Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a recommendation for a good, reliable, reasonable, trustworthy, alfa restoration shop in Midwest. Have a GTV 2000 that needs interior, mechanical going-through. I want a reliable nearly daily driver when done. Don't need (or want) a trailer queen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 69 GTV that has now been through a major restoration. I have used Italia Automobili in Northbrook, IL. (Al Promisco) He has been extremely helpful on a number of levels. I have found him to be honest and reliable. He is not fast, but he does a superb job. Labor rates are below market in this area, so he is a bargain in that regard. He has access to several suppliers that are somewhat hidden and off the beaten path - that becomes very helpful when one does a major restoration. He did my engine and I already had a set of main bearings for the crankshaft. He put in the bearings, spun the crank by hand and didn't like the way it "felt" so he grabbed another set out of his stock and exchanged them for my bearings. I watched him check the torque on crankshaft saddles 3 times "just to be sure". He is meticulous. His shop is tight and looks messy, but he know where everything is and he has all the correct tools to do the job right. He is not too busy to answer questions or take your phone call. Realize that he does run a business and his time is valuable. He appreciates that understanding. My first impression was that he was a tough guy to work with, but I found out quickly that he was really nice and interested in doing a good job. Don't jerk him around. Don't try to low-ball him (he is already priced right) and you will get along superbly! His number is (847) 480-8980

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
I have a 69 GTV that has now been through a major restoration. I have used Italia Automobili in Northbrook, IL. (Al Promisco) He has been extremely helpful on a number of levels. I have found him to be honest and reliable. He is not fast, but he does a superb job. Labor rates are below market in this area, so he is a bargain in that regard. He has access to several suppliers that are somewhat hidden and off the beaten path - that becomes very helpful when one does a major restoration. He did my engine and I already had a set of main bearings for the crankshaft. He put in the bearings, spun the crank by hand and didn't like the way it "felt" so he grabbed another set out of his stock and exchanged them for my bearings. I watched him check the torque on crankshaft saddles 3 times "just to be sure". He is meticulous. His shop is tight and looks messy, but he know where everything is and he has all the correct tools to do the job right. He is not too busy to answer questions or take your phone call. Realize that he does run a business and his time is valuable. He appreciates that understanding. My first impression was that he was a tough guy to work with, but I found out quickly that he was really nice and interested in doing a good job. Don't jerk him around. Don't try to low-ball him (he is already priced right) and you will get along superbly! His number is (847) 480-8980
Al has been around Alfas longer than me a that is 34 years and counting. He is an excellent person to take your Alfa to. Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts