as support players and you've got a lineup (don't forget the Kamal)!! :D

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
alfaholico,
I guess the difference is that I live in a country where Alfa Romeo still exists and does not need to reinvent itself. Actually has a great image and is slowly building in the right direction. The modern Spider is very common and does stand out from the crowd ... but I will accept that the design is ageing.

I guess also (while I agree with the concept car and statement comments) that I see nothing clever about the 8c ... I could sketch 100's of those no-thought to packaging or practicality cars in one day.

And again the T33 RACE cars had purpose the T33 Stradale had none ... other than to look flashy. I'll take the design with a purpose please ... but then I am very much like that, ie. if you are not going to race it, then make it practical and perfect for transporting people, fast and in comfort. I can see little purpose in impractical flashy and extreme fast road cars ... last time I looked other people shared our roads and there are speed limits ... thus again the T33/2 is perfect 'cause I can use it to the full on the track and will be better on the track than the pretty only T33 Stradale.

For example, while I am a Ferrari enthusiast too ... you won't ever see me buying a later than 1980 design, except maybe the 456 GT. I see no purpose in the 348, 355, 360, 430, 550 barge (a packaging joke) and the Enzo. I'd buy a 60's design if I could, or a 308 GT/4 or 365 GT/4 2+2 brilliant COMPLETE road car designs. The 60's Ferrari's while impractical from space packaging atleast would now make great road cars as they are now relatively slow and involving and thus fun machines. A 430 with all the fancy dancy driver is useless aids is a complete [email protected] as a road car. What is the point as you putter about at near legal speeds?, just wasting all that extreme speed research and development that Ferrari did.

But as I conceded in an earlier post, show cars and jaw droppers DO have there place ... otherwise the world would be a dull place ;). Practical road cars can be jaw droppers too ... have a look at the Peugeot 407 (?, I think that is the model I mean).

Pete's still talking out of his backside ... and really I guess does not like the new 8c Comp. and should leave it at that! ... each to their own and all. :p
ps: Either race it or make it practical person ... you cannot have both IMO.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hi Guys;
Well have you seen last weeks Auto Week?
It has a new Baby 8c ferrari coming out. and I am sure its this car but not as nice in looks. but it seems dead on.
DANG IT!!!!!!
Whats your take on the new Dino type F-car ?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts