Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Deposits being returned?
I saw this post on italiaspeed ealier today
I placed a £1,000 deposit for an 8C Competizione in April 2004 with a UK Alfa main dealer.

As the past year has gone by I would call the dealer every now & then for an update but they never knew much and I gained more info from what I read on Italiaspeed.

I recently had to go to Milan on business and, encouraged by the Italiaspeed article of 18 January 2005, I asked an Italian friend of mine to contact Arese to ask if I could go to see the car. Unfortunately that would not be possible as it was at the Amsterdam show that week but they asked me to send a copy of the deposit invoice to them. I did that and they never replied to me again.

However, two weeks after that (beginning of this month) I received a letter out of the blue from my Alfa dealer returning my deposit and saying that they had just been told that the car would definitely not go into production. My guess is that the invoice I sent Arese was used to check who had taken the deposit and the dealer was then contacted and told to refund it. On the other hand, it might just be coincidence and Kalbfell has just recently decided not to proceed with it.

Whatever the background, it seems pretty likely that the project is dead, which is a great shame. I would be happy if somebody could prove me wrong...

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
If they kill this car, I will dispose of every Alfa Romeo I own - and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE...

The company (take note - not the brand or the Alfisti) the company - deserves to die a miserable death if they dump this car and along with it, their return to these shores....

Strong words, I know - but this is what it has come to.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The only reason why I think they would return a deposit and still build the car is if they were going to build a substantially different car. It seems if people who had put a deposit down and didn't like it could then take legal action. Although this seems to imply the car they do build is not as good. So I don't know.
I'm still wondering about how Luca said Maserati would be expanding capacity to build a low volume Alfa.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Something in General

Alfa Brera------4/Z4,CLK/SLK,TT
Alfa Brera V6-----Porsche Cayman/Cayman S
Alfa Brera GTA----Porsche Carrera 4S
Alfa Spider----TT/SLK/Z4
Alfa Spider V6---- Porsche Boxster
Alfa Spider GTA---Porsche Carrera 4S Cabrio
Alfa 8c Competizione----F430 CS,911 GT2
Maserati Spyder '5000'------SL55AMG/911 turbo/911 turbo cabrio/V8 Vantage/V8 Vantage Volante
Maserati 5000GT------DB9/M6/CL55 AMG
Alfa 169 V6------------MB CLS350
Alfa 169 V8 & GTA-----MB CLS500/CLS AMG/Porsche Panamera
Maserati Quattroporte------Jaguar XJR/BMW 750i/750Li/MB S500/S500L
Maserati Quattroporte V12----Bentley Continental Flying Spur
Maserati MC12 ----Enzo Ferrari/F60(2007),Carrera GT,SLR

·
Registered
339 Posts
sakiss, where did this info come from and/or how did you figure it out (ie are they all similar price range, performance, what...)

just curious b/c it's very interesting

....oh and sean how bout we split it, i'll get the car here from April-Sept and you can have it Oct-Mar

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Where did you find those photos? It looks like it is for sale in some showroom... even though I know it isn't.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Alfa Brera------4/Z4,CLK/SLK,TT
Alfa Brera V6-----Porsche Cayman/Cayman S
Alfa Brera GTA----Porsche Carrera 4S
Alfa Spider----TT/SLK/Z4
Alfa Spider V6---- Porsche Boxster
Alfa Spider GTA---Porsche Carrera 4S Cabrio

I just don't see how it is possible to compare ANY Porsche to an Alfa. Like I said before, as much as I'd like to think that Alfa Romeo is a company on par with Porsche, its just not true anymore. If an Alfa costs as much as a porsche on a showroom floor, the Alfa is simply not worth it. In terms of performance, all Porsches are RWD; all Alfas are FWD and that should end the performance debate right there. Today, an Alfa Romeo is a car that I would buy if I didn't have money for a Porsche.

BTW, has anybody else ever heard the phrase;

"An Alfa Romeo is a poor mans Porsche and a Porsche is a poor man's Ferarri"

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
sakiss said:
Alfa Romeo will present a new Concept in Pebble Beach of California in 3-4 August.The official return of the milanese firm in north america will be in 2007.

http://www.autovisie.nl/news/items/20050518T1840198_0.xml

At this point I'll have to see it to believe it. Today, I consider Alfa the auto company that always cries wolf when it speaks of re-entering the American market.

21 - 40 of 736 Posts