Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm happy to find that my photos of a memorable---maybe the most memorable---AROO Old Spider Tour are on the cover, and page 3 and 4 of the December 2007 Alfa Owner. Page 4 is my car, matter of fact. But through the whole magazine, there are no photo credits.

It doesn't matter in any important way, but I think that's tacky and does little to encourage members to spend time digging out images for them. Too bad.

Joe C

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Ditto

Joe -
I received my Owner today and immediately recognized the photos - event and photographer. I also looked for the credits and was surprised not to see mention. I think there may have been an oversight somewhere. Great photos! And thanks for sharing!

ps - Did you find the photo of your Spider at 124 mph on another thread? Remember that ride?:D What a hoot!
Old Spiders are so much fun, even if they can't do 135 mph like some certain newer ones can!;);)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me? 124 mph? Zounds!

Did you find the photo of your Spider at 124 mph on another thread? Remember that ride? What a hoot!
Old Spiders are so much fun, even if they can't do 135 mph like some certain newer ones can!

Hi Gordy, good to hear from you. No, I haven't seen that picture although I certainly remember it. That was way back in the days of film. ...I shutter to think of it...:rolleyes:

Where is it?
JC (not the famous one)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
So I'm happy to find that my photos of a memorable---maybe the most memorable---AROO Old Spider Tour are on the cover, and page 3 and 4 of the December 2007 Alfa Owner. Page 4 is my car, matter of fact. But through the whole magazine, there are no photo credits.

It doesn't matter in any important way, but I think that's tacky and does little to encourage members to spend time digging out images for them. Too bad.

Joe C
I think it is very important to let them know how you feel, especially since the people who put the magazine together don't post on this BB. I share your view, and I've always said that a club is determined by what its members make of it, and if we participate, it will be an active club. This takes the wind out of anyone's sails, but they may never realize this, unless you say so...

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Rerun....

For your viewing pleasure....(Aren't memories great!!) I'd recognize that left thumb anywhere:D

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I deny taking that picture

wretched excess (mostly of speedo error, I'm afraid)...with my Canon D70 & 17mm lens in the desert beyond Maupin, and Karl Maxon somewhere behind. Mrs. Maxon apparently prevailed upon him to desist.

Thanks, Gordy. I wouldn't'a known.

JC

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can feel it. I can feel it, Dave...

Time to fix the Berlina. I've been pissed and worn out by its litany of one thing after another, but it has a wonderful transmission, the leather Miata seats that were in that 124 mph run, and a differential that does not howl like a baritone wolf kicked in the privates.

And it has the motor from Mortimer, and a Merrit Cardin tranny, both delightful.

Now to figure out why it blows a head gasket with every other tank of gas, replace the oil pump and heater core. Also the wiper motor.

They do keep one busy, until they're right.

JC

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
'member this OST?

The 164Q on 97, just north of Grass Valley. Who-eeee:D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I think it is very important to let them know how you feel, especially since the people who put the magazine together don't post on this BB. I share your view, and I've always said that a club is determined by what its members make of it, and if we participate, it will be an active club. This takes the wind out of anyone's sails, but they may never realize this, unless you say so...

Best regards,
Enrique,

I concur. However, imo, the Board of Directors should also be notified since they are responsible for letting the publisher contract and the publisher answers to them ultimately.

I met the publisher in Detroit, he seemed nice enough, and let's hope this is an oversight on his part. Any publisher "knows" that they must give credit on photos and stories where applicable or it's a copyright violation and they are subject to suit. Not only are they open to suit but no one will want to give them photos or stories to use without due credit, me included. I have a very strong ethic in this area since Pat made his living based on his intellectual property and photos etc. as well as having to prove to the publisher that they were our pictures and free from copyright infringement.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts

Joe C
I'll apologize on behalf of the BoD.

I do remember a short thread amongst the BoD a couple of months ago discussing this, I didn't follow it closely because I think one of the BoD who's more local was chasing it down, but I do know they were trying to hunt you down and get permission for the pic. Kind of strange that there was no credit given.

I will look into this and get back to you, in the mean time, apologies on behalf of the BoD.

bs

·
Registered
4,631 Posts

I do remember a short thread amongst the BoD a couple of months ago discussing this, I didn't follow it closely because I think one of the BoD who's more local was chasing it down, but I do know they were trying to hunt you down and get permission for the pic. Kind of strange that there was no credit given.

I will look into this and get back to you, in the mean time, apologies on behalf of the BoD.

bs
Brian,

Thank you for your response and acknowledgment; further that you will look into the omission and how it occurred. In the case you describe, it would have been appropriate for the publisher to do one of two things:

1. Hold the story and pictures until proper credit could be verified
  2. Run the story with a disclaimer that indicates either that the source is unknown or that the publisher is actively trying to track down the source
My preference, from a legal standpoint would have been to withhold the story and pictures until it could be sorted out. However, the disclaimer would have allowed the responsible party or owner of the photograph to make himself known to the publisher and would have eliminated this thread, public criticism associated therewith, any hard feelings, not so much by those that have acknowledged that they recognize the problem; but, by others who have read the thread, did not respond, and have already made their mind up about how AROC and the publisher operate based on the thread. In other words, business as usual, which may not be totally true in this case. Appearance or lack of it is very important when people think they are not being treated fairly or being taken advantage of.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's all OK

Folks, I wish every government in this country were as honest, responsible and decent as the AROC folks have proven today.

At work, I received apologies, assurances, and general consideration that tell me our little world will be better for all this.

Thanks to everyone, and watch for more pictures. I look forward to it.

Peace,
Joe

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts

bs
Hey all,

I believe that at least one member of the BoD has been in touch with Joe directly, as well as the publisher, and I'm pretty sure Joe is 'good' with their response, but I did promise to look into things and report back, so here it is.

I think what we have here is a "failure to communicate". Not sure where the picture originally came from, but folks on the BoD knew it was Joe's, and made an effort to touch base and get official permission to use it. They reported back that they were unable to contact Joe, and others of us on the BoD who may have been able to find Joe via here, or the Alfa Digest, failed to pick up on that.

At any rate, somehow the picture made it to the publisher without the contact information. I believe that the impression was that due to the nature of submission, one of those standard "you've granted us the right to use this" things was understood to be applicable. (Note: This may or may not have been correct, but it was the understanding).

Anyhow, even with only implied, not formal, permission, proper credit certainly should have been given.

Humans make mistakes, and myself, the rest of the BoD, and the publisher are sorry this one happened on our watch.

So again, my apologies. I hope we continue to get such excellent submissions, and we'll do our best to make sure credit doesn't get lost again.

Sincerely,

bs

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I hope AROO folks know that my implied permission to use photos I gave on CD to the Bits also applies to any use by the Owner, not that the quality warrants any concern about that, since I'm not close to Joe's ability in that respect!

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
I hope AROO folks know that my implied permission to use photos I gave on CD to the Bits also applies to any use by the Owner, not that the quality warrants any concern about that, since I'm not close to Joe's ability in that respect!
I think it's that implied permission that may have contributed to some of the confusion around Joes pictures. :eek:

Anyhow, I hope some of your photos bubble up to the Owner! If not, please submit them directly!

Thanks,

bs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts