Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who can tell me the history (and background) of the Alfa Romeo 1900's that were built by Imperia in Nessonvaux (Liège - Belgium) in the period 1953-1954?

How many cars were built? Did these cars had a specific chassis number? Were there any differences between the Milan built and Nessonvaux built 1900's? Why ended production after just 1 year? ...

·
Registered
905 Posts
There are no precise records of the number of cars assembled at Nessonvaux, nor do they seem to have specific chassis numbers. In addition to an estimated 50 1900 Berlinas, 6 1900 CS Touring were also assembled there.

The Nessonvaux 1900s had their upholstery made in Belgium, therefore distinctive. All other parts came from Italy, and the bare shells were painted at Imperia.

The assembly of 1900s was probably not profitable enough for Imperia struggling for life at the moment. 1900s were still very expensive cars at their time.

Imperia was also importer for Alfas before that and up to the end, as can be seen from advertisements for the Giulietta Sprint issued by Imperia in the Belgian press.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info!

Do you know if the Belgium built Alfa's were all sold in Belgium or if some of them were exported to other countries?
Were in that period also Italian built Alfa Romeo 1900's Berlina and 1900 CS Touring's imported in Belgium or were they all locally built? (to avoid import taxes?)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Thanks for that info!

Do you know if the Belgium built Alfa's were all sold in Belgium or if some of them were exported to other countries?
I don't know for sure, but it would have made no sense.

Were in that period also Italian built Alfa Romeo 1900's Berlina and 1900 CS Touring's imported in Belgium or were they all locally built? (to avoid import taxes?)
Of course, since the operation had as goal avoiding custom duties, the imported 1900s were either before or possibly after the Imperia assembly duration.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nessonvaux label on alfa part

I found a NOS Alfa part (speedometer linkage in the gearbox) that has a label from Imperia Nessonvaux.
As I got the part last Wednesday, I went to see the old plant today, it is still standing. I doubt that many people went through the gates since closure in 1958....on the one hand, sad to see it in this shape, on the other hand amazing that soo much is still left......

Regards,

Jelle
enjoy the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
The oddly shaped structure in the last picture is a part of the former "test track on the roof". In Europe only Fiat (Lingotto) and Imperia had such a feature.

Also see this video with a view on the old production plant.

The marque Imperia is being reincarnated now with a hybrid sportscar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In 1954 and 1955, Paul Frère (belgian pilot...) went to Imperia to keep an Alfa 1900 TI to race at Spa... and he won the "tourism" category (< 2600 cc).

Photo : André Van Bever

1 - 8 of 8 Posts