Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody knows if any other piston rod fits in this engine. I loked this on okp web site

Con rod 1750 - 2000cc 105 / 115 / 116 / 75 / 155
Product no.: AR 10 009 006

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
The 102 rods are unique to that family of engines. It is possible rods from a 1900 or FNM 2000, 2150, or 2300 will work, but I believe the time and expense to locate those would argue for simply having a new set of rods fabricated.

Steve, at Top End Performance in SoCal is supposed to have done some research and determined that slightly longer rods, with a smaller wrist pin, and custom pistons could be made that would improve several things about the 102/2000 engine.

The smaller wrist pin would reduce the oscillating mass, whereas the longer rod and different piston would improve the rod angle, and improve the ratio of mass above and below the pin axis.

The simplest solution for your request is to have a new set of rods fabricated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i understand the 2300 is an alfetta and the alfetta rods is posible to buy on akp.de for 115 euro a peace so this is posible?

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
No, I was referring to the FNM 2300, which was built in Brazil from 1962 through the mid 80s. The FNM cars were a derivative of the Italian 102-2000 cars from 1958-1961. I repeat, to my knowledge there is no other connecting rod within the Alfa product range that will work, except those related to the 102-2000.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
You would most likely be better off using your original rods or stock Two-Liter (Type 102) rods if your rods are damaged.

Contact Christian Ondak at OKP; perhaps he can help you find the correct rods. I believe that he has or had an old style Two-Liter.

Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
I know that the Brazilian FNM rods are the same, even to the point of having the 102 part number on the casting. That the 2000 and FNM rods have a 102 numbers hints that the 1900 rods are, at least in some detail, different. One could find these rods in Brazil, but it’s ligistically a nuisance.

The 102 engines, while marvelous fun, were not known for longevity. I’ve got a crank and head from an engine with evidence of a destructive bottom end failure. I know of at least one other, because I owned it in the 70’s. So, hiding in boxes somewhere, are unused rods with either no crank or case to be served.

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
Having now seen a picture of 1900 rods, they are not the same as 2000. I’d skip any experiments in that direction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all ,
I have a set of 1900/102 con rods which were made here in the UK by a very reputable supplier . They are used extensively in the historic racing fraternity and safe for well over 7000.rpm
Robson Engineering.......Formerly Farndon ......
Highly recommend them . they will replicate an existing rod or work to dimensions supplied.
I think cost was about £800. for a set of 4 .
Good hunting
I have photos but can't upload them!

·
Push hard and live
9,657 Posts
The new system allows you to either cut and paste, or drag and drop photos. There may be a total file-size limit, however.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts