Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #61

6C0312953 existed in the UK for many years as an unsupercharged car with a James Young 4-seat body. The car was owned for many years by Edna Slater and a supercharger was fitted at some point. Edna and Roy took the car to Italy when they moved there and the car was reportedly sold 1975 in Italy.

The photo here of Edna & Roy was supplied by Art Wennerstrom, former owner of 6C0312961

Attachments

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

6C0312954 was listed in Jack Bartlett's stock book as having been purchased by him during January 1935. Registration plate was "UW4188". We know this thanks to Denis Jenkinson's note-taking shared with Simon Moore, who then shared with me.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

6C0312955 was sold September 1929 to Amerigo Ghirardi of Fidenza and then April 1930 to Emilio Aliani in the same town. Based on a partial plate number, it seems likely that a photo appears in the book "Le Alfa Romeo di Vittorio Jano" on page 117. The car was sold May 1933 to Carlo De Medici and seems to have gone to the UK where it was re-bodied by James Young. The plate "YC7738" seems to predate the car's arrival in the UK, so was likely transferred from another car.

Another car exists in recent years (in Italy?) claiming the number "0312955". It is bodied as if it was "by Zagato". Another claim has been made that the engine fitted ("6C0312930") is original to the car.

It seems the original "6C0312955" is still in the UK as of December 2017?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
6C0312955 revisited

A car was sold 1929 in Italy with the chassis and engine number 6C0312955. It seems likely that the car continues to exist in England with long-term owners even if the body was changed in England, presumably when the chassis and engine were still quite young.

Another car exists today in France bearing the same claimed chassis number. It is also claimed to have the "matching numbers" engine "6C0312930". That "matching numbers" claim seems rather absurd if taken literally. However, despite the fact that some names have been shared that might make me suspicious of some claims, it seems possible that there might actually be some number confusions? It would not be the only time we are presented with confusing data.

I am concerned that my name has become associated with the promotion of a car that may have no legitimate claim to the identity. I have asked more than once for clarification about certain details … without success.

No information has been furnished thus far to make me think that the car in France (for the last few years, having come from Italy before that) has a legitimate claim to the chassis number. I am open to the possibility that not all is as it seems.

I will welcome any added details about either of the cars claiming the chassis identity "6C0312955" as being pertinent to my studies of these cars. I will not pretend that it is "fair" that a legitimately identified car should have to defend its identity from the false claims made by the promoters of another car, but we live in a complex world that is not always fair.

Once again, I share a worksheet that any owners or maintainers of similar cars may use as a guide to supply information that will help to describe any of these cars.

Grazie a tutti!

John

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i am trying to find out the history of this car as its my late father in-laws, i believe he bought the car in 1958 and it had 3 previous ownersafter it arrived in the UK in 1948, i have a letter from the Alfa Factory that my father in-law visited in 1964 that Mr Perfetti stated the car was raced by Ramponi at Brooklands but this cannot be confirmed. Ing Fusi confirmed the car is a Zagato bodied original but i am struggling to find the chassis number on the vehicle, would you know where i can find this and maybe any further history please?

thank you Martin

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Hi, i am trying to find out the history of this car as its my late father in-laws, i believe he bought the car in 1958 and it had 3 previous ownersafter it arrived in the UK in 1948, i have a letter from the Alfa Factory that my father in-law visited in 1964 that Mr Perfetti stated the car was raced by Ramponi at Brooklands but this cannot be confirmed. Ing Fusi confirmed the car is a Zagato bodied original but i am struggling to find the chassis number on the vehicle, would you know where i can find this and maybe any further history please?

thank you Martin
You may want to look at section "B" (describing 3 potential locations) of the Word file that John attached two posts above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
6C0312953 existed in the UK for many years as an unsupercharged car with a James Young 4-seat body. The car was owned for many years by Edna Slater and a supercharger was fitted at some point. Edna and Roy took the car to Italy when they moved there and the car was reportedly sold 1975 in Italy.

The photo here of Edna & Roy was supplied by Art Wennerstrom, former owner of 6C0312961
For further information, this picture of 6C0312953 was taken in the gardens of Count "Johnny" Lurani's villa close to Monza.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts