Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Does anyone have info on the history of chassis 10814396, a 6c1750 Grand Sport with Zagato coachwork?

Metalfinder

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Known history

I would like the post war history of this particular car, that I am considering purchasing it from the current owner. Thanks in advance - MF
Hello Metalfinder,

Thanks for the explanation. What does the present owner know about the history of the car? All info you have could help tracking down bits of information. Do you have pictures of the car? Those could also help.

I checked the book 'The 6C 1750 Alfa Romeo' by Luigi Fusi and Roy Slater, published in 1968 by MacDonald & Co. They do not mention this chassisnumber in particular. Both in 'The 6C 1750 Alfa Romeo' and in the book 'Alfa Romeo 1910 - 207, The production cars' by d'Amico and Tabucchi, 10814396 is mentioned as a 5th series Gran Sport from 1932.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hello Metalfinder, the 1750 GS s/n 10814396 was a spider Touring and not a Zagato.
I have find the photo of 10814396 in an old magazine. The car have a regular immatriculation plate and I have check the history in italian PRA.
Ciao.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hello Metalfinder, the 1750 GS s/n 10814396 was a spider Touring and not a Zagato.
I have find the photo of 10814396 in an old magazine. The car have a regular immatriculation plate and I have check the history in italian PRA.
Ciao.
Thanks, that is a more positive trail than I have found. Not mention in any fusi books. I do own the Miller Archives from the early 1950's, that is pre-Cherret and the first hand written UK register. It mentions this car, but only says Spider and does not say UK registered . My PM address is [email protected] if anyone can share info to lead me on course. Currently the car is mechanically in pieces, but all there. From what I can tell, it was on the road in the early 1960's last. This is my first week of questions so hunt - gather - sort - question.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Alfa Romeo 6C10814396 history

I have done a bit of research on this car and have some information that does not agree with a few characteristics already mentioned above and below. Unfortunately, while doing this research I have also learned something that forces me to conclude my input here with the admonishment to "metalfinder" that "you are on your own". You already know part of what has happened to the pre-war Alfa Romeo world. Too many trying to take advantage of increasing interest and values in these cars. But, I would urge some caution in any case.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure WHERE 10814396 is - it's offered to me in an exchange for one of my race cars, through a big Canadian company, the discussion are ALWAYS fuzzy, layered with blah blah - so I can't get all the info I need to decide. All I get is cryptic messages , not straight talk. What happened to the Alfa world I once knew when I bought my first supercharged Alfa 32 years ago? !!! PM me if you can assist. MF

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

One additional observation: The chassis "10814396" SHOULD NOT bear the number "10814393" on the left front dumb-iron unless there is some freakish mismatch or error. The actual 6C10814393 is well known, well documented and bears the number in both the traditional "correct" location as well as the left front dumb-iron which, although not considered "normal", has been observed an adequate number of times on a number of similar cars to make us understand that it is not unusual.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any more info metalfinder?
Are we talking about the same car?
Kind regards.
Cris.-
There is a frame number stamped on the left front chassis rail, it is not the chassis number 10814396. The chassis and frame numbers are always different, unless mistakenly re-stamped. We know this part. The 10814396 number is stamped, preceeding a 6c, on the right rear chassis leg.

If this is a well known car, what is there to hide? Was it Touring bodied, originally?

Is this form sharing info, or selling it? I can understand that certain info cost money to obtain, but I want to know WHO has examined the car and can offer up first hand knowedge that is based on non-cryptic messages.

Any takers to lending the key to the gate on this one - all I want is an honest, fact based opinion.

It can be basic, just so I can get a reading to Green Light this deligence, or 86 it.

MF

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dear Metalfinder,
You quoted my post and then wrote: "Is this form sharing info, or selling it?"
So I have to answer in a clear way so you understand.

I asked if you are talking about the same car and your answer was that you are considering an exchange of cars.

You want direct answers, then OK, I will answer to you though you have not answered to my question.

1. Yes, I know the car and have info.
2. Yes, I´ve inspected it personally at least three times in the last three years.
3. I don't know about the original body.
4. The body it has today is new, so I cannot answer if Zagato or Touring because it is neither of them.
5. The car I am talking about is in Paraná Province of Entre Ríos, in Argentina. More precisely at Villa Lola's Pur Sang factory. You can go there, clap your hands at the entrance and say you want to see the car. If you like it and it is for sale you can do the deal on your own.

And last but not least. You don't have to know me but this sentence you wrote: "Is this form sharing info, or selling it?" after quoting my last message makes me think you have no idea who are you corresponding with, and you don't have to...

By the way, I am Cris Bertschi, author of the book Alfa Romeo Argentina, amongst other books, who are you metalfinder from Switzerland?

Kind regards.
Cris.-

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clap your hands

Ah, A gene in the bottle ! Thanks, that is a straight answer, and yes, I know you - great book, congrads-

Will email you. MF

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks metalfinder,
Though it is allowed to use nicknames in this forum I don't see the point in exchanging information with a person I do not know who he is.
Especially if you say you know me.
So, please, if you want to email me, do it with your real name.
Thank you very much.
Kind regards.
Cris.-

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Of course, just in a tapas bar right now, so, answering from the road, will email you, thanks for the replies, Hola ! MF

·
Registered
170 Posts
Let's put it this way:

CG -> 35 to PC through A.
A has a car known as 10814396 which CG knows because he was helped by A to reach PC.

MF - CG

Small world!
Kind regards.
Cris Bertschi, the original.-

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ALWAYS fuzzy, layered with blah blah

I am not sure WHERE 10814396 is - it's offered to me in an exchange for one of my race cars, through a big Canadian company, the discussion are ALWAYS fuzzy, layered with blah blah - so I can't get all the info I need to decide. All I get is cryptic messages , not straight talk. What happened to the Alfa world I once knew when I bought my first supercharged Alfa 32 years ago? !!! PM me if you can assist. MF
Hello Metalfinder,

So from what I have read sofar, you are exchanging one of your race cars (what kind of car is it?) for an Alfa Romeo of which the location, the condition and authenticity is not known. That sounds tricky. You say that the discussions with the seller are 'ALWAYS fuzzy, layered with blah blah'. All you get are cryptic messages, not straight talk. It becomes even more tricky.
Do you know if the seller is a known and trusted person in the classic cars scene?

A 'big Canadian company' is acting as a liaison? Can they afford to do business like this without damaging their reputation?

May I be blunt and obvious. Ask the seller for you to have a look at the car, bring an expert along, examine the car thoroughly, take lots of pictures, let your expert express his opinion, ask other experts for confirmation. If this is not possible: stay away from this deal.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Small world!

Do you , like , sleep with a metal detector under your pillow?

Or do you just read tarot cards?

Or both !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts