Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call yesterday from Diane at Alfa Only in A****er Village, telling me they'd closed the shop as of the end of March. Really should have seen that coming; when I was by there a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to get some feedback on the 164's gas-guzzling problem. Bill was polite, but said they were doing nothing but clearing out long-standing projects at the moment, and was noncommittal about when they might be able to help me.

I know there are some other shops in the LA area, but none as convenient as this one (a scant 11 miles from my driveway in Pasadena) nor anywhere near as cheap (still around $60/hour!). This seriously compromises our continuing Alfa ownership. When we were getting ready to move here from Tennessee I posted a query on the Alfa Digest, asking for shop recs, and got eleven in all. Three were for Omega, one for a shop somewhere in the SF Valley, and seven for Alfa Only. Right now I'm feeling about as bereft as one can be without anyone's actually dying...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Don't feel bad. Go see Benny at John's ALFA Romance. He's in at LA, at the corner of Pico and Hauser (323)933-2707. He'll take care of you. Great work, and super reasonable rates. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with his $$ per hour rates. Only place I trust and want to take my ALFA. Been stuck a few blocks from other ALFA shops in the Valley and still had my car towed over the hill to his shop. You got options out here and they're still close to Pasadena!

·
Registered
627 Posts
In my haste to try and cheer you up, letting you know you still have great shops close to you, I forgot to say and must add that it does suck that there is now one less place to take an ALFA.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Alfa Italia
1700 North San Fernando Boulevard
Burbank, CA 91504-3657
(818) 841-6959

I use to go them when I owned my Alfa and my father use to take his Fiat to them years ago too. Onofrio and Vittorio are the two brothers that run the place and they have specialized in ALL Italian cars since the 1970s. Plus, it's in the SF Valley and literally only a few minutes away from Alfa Only if you hop on the 5 North.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a handy location, all right. My Boss Lady, Tina at Autobooks, just mentioned that place too. And since I've been thinking about Fiats a bit lately... Thank you!

·
Registered
627 Posts
LOL just drove past Autobooks and ALFA Italia about an hour ago. I go there when I want to get an alignment done. Its cool that you have some very local places to go. If you're at Autobooks, they're about 10 minutes away taking surface streets.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More to the point from MY biased perspective is they're just up the street from Harry's, one of my favorite diners... though not as close as Google Maps says.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yup, drove right past them too. Never stopped in there, always see them and think that they were a Denny's at some point time. What's really cool is they're walking distance from ALFA Italia and you could even stop in Chucky Cheese and play a few video games if you want.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sad to hear about Alfa Only. I visited them a lot 20 years ago and they were my source when I restored my '71 GTV back then. I wish Bill, et al, the best.
:(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think he has a clear idea yet of what he wants to do, but I don't see him going to work for anyone else. He's in his mid-60s and had a really close call healthwise a couple of years ago. Paul, his chief mechanic, has been doing most of the work and will I'm sure find a job somewhere. I got to talk to Bill briefly, and asked him if he had no buyers; he said he didn't know exactly what was coming up, but he'd stay in touch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts