Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been looking at the Alfa Romeo 159 and thought about getting a used one.
So I wanted to ask some questions.

Are they really that unreliable? I read a lot that they are not reliable but then there are people who love them and have racked up the kms with no to little problems.

Do they cost a lot to service? Is basic servicing like oil and coolant changes easy like any other car so I can do it myself?

What do people here think about them?
Is one with 100,000 km + on the clock is not recommended? They are cheap at 100,000+, but is that because they need a lot of repairs or about to have something break?

I was looking at the V6 version but I heard they have timing belt issues and aren't recommend?
The 5 cylinder version sounds good but I can't find any that are Ti and Q4 in Australia.

Is front wheel vs Q4/AWD a huge difference? Should I go for Q4 for sure?

Thanks,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi

I own 2.2 JTS Selespeed - that's the most common model on my market.
IMHO the best version to own is 2.4 JTD with manual. Not sure if these were available in Australia.
If your choice is only petrol engines - go for either 2.2 or 1.75. The large 3.2 is powerful, but thirsty and yes, there are issues with timing because of long oil change intervals mostly. The internals clog and the engine dies.

Reliability and cost to run - depends on a car you'll find. They aren't new, take that into account.
I'm well familiar only with issues of 2.2. Yes, around 100,000 mark you do have replace a lot of parts, but then they are reliable again.

Self service is difficult unless you ditch bottom engine cover. It's being held on 10 bolts of 2 types. Serious task removing or putting back if vehicle is not on a lift.

One last thing: buy 17" or 18" wheels only. 18 look nicer but ride is hard. Stay away from 19" wheels because the tires are expensive and hard to find.

TI is a trim: different wheels, seats and steering wheel. Side skirts, black roof inside, lowered suspension (the latter comes on some non TI cars as well). Could be ordered on any engine, from 1.75 to 3.2, including diesels.

Unless you live in wet/snowy area (and I guess you are not), there are no reason to stick with Q4. The 159 holds the road phenomenally.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I've got a 2010 159 Ti with the 1750 turbo petrol engine, 67k miles. Brilliant car,really enjoying it. My only qualms:
- The Ti has 19" alloys with low profile P Zero tyres...man, you feel every bump. Run over a coin, and I can tell you if it's heads or tails. Saying that, the upside is that it corners like it's on rails.
- The car sits low, so you have to get used to scraping over speed humps, etc. And watch those curbs when parking !
- Engine is great, goes like stink.
- Clutch takes some getting used to, to ensure smooth pull-away at the lights. Light effort, but sensitive.
- Very comfortable over long journeys. Seats have extended bases, so good leg support.
- Watch out for subframe corrosion. If you can, get the vehicle up on a lift, remove under tray, and inspect subframe carefully.
- Tyre wear can be an issue. Make sure alignment is spot-on and pressures correct to get max life.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can add that TI do have more tire wear on the inside, not only on front but also on rears. This is the factory setting for better cornering.
You may try having wheels aligned as for standard models - except for wheel size the chassis is identical.

And for more comfortable ride - underinflate the tires. Go for some 39-42 psi instead of 48 (I think?). A friend does just that.

Have you had your calipers repainted?

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
No, calipers are as they came from factory (and look great, I think !)

Will investigate tyre pressure issue, thanks for the tip. So far, no wear is evident.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That is my new entry...
Alfa 159 ti Sportwagon

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can add that TI do have more tire wear on the inside, not only on front but also on rears. This is the factory setting for better cornering.
You may try having wheels aligned as for standard models - except for wheel size the chassis is identical.

And for more comfortable ride - underinflate the tires. Go for some 39-42 psi instead of 48 (I think?). A friend does just that.

Have you had your calipers repainted?

From my User Manual of my Alfa 159 SW Ti
Original 19" Rim and 235/40ZR19 Tire

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
... and Ready for the Winter..

235/45-18....

Attachments

·
Registered