Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first dry race of the day after a wet morning... so the gird positions was a little odd but reflective of the results from the morning.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks RJ.

With me in the car (80kg) plus 20 lts of fuel it is corner weighted as:

FL: 337 FR: 348
LR: 230 RR: 230

Total 1145 kg. So a tad on the heavy side for a race Alfa.

Engine still needs to go to the dyno, but we only finished doing the those cam and clearance changes you suggested a day before this meeting (it took a while) So the engine now has a flat spot mid throttle and feels a little "off". Plus for some reason the when I reach the 8200rpm limit it's got a severe "hard" cut which is a little upsetting So I'll have a look at see what else I may have changed inadvertently.

But other than that the car went great with this shake down event. I hope to get to the dyno in a next week or so (work and time permitting) so I'll email you those results.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
This is an awesome vid! Engine sounds fantastic!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi GK.

This engine the 2.6 which just has a cam re-rind. This engine is in the car at the moment as I have an endurance event coming up and don't want to risk my 3lt engine.

I have the C&B cams in my 3lt engine, but may look to change these to a more lower rpm torque cam. Just waiting on some development work on another engine someone is doing to to see how the new profile they plan to run shapes on up on dyno. Nothing like a tried and true process rather than an expensive guess :)

I also have some future issues with having to get the car/engine to fit into the classic race regulations, which means I may have to revert to the original throttle bodies (or a factory upgrade.. e.g. sliding throttles) and ditch the ECU. Right now I have a dispensation to use the ecu as the car is an odd ball and the race organisers are just happy to see it.

·
Richard Jemison
7,769 Posts
"hard Cut"

So the engine now has a flat spot mid throttle and feels a little "off". Plus for some reason the when I reach the 8200rpm limit it's got a severe "hard" cut which is a little upsetting So I'll have a look at see what else I may have changed inadvertently.
Is that a failure in the rev-limiter or some ignition or FI issue.
Whats the port diameter and TB size.
You are not running any type of required "SIR" are you?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run a 40mm trumpet (60mm length) with a tapered adapter down to the trumpet TB Size of 38.1mm which was the biggest I could bore the standard ones out to and it then matched some off-the-shelf butterflys. I'll double check my records on the port size (valves are still standard on this engine) which from memory were just matched to the TB's and polished.

The hard cut issue has been solved.... I checked the ECU settings and I'd set the spark cut to "hard cut" rather than the normal soft... When I uploaded the ECU map for the 2.6 engine I altered a few options.. and made this basic mistake. At least I know the cause now... it was the idiot on the end of the finger.

What do you mean by "SIR"?

I plan to race in the near future in the Historic Muscle Cars (HMC) series Historic Muscle Cars as they are bringing out a new "pre 78 under 3lt" class

HMC is an off shoot of the more open class group of CMC - CMC which run everything from NASCAR engines to V8 Supercar suspension.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last weekend racing at the 2015 Gulf Oil Howden Ganley Formula 5000 Festival at Hampton Downs. I did what I could to keep a 944 Turbo at bay... but ran wide on turn 5 which allowed him to gain enough to get past down the front straight. As it turned out I had cracked and bent the top rear axle locator bars "trunion replacement" which I could feel and hear wasn't 100%, on the last lap and so was lucky to even finish the race.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still missing the front spoiler and some chrome trim... Will try and get this fitted before the next event as it looks at tad unfinished.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Nice driving and wonderful sound of that engine! Surely its due to the Electronic engine management!
I suppose the 3L engine will make it possible to press on harder against the opposition!

How are you satisifed with the brakes? Possible to improve or are they regulated to standard size for this class?

GK.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Gabor.

Yes putting the 3lt engine in will be a dramatic change. Just need to finish the final development of it and get it back in the car... The 2.6 engine has about 10 meetings,on it, so probably needs a freshen up as well.

The brakes are fairly good.. just more the driver not being committed enough. Some excuse could be I did have a soft pedal as I ran out of time to bleed it before the race. Hence you'll notice the initial pump to bring up the pedal for nearly every corner.

I have Montreal standard calipers on the rear with 2 piece rotors. The fronts are 320mm discs with Porsche 911 RSR calipers... so a tight fit under the 15" wheels.

I really need to do something about the brake squeal... I never noticed it much until I started using the go-pro and watching the playback.

·
Registered
506 Posts
great videos and driving...cool car and phenomenal sound. As you said the car is a little weighty for an alfa racer, but much less than a comparable class race ferrari daytona which raced at the same time. I would try and find a way to lighten the front (ali or carbon bonnet or wings and ali suspension?) and at the same time increase weight at the rear so that you have a better front rear weight distribution for more neutral handling.

Regarding developing cams with better low rpm torque characteristics I see on this thread Richard Jemison...he has developed cams like that for the nord twin cam and has a montreal engine in his spider gtr....maybe he has some cams that suit.

However great work...I am intrigued to read more in future on the car....good luck

·
Richard Jemison
7,769 Posts
Brakes

Phillip, there`s a good simple solution for both brake squeal but more importantly to reduce heat transfer into the brake piston/fluid.

Cut some stainless sheet metal (.040 thick) to the same shape as the brake pads, including the retaining holes. Stainless has a lower conductivity rate between surfaces and will remarkedly reduce brake over heating / fluid boil.

And: by inserting more than a single pad shaped plate of stainless between the pad and piston, the piston will be deeper in it`s bore and more stable, and you can add them as pads wear.

I remove the spring rattle clip retainers that rest on the pads.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A wets day racing - steering wheel optional

A damp track may have contributed to the spin... but no excuse for not clicking in the steering wheel properly. I still won the race :smile2:

Reactions: sbadaro

·
Registered
737 Posts
That was hilarious! Glad you recovered from it.

After 5 years of never disconnecting my quick-disconnect wheel (open car), and seeing more than one video like this of a wheel coming off the stem mid-race, I decided to delete my quick-release and instead just hard-mount the wheel.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great start to the days racing

I won easily the first 2 scratch races, and the 3rd race was reverse grid start with a 43 seconds penalty. This video picks up after lap 2 when I’d caught up to the majority of the pack. Managed to squeeze past the Volvo after sizing him up for a lap or so.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Race 4 wasn’t so great….

Take 8400rpm and have rod (I presume) make an exit from the crank...

This time the field was given a lap head start and I started from pit lap and released when they crossed the start/finished line. I was pushing hard to as only had 10 laps to reel them in, but lap 2 at 8400rpm the engine decided it has had enough abuse and I now have a block with some additional breather holes.

I thought I’d blown the clutch or gearbox, but a few seconds after seeing zero oil pressure was the realisation it was something much more expensive and I promptly shut the engine down… the small fire from under the car the result of a hot oil coming from the new breather onto the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts