Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in college and I am currently a junior fastly approaching my senior year.I have an extra 3000 to spend on a car and I want to buy an alfa Romeo but I need to know is this a reliable car. I know that maintence has to be kept up to date with this car because my father owned two... But opinions???

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
remember you are buying a car that has not been in the states since 1995 which makes it at least a 16 year old car.

any 16 year old car will require constant maintenance / money.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Wait until after you get out of school. I sold my Alfetta sedan my Sr. year and while I wish I hadn't, I did need to get free of the maintenance and hold my grades up. I'm way far and gone away from school now, and now I have plenty of Alfas. Plenty. Just ask my wife. Besides, in two years, we'll get new ones here.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
You will not get anything close to reliable for $3k. Alfas that have been regularly maintained are reliable, but also rare. A $3k car will cost you several times over your initial investment, and you will still be struggling to bring the vehicle up to spec.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
At $3k, you can probably get a mostly intact car. But the last Milanos were the 1989's for the USA market.

It's now 2011, which makes even the youngest ones 22 years old.

That's almost a quarter century.

Don't get me wrong, I love those things but paragons of reliability (by today's standards) they aren't.

Disclaimer: I bought my first Milano in 1989 ... with ALL the savings I had ... and it was the best decision for me at that time. However, they were brand new so I had a few good years with 'um!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for the replys if not the alfa I'm leaning toward getting a e30 but I hear there junk as well.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,026 Posts
Ok thanks for the replys if not the alfa I'm leaning toward getting a e30 but I hear there junk as well.
Well the parts cost will kill you, at least.

I'd suggest an older Acura Integra (or an RSX if they've gotten cheap enough by now). Reliable, sport-ish, and can carry stuff in the back. Save the Alfa for when you can afford the (considerable) upkeep.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Get an Infiniti P10 (1991-1997) G20t aka Nissan Primera GT. They're pretty darn cheap and a solid car to boot.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
You missed the point. Alfa's are not junk. You are looking to buy a 20 yearish old car for 3k. Reread the posts above.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
You guys are killin' me !!
Bought a Milano for $700 and put 10K miles on it with minimal upkeep cost.
At $3 grand, you can get a well sorted daily driver.
And from all I've heard of 80's Beemer and *** cars, Alfas are LESS expensive to
drive and maintain.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
And a HECK of a lot more Fun !!

And seriously, MUCH Cooler!!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,026 Posts
You guys are killin' me !!
Bought a Milano for $700 and put 10K miles on it with minimal upkeep cost.
At $3 grand, you can get a well sorted daily driver.
And from all I've heard of 80's Beemer and *** cars, Alfas are LESS expensive to
drive and maintain.
Listen, I love Alfas, but the Acuras ("gussied up Hondas") I've owned have been in a completely different class in terms of build quality and reliability. Two Integras and virtually NOTHING major went wrong. 90K timing belt intervals, too.

The V6 Alfas are complex. I wouldn't wish one on a college kid with limited funds. Plus 30K timing belt intervals, 5 years or so on driveshaft donuts, potential head gasket issues, more limited parts availability, and 20-25 year old bits to replace all over. A ten year old Japanese car is a much smarter choice for someone in the original poster's position.

Now that I've got the time, money, and skills to keep it running, I wouldn't trade my Milano for anything. But man, if I'd had this car when I was 23 I would've been majorly f-ed!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Well, Tom, I' diven over 600K in Alfa V6's, and I think if a young,, or old,, enthusiast takes the time to learn the basics of maintenance of the Alfa V6, they can drive and maintain them for less than any car, let alone a seriously boring Acura.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,026 Posts
Agreed that they're less boring than Acuras. But you're misguiding people if you say V6 Alfas can be maintained cheaper than other cars. Hell, parts prices alone on some of these jobs...sigh. And a newer Japanese econobox is going to break less frequently than a 20+ year old Alfa, I guarantee it.

Cheapest starter Alfa is probably a good S3 Spider. Fun, lots to pick from, mechanically simpler, no t-belt, decent parts selection, fewer bits to go wrong. But even that's going to cost you more to run than a nice used Miata. If I only had $3K and was worried about running and repair costs, I'd buy the Miata.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I think the point here is the poster is going into his last bit of college and after that the sky's the limit. Lets get you into a nice Japanese econosnore for a couple of years (yawn) and come out the back side of that with a bit more time and a bit more money and swap that Mediocrity SL for something you can love and drive hard yet not depend on it as if every funny sound it makes leads to ketchup soup for dinner and loss of a letter grade.

Don't ask me how I know. I think you may have already guessed it. And besides, I or someone in my family, drove that Econosnore Medocrity SL for 22 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts