Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rumor around the internet is that Alfa has this car on hand and will show it at Geneva in March. Speculation so far is that the car won't even be built (which probably means its more of a "proper" Alfa than anything else). Still, if it does get built, it will be around $70k and be sold on a limited basis. I hate to say it....but....so much for a brand that use to be all about great performance at a decent price. Hopefully Alfa's depreciation tendencies are also carried over from Europe and us "regular Joe's" can consider one when you can by it used for $35k after about four years.

...if they make it at all, that is.

Alfa Romeo 4C Concept to Debut at Geneva Auto Show | AutoGuide.com News

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
....so much for a brand that use to be all about great performance at a decent price.
Sorry, Arna, but while I too would love to see more afordable Alfa editions, Alfas in the USA have always been expensive... In 1974 a new Alfa Spider was more expensive than a new Corvette (and a new GTV was also higher priced than a Corvette.) When Alfa introduced the 164 line, the 164S was a big hit and the car got great reviews. The electronic suspension was way cool, but the $$ required for sitting in the car and pressing the button at will was viewed as anything but "decently priced".

Best regards,

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I heard that 105 GTVs were priced closely to Jaguars back in the day...I didn't know that a new 1974 Spider cost more than a Corvette though. I guess that if you consider that, then the 4C (with 250 hp) would be a proper "American" Alfa since you can buy a Corvette (with 430 hp) for less than $70k.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
The rumor around the internet is that Alfa has this car on hand and will show it at Geneva in March. Speculation so far is that the car won't even be built (which probably means its more of a "proper" Alfa than anything else). Still, if it does get built, it will be around $70k and be sold on a limited basis. I hate to say it....but....so much for a brand that use to be all about great performance at a decent price. Hopefully Alfa's depreciation tendencies are also carried over from Europe and us "regular Joe's" can consider one when you can by it used for $35k after about four years.

...if they make it at all, that is.
You would expect it to at least be in the M5 league and the guy from the
real world says that an M5 series sells for at least 75k.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If the 4C were available today, on paper, it would be positioned somewhere between:

BMW 330i Coupe - 300HP 6 cyl turbo - Base MSRP $43k
Audi A5 - 211 HP 4 cyl turbo - Base MSRP $37k

I don't see how anyone would pay $70k for the Alfa with the rumored specs.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I heard that 105 GTVs were priced closely to Jaguars back in the day...I didn't know that a new 1974 Spider cost more than a Corvette though. I guess that if you consider that, then the 4C (with 250 hp) would be a proper "American" Alfa since you can buy a Corvette (with 430 hp) for less than $70k.
The Spider was actually priced higher than the GTV...

If the 4C were available today, on paper, it would be positioned somewhere between:

BMW 330i Coupe - 300HP 6 cyl turbo - Base MSRP $43k
Audi A5 - 211 HP 4 cyl turbo - Base MSRP $37k

I don't see how anyone would pay $70k for the Alfa with the rumored specs.
Well, I don't think the specs are the basis for price... At least they never have been. In other countries the Alfa 159 base price is already close to $40k, and invariably they top that figure when they go out the door... Plus, when it comes to the USA market they aren't exactly thinking of a market for the more affordable editions. If they do produce the 5000 edition limited 4C, I'm sure it will be more expensive than a comparable BMW, and I'm sure they will sell them throughout the various countries without much trouble...

Best regards,

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Spider was actually priced higher than the GTV...

Well, I don't think the specs are the basis for price... At least they never have been. In other countries the Alfa 159 base price is already close to $40k, and invariably they top that figure when they go out the door... Plus, when it comes to the USA market they aren't exactly thinking of a market for the more affordable editions. If they do produce the 5000 edition limited 4C, I'm sure it will be more expensive than a comparable BMW, and I'm sure they will sell them throughout the various countries without much trouble...

Best regards,
I agree with you. Comparing a BMW M6 (500HP) to a Maserati GranTurismo S (433HP) for example, the Maserati is almost 20% more expensive at $122k vs. $102k. The M6 is downright ugly, but is a better car by most objective measures, yet the Maserati sells very well despite the price premium.

So if the 4C were to have a 20% price premium over say a BMW 330i Coupe, that would put it at about $55k. Much more reasonable for a limited production car with such specs than $70k.

Afshin

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Says its going to be based on the KTM Crossbow. Sounds like a Lotus Exige competitor. Hopefully they make them as a halo car and sell them here during Alfa's introduction.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Polite response: Anything that looks like this doesn't reflect the Alfa heritage of good styling. The underpinnings may be great for a base, but the resulting car would really need some Italian style.

Impolite response: Barfffff......

Says its going to be based on the KTM Crossbow. Sounds like a Lotus Exige competitor. Hopefully they make them as a halo car and sell them here during Alfa's introduction.

·
Registered
what part?
10,108 Posts
i rather see that alfa spider( form the show proto-type),2alanta made and sold here, has the (spirit) of the spider we drive..sort of like where the s4 left off..s5 maybe?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i rather see that alfa spider( form the show proto-type),2alanta made and sold here, has the (spirit) of the spider we drive..sort of like where the s4 left off..s5 maybe?
Agreed. I wonder how many sporty concepts Alfa will show the public before they finally decide to put one onto production faithfully (not counting the 8C). I hope this is the last one. I want to start seeing Alfa build concepts that people can buy in the near future.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Good Lord that's hideous.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I did some research on the KTM Crossbow. As it turns out, this thing was developed by four companies; KTM, Kiska Design, Audi, and Dallara Automobili. I don't know if that says anything about the practicality of building an Alfa version of this car specifically but I would imagine that striking a deal to license this architecture would be an expensive and potential legal nightmare.

I think the 4C GTA that we see at Geneva will only be a design study for Alfa Romeo, nothing more. If a version of the car actually gets build it will be something vastly different than what it is under the sheet metal right now. I just hope it isn't something like the "Brera" again.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I did some research on the KTM Crossbow. As it turns out, this thing was developed by four companies; KTM, Kiska Design, Audi, and Dallara Automobili. I don't know if that says anything about the practicality of building an Alfa version of this car specifically but I would imagine that striking a deal to license this architecture would be an expensive and potential legal nightmare.

I think the 4C GTA that we see at Geneva will only be a design study for Alfa Romeo, nothing more. If a version of the car actually gets build it will be something vastly different than what it is under the sheet metal right now. I just hope it isn't something like the "Brera" again.
Lotus ended up selling and building Opel Speedster to GM and doing the same for the Tesla Roadster. Both were based on the Lotus Elise chassis. It would be easy and inexpensive for Fiat to have KTM do the same for he Xbow. Put a nice fiberglass body and a hopped up existing FIAT drivetrain and bingo, instant halo car.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
It would be easy and inexpensive for Fiat to have KTM do the same for he Xbow. Put a nice fiberglass body and a hopped up existing FIAT drivetrain and bingo, instant halo car.
The X-Bow is mid-engined and the VAG 1.8 turbo unit in it sounds close to the 1750 tbi on paper. They wouldn't have to change much from the 159/Brera or Giulietta driveline to make it fit behind the seats. We probably won't see it looking like the 2uettotanta though. Not even Myhtbusters can manage to cram an engine in the rear of that ;)

Since KTM canceled the project a while ago (it was very expensive to build), I was sorta wondering where it ended up. Maybe this is it? Or maybe we're all feeding off some ill-informed and malicious blogger's dream.

I must agree with the post above: the number of exciting concepts from Alfa Romeo is beginning to irritate me slightly, but only because the cars that are actually sold are so "normal" compared to them. It wouldn't hurt having a model in the MX-5/Miata/Z3/Z4 bracket. No it wouldn't. No it wouldn't. No it wouldn't!

1 - 20 of 192 Posts