Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Alfa Romeo 164 3.0 V6 12V 1992 US Automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Germany!

from a quick look I noticed this 164 forum is still pretty active and maybe there are some members from europe reading.

I bought an Alfa Romeo 164 3.0 V6 12V from around 91-92. It is a US Import.

The fuel pump is in pretty bad shape and not functional. I already bought the fuel pump motor, but dont want to assamble all back together with missing / broken seals and a beat-up metal head cover.

All I can find on europe resellers are fuel pump parts for the europe plastic fuel pump.

I need the following parts (see picture for diagram and numbers):

rubber seal with screw holes (part 16)
metal head of fuel pump (part 1)
rubber bushing of fuel pump (part 20 & part 12)

Best case would be getting a complete (used) US fuel pump.

White Organ Organism Font Line

Maybe somebody knows a europe seller or someone who is willing to sell me these parts.

Many thanks in regards,
Carsten from Germany

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my pretty rough fuel pump:
Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Grey Font
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Gas Rim
Serveware Kitchen utensil Gas Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

28,704 Posts
FIRST OFF did you get a 53mm Bosch fuel pump with check valve already in top of the pump? If not be sure outlet port has fine threads as your old 164 pump has fine threads and most pumps now have coarse threads.

Items you ask for:
1 - *60542711 steel tank cover
16 - *60542710 steel cover rubber gasket
12 - **60572049 53mm fuel pump rubber bushing FERRARI 153188
153188 FUEL PUMP GASKET (53mm) - Ricambi America, Inc.
Ferrari 456 GT/GTA - Fuel Pump Rubber Gasket- P/N 153188 | eBay
20 - *60801761 nylon cover to hold item 12 bushing SHOULD BE REUSEABLE
Some add on parts I suggest you get:
14 - **82404491 rubber pad for item 3 bucket pan 82435326 USE FERRARI 126807
Ferrari Fuel Pump Anti-Vibration Pad 126807 awitalian.com | eBay
126807 PLATE - Ricambi America, Inc.
13 - *60801388 ss by 82393601 filter basket Fuel Pump Filter fits Fiat Lancia Alfa Romeo 60801388 Genuine | eBay in Cyprus.
3 - 82435326 bucket pan if sides are broken where item 2 stainless steel strap 608016606 mounts
21/31 - 60777347/60807696 hoses you need SAE30R10 rated submersible 5/16" (7.9mm) hose
* I have some of these used parts
** I have new of these

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Alfisto Steve! I will do some digging with these part numbers.

I got this fuel pump: SKV KRAFTSTOFFPUMPE BENZINPUMPE passend für ALFA 164 FIAT CROMA 154 LANCIA THEMA | eBay - Should be fine? But it seems the check valve is not mounted on top like in the pictures. It just has a brown plastic cover (don't have access to the pump right now).

Do you know, if there is a possibility to refit the Europe fuel pump (the plastic screw-on cover) into a US Alfa 164? Would be much easier to just keep looking for a broken Alfa 164 and grab the fuel pump, because I can't seem to find the "60542710 steel cover rubber gasket" anywhere in Europe.

· Registered
2,397 Posts
Hi, do you by any chance have one of the modern pumps sold as compatible but unable to use the standard banjo connector to the check valve. I put one of them in my car but if I had known the hassle I would have getting it all to fit I would have sent it back and got a Bosch one identical to original - more expensive but no hassle. Here is a pic of the sort of thing I had to do with mine - which isn't the latest version of what I tried but close enough to give you an idea. My car is a plastic tank 164 3.0 24v but the innards seem pretty identical.
In short, avoid this route if possible.
Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gas Rim Auto part

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My new fuel pump looking like this in reality: Cylinder Gas Electric blue Drinkware Auto part

It could be possible the brown / black plastic is just a cover. I didn't get the chance to see the pump in my hands yet.

28,704 Posts
Thank you Alfisto Steve! I will do some digging with these part numbers.

I got this fuel pump: SKV KRAFTSTOFFPUMPE BENZINPUMPE passend für ALFA 164 FIAT CROMA 154 LANCIA THEMA | eBay - Should be fine? But it seems the check valve is not mounted on top like in the pictures. It just has a brown plastic cover (don't have access to the pump right now).

Do you know, if there is a possibility to refit the Europe fuel pump (the plastic screw-on cover) into a US Alfa 164? Would be much easier to just keep looking for a broken Alfa 164 and grab the fuel pump, because I can't seem to find the "60542710 steel cover rubber gasket" anywhere in Europe.
The check valve is under the brown plastic cover. You have to reuse/install your banjo fitting, copper gaskets, and 17mm nut over it.

www.difatta.com shows rubber gasket in stock 6054271000 Z SEAL QTY 3 $39.00 23.00
his email is [email protected] ASk him about the parts you need. Easier if you give him the parts numbers. He ships to Europe. He has lots of 164 parts and more.

I can help you out with what he doesn't have.

2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,851 Posts
I am amazed as to just how complicated and involved that pump assembly is compared to the older cars, even as new as the Milano, with it's simple fuel pump just sitting under the car. I wonder if something like a Milano setup would work, forgetting about all that messy emission plumbing, etc. Would have to come up with a intank pick up, but still...

28,704 Posts
Here are some pix:
Gas Kitchen utensil Tool Wood Auto part

Computer Automotive tire Personal computer Gas Automotive wheel system

Table Tableware Drinkware Gas Cup

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this a fuel pump you are willing to sell to europe? With all the rubber parts?

A complete pump would be the best, because my plastic baskets with the filters are not really looking great…

Automotive tire Fluid Wood Pottery Gas
Drinkware Cup Serveware Wood Gas

28,704 Posts
Is this a fuel pump you are willing to sell to europe? With all the rubber parts?

A complete pump would be the best, because my plastic baskets with the filters are not really looking great…

View attachment 1742356 View attachment 1742357
I could sell the parts and you would have to assemble with your new pump.
I could sell you the two new Ferrari Parts at my total cost with shipping I paid for them. I have to find my invoice on them. Cost me $182.08 for those two Ferrari Parts
That 60801388 or 82393601 filter basket on ebay in Cyprus might be way to go if Difatta doesn't have one. I know he had the 60807761 basket cover but yours looks fine so reuse it.

As for outer 60807760/82435326 bucket yours looks fine. Are the two latches on sides that stainless strap locks into OK? My bucket has one side latch cracked.

· Registered
2,397 Posts
My new fuel pump looking like this in reality: View attachment 1742301

It could be possible the brown / black plastic is just a cover. I didn't get the chance to see the pump in my hands yet.
As Steve has said, looks like you have the right one - take off the cover and transfer the original banjo check valve unit to it and you're good to go. Way easier and potentially better than the route I took.

· Registered
2,397 Posts

View attachment 1742356 View attachment 1742357
Would your basket not clean up OK with a little TLC? As for the Ferrari parts, if you are based in Europe does it make sense to buy European parts sold to the US and then sold back to Europe, with all the added shipping and tax costs associated? On the other hand, Steve really knows what he's talking about so you'll have peace of mind.

28,704 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would your basket not clean up OK with a little TLC? As for the Ferrari parts, if you are based in Europe does it make sense to buy European parts sold to the US and then sold back to Europe, with all the added shipping and tax costs associated? On the other hand, Steve really knows what he's talking about so you'll have peace of mind.
Yeah, I got the basket clean with some washing powder. It looks like new now. Thought for a minute, that the filter mesh was broken, but everything is fine.

Just cleaned out the tank itself from some nasty stuff (fuel thinner, oil) and will try some test runs.

After that, I will get the missing parts for the fuel pump.

And after that, I will look into the head gasket leak... Still a lot work to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.