Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A SNO member recently sent a postcard from his home in Finland. (We are a worldwide association of Alfa improvers, after all.) The postcard features a picture of his Spider and, better yet, the stamp does too.

Can we put our own car photos on stamps in the U.S.? I could check with the Postal Service, but it's more fun asking here and letting someone else do the work.

You can see pictures of what Pekka Rossi sent me at the bottom of this web page: http://greend.com/alfa_pix_2.htm Be warned, if you aren't on a fast web connection, loading this mass of photos will take a while. There's another page of member photos at: http://greend.com/Alfa_pix_1.htm

By the way, featuring the Stovebolt on pix page 1 wasn't a way of sucking up to C&SC. It's a wonderful car that does have an Alfa connection, as Simon Taylor explains on the web page.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Yes, you can put your alfa on stamps. Try Photostamps.com On the website it should tell you how to upload your picture to their website and have your pictures printed on the stamps.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Shameless plug...

Can we put our own car photos on stamps in the U.S.?
Well yes and no. You can kind of put a picture of an Alfa on a stamp but in reality it's more like a sticker just to the side of the postage stamp.

http://www.pbstampexpressions.com/seprinter/index.cfm

or

http://www.pbstampexpressions.com/personalpostage/index.cfm

Basically, you upload a photo to get approval and them download it to the stamp printer (black and white only) or have the sheets printed (color) and sent to you. Be aware though, the stamp printer doesn't work with Vista yet (I just found this out the other day when I tried to upload a new picture :mad:)

I think there are other options/suppliers but seeing that my wife works for Pitney Bowes, I feel I should plug their product first!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Like VeloceDoc says "stamps.com" is the one to use. Your image is the stamp just like a regular stamp. Some of the other vendors noted just put a sticker attached to a regular stamp.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Alfa Postage Stamp and Postcard -- Too Cool!

Well yes and no. You can kind of put a picture of an Alfa on a stamp but in reality it's more like a sticker just to the side of the postage stamp.
I could be wrong, but I think what is being indicated in the above post, is that you can put anything they will approve on a "sticker" like a postage stamp, but that it is not legal tender for mailing and still requires a regular postal stamp for mailing since it can be placed beside or to the side of the stamp.

Basically, you upload a photo to get approval and them download it to the stamp printer (black and white only) or have the sheets printed (color) and sent to you. Be aware though, the stamp printer doesn't work with Vista yet (I just found this out the other day when I tried to upload a new picture :mad:)
I do not like Vista, my daughter has it on her laptop because I didn't have a choice, other than taking it off and reinstalling XP, which I wasn't up to. So she's having to learn to deal with it. The place I work has refused to use it because of the problems and issues associated with it for which I'm grateful.

I think there are other options/suppliers but seeing that my wife works for Pitney Bowes, I feel I should plug their product first!
Plug away, actually, I like them most of the time. However, they still owe me $9.71 from a Pitney Bowes postal meter I returned many years ago, like 10. Do you think a check may show up some time in the future or shall I write that off as an uncollectible receivable? ;)

Like VeloceDoc says "stamps.com" is the one to use. Your image is the stamp just like a regular stamp. Some of the other vendors noted just put a sticker attached to a regular stamp.
As noted above, unless I've misread or misinterpreted, I don't think these images can be used as legal tender in place of a "regular" postal stamp; but, instead as an addition to as a personal signature, so to speak.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Hi Cheryl,

actually it is a legal stamp and is authorized by the U.S. Postal Service (Stamps.com anyway). They will have the current $.41 postage or another amount from a drop down menu printed to the right of your image. Of course they will not allow obscence images or copy infringed items. I did some of my niece skate boarding about a year ago. It's not cheap but they are great for promos, wedding invites, or special ocasions/holidays.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts

Hi Cheryl,

actually it is a legal stamp and is authorized by the U.S. Postal Service (Stamps.com anyway). They will have the current $.41 postage or another amount from a drop down menu printed to the right of your image. Of course they will not allow obscence images or copy infringed items. I did some of my niece skate boarding about a year ago. It's not cheap but they are great for promos, wedding invites, or special ocasions/holidays.
It's a really neat idea and allows unique individual or event specific personalization. If I understand what you wrote, your stamp image cannot be placed on an envelope or postcard etc. without the Pitney Bowes or USPS metered mail logo indicating the amount of money paid. So while your image is legal tender, only with the added "meter" or whatever to the right indicating amount paid; it's not technically, a 41 cent stamp with the value imprinted on it as part of the image like a traditional postage stamp, which I suppose are no longer traditional since they now sell the forever stamp without a fixed amount shown.

I'm sorry this thread was not up earlier this year when we were doing wedding invitations for Pat and my oldest daugter. Oh well, maybe for the next one, daughter that is.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
From stamps.com when you upload your image and order the amount of stamps by the sheet, they approve, process and ship you the sheets. No special printer needed for these. They are just like any stamp you can buy from the post office. You can actually go to the site and mock up some stamps to see how it looks and just dump the order. Or click "Buy" Here's a link.
http://photo.stamps.com/Store/learn-more/real/

·
Registered
4,631 Posts

From stamps.com when you upload your image and order the amount of stamps by the sheet, they approve, process and ship you the sheets. No special printer needed for these. They are just like any stamp you can buy from the post office. You can actually go to the site and mock up some stamps to see how it looks and just dump the order. Or click "Buy" Here's a link.
http://photo.stamps.com/Store/learn-more/real/
Thanks, so much.

I understand now that the barcode is a part of your actual "imaged" legal tender stamp that you receive. Peviously, from reading the text my vision was of an appendage type item placed next to your personalized stamp. I clicked and played at the site some, which I had avoided, heeding the previous warning about one of the sites being a slow loader; while I have patience, waiting for slow loading pages is not one of them.

A wonderful gift idea for the person that has everything and you never know what to get them.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I used Stamps.com for a couple of years and the stamps are legal tender for our postal system. The added benefit of the picture of your choice is personalization. The coded bar on the side is what the reader see's and cancels the stamp.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts

I used Stamps.com for a couple of years and the stamps are legal tender for our postal system. The added benefit of the picture of your choice is personalization. The coded bar on the side is what the reader see's and cancels the stamp.
Are you saying the barcode reader has a way of canceling the stamp without ruining the image for the person on the receiving end, like with big black stripes through it. I assummed, that they would have to be hand canceled with the big red round date stamp.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
:) I really don't know because I have never had a stamp returned to me. I am "thinking" that the reader sees the stamp and passes it. It might cancel it or it might just send it on through. Be nice if it didn't cancel it and saw it as already used. I am not that up on postal procedures. The bar code is for the post office that scans the stamps at high speed and cancels them before sending them to the destination.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think what is being indicated in the above post, is that you can put anything they will approve on a "sticker" like a postage stamp, but that it is not legal tender for mailing and still requires a regular postal stamp for mailing since it can be placed beside or to the side of the stamp.
As other have noted, it depends on the product you buy. The PB meter in my link prints a sticker as well as the actual postage. The advantage of this type is that you can have hundreds of images and can change them for every stamp. Other options like stamps.com and the other PB link I posted are sheets of stamps with the postage combined.
Are you saying the barcode reader has a way of canceling the stamp without ruining the image for the person on the receiving end, like with big black stripes through it. I assummed, that they would have to be hand canceled with the big red round date stamp.
As I recall, if you use any of these pre-printed stamps that are essentially metered, they are pre-canceled so your image doesn't get covered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts