·
Registered
4,875 Posts
and boom goes the dynamite

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,051 Posts
Ya exactly look a japanese rice cooker as quoted above.
Sarcasm off.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I think it looks great and with 230 BHP and only 830 kg it should be pretty sparky. It would be very economical on fuel and cheaper to register here because it is a four cylinder. I hope they make right hand drive versions. One can dream.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Nice, but toy for boys!
Put a real engine inside, then we are talking! Like a 4-500 Hp V8, then it would be a real sports car! Speed would match looks!

G.K.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Put a real engine inside, then we are talking! Like a 4-500 Hp V8, then it would be a real sports car! Speed would match looks!
Uhh, wouldn`t that essentially be the 8C? The point of it is a 4 cylinder version of the 8C. I`d love to see this being affectionatly called a Junior and a 6C come out with similar looks.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Nice, but toy for boys!

G.K.
A friend of mine has a Giulietta with that engine and he loves it. He is a very long time Alfisti and knows what he is talking about. I also have a good friend who is an Alfa enthusiast and salesman for the dealer and he raves about it. In a car weighing only 850 - 900 kilos like the 4C is supposed to it would be dynamite. The 1750 has lots of low down power as well as high end power and it is extremely economical into the bargain. I reckon the 4C will be magic to drive. A light weight, fast four cylinder is getting back to the Alfas of old that we love.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
No doubt that the 1750 engine is a good engine! However it could be the entry level and then take it from there! Alfa has traditions with small V8 engines(like the Montreal), so if they made a modern version like the Hayabusa V8 which is used in cars. It has 400hp in unturbocharged cars and 600 hp in turboed. Its small and weighs only 100kg! So why not use a V8 for a top model of this chassis? Also if the name would collide with the 8C, why not call it GTV8? :)

V8 Bi-Turbo Hayabusa Engine..... - Lumenlab

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,051 Posts
No doubt that the 1750 engine is a good engine! However it could be the entry level and then take it from there! Alfa has traditions with small V8 engines(like the Montreal), so if they made a modern version like the Hayabusa V8 which is used in cars. It has 400hp in unturbocharged cars and 600 hp in turboed. Its small and weighs only 100kg! So why not use a V8 for a top model of this chassis? Also if the name would collide with the 8C, why not call it GTV8? :)

V8 Bi-Turbo Hayabusa Engine..... - Lumenlab
Sorry but Alfas more recent tradition, from the 50's on, has been and will be 4 cylinder power plants. Ferrari, Maserati have the 8/10/12's Alfa and fiat have the 4's. I have no problem with that. The new 4 cylinder's make lots of power , what youre saying is that the look is nice, the 1750 is great but it needs a 8 cylinder to make it real? Nonsense. No offense, just my 200 lira.;)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I don`t think we will ever see `busa type applications in Alfas. Alfa is about sportscars for the people and then a few specials thrown in. The 8C is that special thrown in for this generation. I really don`t think we`ll see another very soon.

I would love to have the 4C but unfortunatley it is out of my price range. I could possibly swing a modern Alfa here in the states if I at least could get a 2+2 since I have a couple kids now. When the last kid goes off to college in 13 years I could look for a used 4C and that would probably make me happy, but I was hoping for a 2+2 to have an Alfa sooner.

I will lust after this when it hits our shores and I see others owning it. Hope to see more of them then the 8C which I`ve only seen twice in the flesh (and it was probably the same one on two occasions at Alfa meets here in the US).

Will the 1750 engine expand in 5 or 6 years to a 2L? How about a non-turbo for less money? I`m sure a 2L with todays tech and the light body would be satisfying as well.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Yes you must have a different experience with Alfa, as the affordable sportscar with a small engine. Over here it was F1 champion ETCC and DTM champion, and for some period it had models which could compete with BMW and Porsche models. That time is gone and it seems that instead of waiting for a competitive sportscar from Alfa its much better to buy something from the competition, because the Alfistas dont demand something substantial.

Some time ago as Alfa was linked with Maserati, there was a promise that from then Alfa would make exciting cars again, with bigger engines and rear wheel drive again. But one has to be very patient to see what arrives eventually. In the meantime we buy something else(of course)!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Personally I can't wait to see the 4C over here. I predict that it will be a fantastic car to drive. The 1750 engine has really livened up the the run out models of the 159 and Brera, despite the weight of those cars. I would be more than happy to have a 159 with a 1750 as a family car. I would also be happy to own a 2.2 159. There are some great deals on ex Alfa company cars here at present. Whatever you say about modern Alfas they are still way different from other cars. They are still driver's cars with a feel and soul that others don't have. We have a new member in our club who went out to buy a small second car recently and drove all the usual suspects. He dropped into the Alfa dealer just out of interest and ended up buying a 147 Monza. He fell instantly in love with it, joined the club within days and can't stop talking about the car. The 147 was far more fun to drive than any of the other similar cars he drove. He had never owned an Alfa before and is now completely hooked. We can go on endlessly here about how they don't build them like they used to blah, blah, blah, but the fact remains that for people who appreciate driving and want something more than a fridge on wheels, Alfas well and truly stand out from the crowd. So a rear wheel drive, light weight car with the gutsy 1750 in it is going to be a stunner I think. I wish I could afford one.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Well there is an upmarket segment here in Europe at least and its only for Alfa to be present! When introducing the 8C it was argumented that no Alfa fan would be able to buy it. The answer was they did not care, the intention was to get new, more well off customers. Also despite the high price all the cars were sold before end of production.

The 4C, as a design study could well be an entry level suggestion which could be afforded by the masses. Then they could fill up with a 6C and an 8C for the higher market, if the 4C had success. If that is the intention I would welcome that, and go for an 8C 3000 for instance. Its still allowed to have Alfa dreams! :)

1 - 20 of 113 Posts