Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a Giulietta 750 series four speed tunnel gearbox they would sell, either here in the UK or able to ship from abroad?

Please let me know if there is anything out there.

Thank you.

Kevin R

·
Registered
344 Posts
I do not have a completed box together. I've been restoring tunnel cases for approx 30 yrs now. Over the yrs I've found that 1 out of 2 tunnel case trans are not restorable, that's why I take them apart first and inspect them. A recent customer had to provide 4 boxes before I found two that I could take parts from to make one good one.

Today the most common problem is a broken output shaft. The machined ring that separates 3rd and 2nd gear breaks free of the shaft. Up till now this part was not restorable (i.e., cannot be welded) . I'm looking into having a machine shop make a sleeve with a ring to repair it. Not sure this can be done and I'm not willing to sell the first one without testing it in one of my own.

Other problems, rusted gear sets, broken teeth, worn out synchro hubs and synchros.

Before you buy a tunnel case, have the seller open the bottom cover and send you a pic. If its covered in old glue like oil, then the gear set is probably ok. Also have them rotate the gear set and look for broken teeth. All of this will give you no indication of the condition of the output shaft.

Reed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts