1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to relocate the battery to the trunk
what do i need to do the job?
how do i do the job?
whats the best place in the trunk to put the battery?
what gage wire do i use?

·
Registered
659 Posts
My first recommendation would be to purchase a AGM (sealed) battery. It means you won't have any issue with battery acid, venting and they're generally a lot smaller.

A battery box is good just to cover it up, and a requirement if it's still a lead acid battery.

4ga wire would happily suffice. I use that and don't have any issues with voltage drop, and can crank it over faster than my fathers 2005 Ford Courier ute. That's complete with the ground in the trunk on part of the chassis behind the carpet. You'll also need a run of 4ga (equal to whatever size power wire you use)for the ground, some battery terminals to fit the wire you use, and a terminal to connect into the junction box in the engine bay. I've got a kill switch in the engine bay as well so I don't have to crawl into the boot to disconnect the battery if needed.

Position...I've got mine in the back passenger side corner (drivers side for those with left hand drive). If you remove the spare tyre, putting it in the well would be good to keep weight down low, and out of sight.

How to do it - You'll need to run your power wire from the engine bay to the trunk. I have it running through the passenger side firewall (driver for you) as I could never find an existing grommit big enough to fit 4ga. It then runs under the carpet along the side, up the rear seat wall and into the trunk. You'll need to remove the rear seats, and may find it easy to remove the passenger (driver's) seat.

I think that's all there is to tell?

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
rox pretty much covered it..i personaly dont like 4ga and opted for 2 and 3ga as its common and CHEEP if you get it in the right place (welding supply) as for the battery and box do NOT cheep out on the box and get yourself a GEL battery and NOT a lead acid or you will regret it in a hurry..personaly i love the optima batterys....on the box side of things DO NOT expect a strap to hold the box in place BOLT the battery box or battery directly to the car..seen my share of guys who think a battery strap will hold the box in place...in some cases it will hold for a long time and in other cases it will break/rip and they burn there car to the ground

HIGHLY recomend a cut off under hood or inside the car...think of it this way..if that wire gets nicked and you cant kill it fast your likely to burn the car to the ground

triple check the routing of your cable and make sure there are NO sharp edges or potential sharp edges

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
battery relocation

I cant figure out where the + cable is attached. I follow the cable from the battery and it go's back towards the fire wall then along the back of the engine down to the passenger side deep in the engine bay and from that point on i cant figure out where its going or what its attaching to:confused:

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
That is probably the power for the starter.
Jes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts