Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Thats awsome news.. ;) By the 2-3rd year run theyll be back in the states blowing off the doors of any Masi or Porsche.... ok im gonna go dream again.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Word is that thay will not do it because the price and performance cut into there Maserati sales.
Thay put the stops to it. I hope something changes and it gets back on the books

·
Registered
21 Posts
PSB said:
Word is that thay will not do it because the price and performance cut into there Maserati sales.
Thay put the stops to it. I hope something changes and it gets back on the books
With the car being the virtual star of every show it's in, including winning at Villa d'Este, new Chairman diMontezemolo knows that the 8C would bring folks into showrooms and help revive Alfa. Alfa needs a flagship, and 1200 pieces is small share of that highly successful market. It to a lesser degree, would do what F1 and the limited production Enzo does for Ferrari - sell a lot of the other models through the press exposure.
Would agree that the market segment of the strictly 2 place 8C would overlap and steal sales from the Maser 2+2. That said, the Masers big target is America and the 911 market, which means if they do it there is no way Alfa would bring it to the States.
Luca diM. is a strategically smart man, and he is doing the same thing with Maserati with the MC12 - a flagship making just enough to break even and get folks into the showrooms. Not a lot of development costs as it is largely based on the Enzo, just as the 8C is using the parts bin Maser V-8.
Of course Luca is under a lot of pressure now to pull off the 90's Ferrari miracle with more than just cars. With PM Berlusconi on trial, there many people pushing our widely well known and immensely popular Chairman into Italian politics.

Or I could be making this all up. I just hope they make it for Alfa's sake.
best
rt

·
Registered
847 Posts
Its amazing what Car Company's will spend just to get people into the showroom like you mentioned. That new Peugeot 907 Super GT deal that was built is one example, I mean the Representive said it will never make it to the road but its nice to look at... I mean whats that tell you. That had to cost a few bills to build it, and the intention is just to look at it not even to consider building..

But to compare the 8c as just a glorified showcar is pretty crazy, esp. like Snj5 mentioned how its basically hands down the show stopper at most shows... theres a reason for that, Folks i.e. supposed Alfa lovers.......its hands down HOT!... all of the 8c haters out there that supposedly call themselves Alfa lovers are probably the same type of people that call themselves America lovers then take the time bashing it all day. I mean I say call a spade a spade but this car is hot period.

I might be biting the bullet on this one.. cuz I really dont know the answer hehe. But whos won more Grand Prix Championships? Alfa... OR Masi? haha Either way my point is the fact that Luca Di is making decision for ALFA is pretty hilarious, and pretty sad for a company thats history in racing is well documented, just go pick up and book on Grand Prix Racing for further details...

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I really do hope that they produce the 8C, althought it would be WAY out of my price range. It would be nice if Alfa used this car to bring the company some prestige, because right now they need it. The entire Alfa range is getting dated, and it would be great if Alfa became Ferrari's "sedan and inexpensive GT division", rather than another GM piece of crap.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
dretceterini said:
I really do hope that they produce the 8C, althought it would be WAY out of my price range. It would be nice if Alfa used this car to bring the company some prestige, because right now they need it. The entire Alfa range is getting dated, and it would be great if Alfa became Ferrari's "sedan and inexpensive GT division", rather than another GM piece of crap.
While I agree with the sentiment here ... a car with a twin turbo Maserati v8 is hardly going to place Alfa Romeo in the Ferrari's "sedan and inexpensive GT division".

I'd be much more favourable of this car if it had the Alfa Romeo v6, or even a 4 cylinder engine in it, instead of the Maserati motor which just elevates it right out of where Alfa Romeo needs to place itself to continue ...

Alfa Romeo cannot take on Maserati, nor do I (yep my opinion :rolleyes: ) want them to. There is a niche (especially in Australia) for well priced fun sports coupes, which is what Alfa Romeo used to make (yes I know they used to make the best and fastest cars in the world in the 30's but that market now is satuated) and do it well. This currently is filled by the Nissan 350Z and they are selling like hot cakes because they have no competition because the new Alfa GT completely sucks dynamically thanks to FWD.

Pete

·
Registered
563 Posts
Can't believe the 8C project has been canned! :mad: Alfa desperately needs a decent flagship model to inject some more interest into the marque again.... not relying in history!

Reason was Fiat didn't want it to take sales away from the 4200 Maser.... what a ridiculous reason. They also said that its dealer network was not geared up enough to handle such an exclusive small production model...... what an admission!!!!

Alfa dealers suck.... period!!! When will Alfa sort itself out/Fiat allow Alfa to develop.... it could have by far and away the most exciting future of any of the Fiat group cars if it was allowed! :(

·
Registered
563 Posts
snj5 said:
Do you have a source on that? That would be pretty bad news.
I read it in a magazine last week, I think it was Evo. When I go home tomorrow I'll check which mag and the edition month and let you know.

·
Registered
847 Posts
In Autoweek Magazine

AUTOWEEK
Posted Date: 12/2/04
Alfa Romeo Competizione confuzione

Alfa’s Romeo’s hot 8C Competizione, first shown in concept form at last year’s Frankfurt motor show, appears headed for a dead end. Pre-production prototypes of the Maserati Coupe-based two-seater have been delayed as Fiat Auto CEO Herbert Demel considers the implications of building a sports car that competes directly with the Maserati Coupe and would hit a price point that could severely confuse buyers for both marques. “If anything is approved based on the 8C design, it will probably be a smaller but similar style of car at a lower price,” one source said. Fiat Group boss Luca di Montezemolo also is hesitating over the 8C/Maserati conflict, meaning the project is probably dead in the water.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nuts.
Perhaps the best thing we can hope for would be a 6C Competizione in a smaller lighter but similar body slotting between the Maser and the Lotus Elise. Would be pretty easy to use the existing Alfa 6 cylinder.
A car like that in the 60 - 80 Euro range would be pretty remarkable.
Luca - you listening out there?
But, the reality is, nothing anytime soon - that is for sure.
Nuts.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
Never going to happen!

alfabeach said:
AUTOWEEK
Posted Date: 12/2/04
Alfa Romeo Competizione confuzione

Alfa’s Romeo’s hot 8C Competizione, first shown in concept form at last year’s Frankfurt motor show, appears headed for a dead end. Pre-production prototypes of the Maserati Coupe-based two-seater have been delayed as Fiat Auto CEO Herbert Demel considers the implications of building a sports car that competes directly with the Maserati Coupe and would hit a price point that could severely confuse buyers for both marques. “If anything is approved based on the 8C design, it will probably be a smaller but similar style of car at a lower price,” one source said. Fiat Group boss Luca di Montezemolo also is hesitating over the 8C/Maserati conflict, meaning the project is probably dead in the water.
Exactly like I said.

dretceterini suggestion is perfect and what should have been prototyped in the first place. Well done Alfa Romeo, you have managed to waste even MORE money ... God there are some complete fnckwits running the company nowadays! :mad:

Pete

·
Registered
65 Posts
well I don't blame Alfa Romeo for trying - at least it shows it still has the flair and imagination to produce great cars. I think a scaled down version of the 8c makes perfect sense and hopefully it will be priced so as to make it possible for me to buy one when i decide to trade in my GT :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Back in the USSA

Imagine in your dreams Alfa brings back to the US in 2007 the following:

1. 8c Competizione
2. Kamal
3. 157
4. Spider
5. Giuletta

Ahhhhh, dreams can come true :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The only way for Alfa to return is with a statement vehicle like the 8C. A car that will turn heads and create a stir. If they just return with a sport sedan and a spider, there will be no new interest from non Alfisti. Build it and they will come!!!!! :p

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
alfaholico said:
The only way for Alfa to return is with a statement vehicle like the 8C. A car that will turn heads and create a stir. If they just return with a sport sedan and a spider, there will be no new interest from non Alfisti. Build it and they will come!!!!! :p
PSk EDIT: DELETED, said enough already ... :p

Anyway if this car excites you then I'm glad, 'cause I guess atleast you are excited about Alfa Romeo ...
Pete

21 - 40 of 47 Posts