Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious about something. For years I thought that Alfa Red / AR501 was a Bertone / GT color and spiders were always Signal or Carmen Red. (I'm talking 70s and 80s for the most part).

In looking at some of the threads on color, that seems to be right. But I also saw a bunch or comments about spiders being "Alfa Red of course".

Were Spiders Veloces 2000s ever really Alfa Red or always the brighter Signal Red type color? Anyhow, just curious.

Thoughts?
Cervantes

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. The era I was really into such things (and had several of those dealer color charts) was 70s and early 80s, so maybe that is why I was so certain on that. Perhaps Alfa Red was introduced to Spiders later.

Anyhow, thanks for the insights. That was really confusing me!

Cervantes

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
There were a lot of different reds used on Alfa spiders over the years. Some reds were only used a year or two. My 88 Quad is Russo Red, AR 550 Russo and was only used on 88 and 89 models. I like it because it is very very red.

Robert

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
My 79 is Carmen Red. It is a slightly orange red. I like it and I had it re-painted the original color but it is impossible to find touch up paint. I would be inclined to go with Porsche Guards red next time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Robert,

Is the Alfa in the attached image the AR550? I really like that shade. It would be interesting to see several of these red door-by-side for comparison.

I did not realize there was so much variety on Spider reds! This 550 looks brighter than Alfa Red but less orange then signal red. Is that accurate?

So many great colors! It has been fun going thru pictures on this site!

Cervantes

·
Registered
523 Posts
My '73 Spider was originally AR 501 Rosso, but when I had it repainted I had my paint guys match to a AR 514 Farina Red paint chip I had. The Farina Red is a somewhat brighter red with a hint of orange, and I much prefer it to AR 501, which I always thought was a somewhat dull, unappealing red.

Best regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Robert,Is the Alfa in the attached image the AR550? I really like that shade. It would be interesting to see several of these red door-by-side for comparison.
Cervantes
Yes, the repaint was with AR-550 Russo Red. But all reds look slightly differend depending on the car being viewed in direct sunlight or in shade. The ultraviolet in sunlight has a pronounced effect on the light absorption and reflection by the red paint.

This photo is the same repaint after the car was reassembled, but it was taken on a cloudy day. Exact same car and paint.

I have always had red sports cars and in my earlier days devoted a lot of time and effort trying to find a red which looks red in shade but not orange in direct sunlight. I even painted a 59 Giulietta spider International Harvester Implement Red trying to achieve a total red appearance. This AR-550 Russo red is the most satisfying red I have ever found and I am totally happy with it.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
I really like the red of my spider it stands out really well in a line of red cars

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robert, I really do like the looks of that shade of red! Bright but not orange. Sharp!

Spydaman, I actually really like the white too! I can see that it would really stand out in a crowd of Spiders. I am surprised how good Spiders can look in white. It seems like Alfa has used a few shades of white too, no? Is that a standard Alfa shade of white?

Both look great!

Cervantes

·
Registered
520 Posts
im sure you guys know about this already, but one can email alfa-romeo directly at their historic museum, with their VIN number, and after a few weeks, will recieve an email specifying their original dealership, and the paint-code that it shipped with.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi Cervantes .
My Alfa is a factory colour but it had a respray sometime before I bought her in the same colour. A couple of years later it deteriorated to a 50 / 50 paint job. I had 9 years of daily driver joy from the spider which is now under a major restoration.
P. S. I succumbed to my urges and purchased this GT Junior last week

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
AR510 - Carmen Red

My '79 Spider is AR510 Carmen Red and I wanted to touch up the engine bay. I found that Ford Farm Implement Red is almost identical and I have since used it to touch up chips in more prominent areas. This paint is about $20/quart at Tractor Supply Company.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts