Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought these AR lowering springs and installed them on my 164-S in March of 1997. They lowered the front end of the car about 1-3/4" and the rear end about 1-1/4" from the stock spring height. I loved the 'snakey' look (shown below) with the lowering springs. They are something like 10 or 15% stiffer than stock and they are linear instead of progressive. In a turn they are much more consistent without the initial 'sag' when cornering. In a moment of weakness they were removed -February of 2007, after traveling about 70,000 miles; I've considered reinstalling them ever since...

Something has come up that I am interested in. How about $250 for the springs plus actual shipping in the USA, OBO.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alfa romeo Alfa romeo 164

Coil spring Suspension Suspension part Spiral Hatchback

Red Material property Fashion accessory

These are also offered on eBay now.
Send me a PM before there are any bids...
Mark

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
27,993 Posts
Mark my BB2 the 164S I sold in March had a very similar stance setting on Eibach linear springs and 16" Valbrem wheels.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve, That'ss a good look. I like the handling with linear springs better then the progressive springs -which seem to have a fairly predictable 'dip' as you go into a turn, too. My 'S' is also on 16" (Momo) wheels.
The one 'benefit' of the stock Springs is the 'Auto' suspension setting is more usable. It seemed to 'pogo' over bridges & bumps with the Ricambi springs and auto suspension setting.

Mark

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
27,993 Posts
My used S came to me in 2011 with L struts and two broken front springs so never experienced "electric" S auto/sport suspension. I installed Konis and Eibach springs and sway bars.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 'box stock' 1991 'L' that I restored for my son's first Alfa, had a very pleasant ride. Maybe not nearly as sporty as an 'S' on sport but much more taught then the 'S' on auto -which is a 'land yacht' glide. The 'S' with red Ricambi sport Springs on sport setting was on the verge of being harsh. :)

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.