Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991, Alfa Romeo 1.6 Trofeo
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,
My dad back in 1991 bought a new alfa 75 1.6 trofeo and for 2 years now i am trying to restore the car.
My problem is the interior door panels ,which after almost 30 years are in terrible condition.I changed back in 2017 with 4 used ones but they worn out too..So i was wondering if any one of you ever tried to restore them?And if yes how did you do that?I will upload photos a.s.a.p.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is how they are now.photos from the front 2 door panels .Rear ones are a little bit in a better condition
75a.jpg 75b.jpg

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've reinforced the backing cardboard with fiberglass mat and epoxy resin, added housing insulation foam into the hollows of the arm rests with construction adhesive and made old ones more usable / durable. However, I have yet to figure out how to make the vinyl look good on the front side. I guess you could strip it all off and reapply, but lots of heat gun work and contact cement - not my area of expertise. I'd be interested to learn how others have repaired the vinyl.

Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've reinforced the backing cardboard with fiberglass mat and epoxy resin, added housing insulation foam into the hollows of the arm rests with construction adhesive and made old ones more usable / durable. However, I have yet to figure out how to make the vinyl look good on the front side. I guess you could strip it all off and reapply, but lots of heat gun work and contact cement - not my area of expertise. I'd be interested to learn how others have repaired the vinyl.

Mark
Do you by any chance have a picture of the job you did on the cardboard ? How long did it take you to get them made?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Sorry - no pictures. All I did was use auto store fiberglass mat and resin. This is working from the back side of the panel. Start by soaking the resin into the "cardboard" and then apply layers of the mat and resin. Hardest part is trying to hold the panel in position while it sets. Once it sets up, the panel is much reinforced.

I cut pieces of pink (there is also blue) housing insulation foam - nice and firm - to fill the voids in the armrests. Used Liquid Nails construction adhesive to hold it in. It restores some shape and structure to the armrest area, and hopefully prevents further damage.

This is a good weekend project.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts