Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ii've just bought a project 2600 Sprint and I'm thinking to bring it back as a restomod. Now It's time to decide what modifications can be done. Any ideas? I enclose a photo. Thanks for your help

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
11,032 Posts
Depends upon budget, preferences for resulting characteristics, and tolerance for pain.

These early big Alfas were delivered with the pin pulled on the rust grenade. So, anything you do needs to start with ensuring all of the structure can deal with road and power demands.

You have room up front for nearly anything. LS crate motor? I’ve got a Montreal V8 on the way to being rebuilt if you want to make everyone lose their minds. It’s probably lighter than the original L6, and about 100HP more potent. Finish up the exterior stock-looking, interior close to stock, and have everyone wondering why two exhaust pipes out the rear. Since you’re already down to the metal, you could open up the wheel wells and flares for more modern tires.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Should be a very interesting project. I like the idea of keeping the exterior close to factory original and only some worthwhile updates to the interior. Certainly, if you do add power one of the updates should be three point seatbelts! You might want to upgrade the brakes as the solid discs won't really handle a lot of horsepower higher performance. Be careful of the transmission being a weak link but if you want to spend the big bucks get the upgraded internals from Bacci Romano in Italy. They informed me that the gears are good for up to 300 horsepower which is also true of their limited slip differential upgrade. Keep all of us in the loop as you move forward.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Don. Do I understand that you are selling the Montreal engine? Whats the cost?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Bora. Yes, I'm thinking to leave the exterior as original as posible. I'll look for extra power and more confortable interior (Air conditioning, better sound, power windows, etc.) Thank you for your advices. I'll let you know how the project goes. Regards

·
Registered
269 Posts
may be of some assistance as I am currently upgrading a 1964 2600 Sprint for my daughter. It may go a bit further than what you are doing but I am undertaking several of the things you are interested in doing. I am doing air conditioning, upgraded suspension, hydraulic power steering, electric water pump, enlarged six cylinder engine (3 liter) and fuel injection, upgraded brakes, dual circuit braking, three point set belts front and rear, fully insulated interior, electric outside mirrors, limited slip differential, more powerful vacuum brake booster, new radiator, and upgraded internals to the larger engine, cruise control, blind spot warning, a modern stereo system along with internally upgrade factory instruments, a small center council, UV tinted windows, custom aluminum wheels that look factory original and a few other minor things!!!! I'm off tomorrow to see how the work is coming along. Obviously things have been slowed down due to the virus but progress is being made.

·
Push hard and live
11,032 Posts
Thank you, Don. Do I understand that you are selling the Montreal engine? Whats the cost?
I’ve got the Montreal engine I removed from my car. The engine was running fine, but it was time to renew.

I rebuilt another engine and installed it in my car, which I sold. So, now I’m preparing to overhaul the remaining engine, and sell it.

As it sits, I have $12,000 invested in this engine. Maybe a little more. I’m not sure what the remaining costs will be, but estimate $2,000 - $4,000, or possibly more.

So, if you are hoping for a bargain on a Montreal engine, this isn’t it. I’ve got a little over $3,000 in the Spica pump overhaul alone. Numerous spare parts, and already renewed components.

It is fun to consider a 2600 Sprint with a Montreal V8, isn’t it?

You would want to improve the suspension, brakes, and tires, I expect. That, or a ballistic parachute.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
and why not put all the Montreal's mechanical components ? (gearbox, trans, rear axle, engine)

:):)

·
Push hard and live
11,032 Posts
and why not put all the Montreal's mechanical components ? (gearbox, trans, rear axle, engine)

:):)
Well.... most of a Montreal is vanilla 105, so not that hard to find. Frankly, the 102/106 rear end architecture is not much different than a 105, and possibly stronger.

The 105 front suspension is marginally better that’s the 106 by having adjustable castor, but if one is going to attempt that small change, just dial up Summit Racing for an all-adjustable set up.

The Monty ZF trans is the minimum entry for the additional HP, but I reckon there’s a number of cheaper and neater solutions if one is willing to fab the adapter plate and bell housing.

One of the pluses is the Monty is a near generation mate. 67 to 70 isn’t that far. The Monty engine is injected, but analog and self contained. Plug and play. No ECU.

I like the idea, but it’s not my party. Only downside? I get grumpy if someone tries to go cheap on me.

Fantasy isn’t cheap.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Not wishing to rain on your parade

But, the 2600 Sprint and Spider have a large cross member under the front of the engine. . so the 2600 has a large T sump to the rear of the engine. The 105 series is the opposite with the T sump at the front.

I bought a 2600 Sprint a few years ago which had begun a journey down the resto mod route . The owner had bought a V6 from a GTV 6 or similar and spent a lot of money having a custom bell housing made to mate with the 2600 gearbox which is different and longer on the input shaft . You could stick any of the 105 series engine straight 4 , V6 or V8 engines onto this. He then tried to crane the whole lot into the 2600 sprint engine bay and found he had the large cross member in the way. , so he gave up .

I refitted a std 2600 engine and the car is now on its way to a full restoration as a std sprint

I still have access to the bell housing if you want it.

Bora's approach with a bored our 2600 is best . My 2600 spider is now up to around 180 bhp with high lift cams etc.

More power in these cars really does not work as the big engine ahead of the front axle causes massive oversteer , as video

Maybe move the engine backwards and drive it from the back seat - that would be a real resto mod.

Or I guess a dry sump conversion on the Montreal engine then no sump required

Good luck

Ian

·
Push hard and live
11,032 Posts
Ian,

The Montreal V8 came with a dry sump as original fitment. The sump is very nearly a flat plate. Plus, the engine is significantly shorter than the 2600, almost certainly moving the center of mass rearward as compared. If you get a mental picture of a Monty, you can see the extents Alfa went to keep the hood low, and the car’s mass as far rearward as possible.

As I’m imagining things now, I predict the front of the V8 would be just about the forward edge of the crossmember you mentioned. Plenty of room to add air conditioning and power steering!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Agreed Good news then. If there is space in front of the engine a more modern steering rack with power steering could be fitted .

Don , what bellhousing is used on the Montreal it the same as the V6 - if so the "special bellhousing I have access to would work

·
Registered
269 Posts
Besic Motorsports was able to fit a modern rack and pinion power steering rack on my 2600 Sprints it can be done. Maybe check with them to see if they can set you up with something.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yes I have also seen it done on a South African 2600 sprint they lifted the engine 1 inch to get the rack underneath. its on the board somewhere.

·
Administrator
14,476 Posts
Many often underestimate the complexity in an engine conversion. It is way more complicated than engine mounts and bellhousing sourcing. That is the easy part.

If you watch any professional hot rod, etc. show and they start by positioning the engine where they want it to be, AND then re-engineer everything around it to get the complete package right. So if there is a front cross member in the way, it needs to be re-engineered to clear, same with bulkhead (then heater, etc.) and so on.

It is as much effort as a full restoration, which is why 99% are done poorly and the end result is often a dangerous car

Saying that, this 2600 Sprint looks ripe for this ... and any Alfa Romeo that deserves to be hot rodded, this is up there
Pete

·
Push hard and live
11,032 Posts
I suspect the Montreal rear face is unique. It utilized a ZF 5 speed trans, and the engine was not used in other cars. Probably need either a custom trans and bell housing, or just find a set from a dead Monty. Nice box, engineered for the 250+ HP.

·
Administrator
14,476 Posts
Peal body off chassis and stick it on top of a crashed ~2010 Corvette

Pete

Reactions: Milanoguy

·
Push hard and live
11,032 Posts
Like all Alfas since the early 50s, the body IS the chassis.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you very much for your comments and advice. Now I have to plan what I'll do and start searching for parts. I'll let you know how the project goes. Please keep talking to me. Regards

·
Administrator
14,476 Posts
Like all Alfas since the early 50s, the body IS the chassis.
Correct, but you can still peal the outer bodywork off and connect it to another unibody structure. Example, A guy in England pealed a Ford 101 body off and put it on a Miata structure. Its a lot of work and you need to know what you are doing ... and will it end up road legal?

So yeah, maybe better to just drop in the Corvette running gear
Pete

1 - 20 of 56 Posts