Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had several requests to start posting this here..but some of the hinting to what id been doing had stired up and ruffled enuf feathers to keep me from posting..so at the multiple requests from veric and randy...here it is in all its glory...if a mod thinks this needs to be elsewhere go for it..just let me know where it gets moved to LOL

purists yeah theres alot of cutting alot of mating of metals and its NOT for the weak hearted...this is no simple engine swap its a full on swap of engine, drivetrane and converting EVERYTHING......

the formality's out of the way..

this project started out some time back..so if the details seem to change..well i changed my mind several times on the build and do a bit of shooting from the hip...
i spotted the car while doing some resto work on a rolled 69 cuda..it was across the street and down a house or 2..i thought it was a 50's volvo wagon or something..when i got closer i realized it was TINY..really tiny smaller than a mini cooper tiny..the next day i spoke with the owner and struck a deal for the lil 1958 lloyd "kombi"..traded him an 80s mustang 5spd for it....yeah the car was rough but id always wanted something EXTREMELY unique and TINY..and this fit the bill and then some...the next day i was out with my lil 4x8 trailer..yes it fit on one of those walmart special 4x8 folding trailer(mind you mines got a chevy bed floor on it and wont fold)..hauled it home and 2 days later got it running
after some research..alot of research...i found out its 1200lbs 600cc air cool 4 stroke 25hp OHC with only splash oiling..0-60 in 1 min with a top speed of 61mph front engine FWD with dual goofy leaf spring front end rack and pinion and trailing arm rear with torsion swaybar..90% of everything on the car cant be replaced..the parts just dont exist...and me im used to 200+hp..on the lowest of things i drive even the minivan is a turbo unit(same as a daytona)..so i knew that even tho the car is rare being an "Alexander ts" there was no way in hell id EVER be happy with 25hp even if it is wrapped in 1200lbs of micro car goodness

btw the dates on the pics are correct..but ive had ALOT of downtime due to illnesses and such

if you want to get to the meat of the actual engine swap skip up to page#

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so she was home and the rust resto work started..i had no idea what direction i wanted to go

...now ima pop up and say this right now...if you dont know what way you want to go on a prokject..odds are your going to be re-doing a TON of work and throwing hours and materials away..just hope you learn from it

just that i knew the engine would HAVE to go..and id want something better for handling brakeing etc..on a side note..these lil lloyds could litteraly be taken apart and shipped in a fridge box EVERYTHING comes apart aside from the floor pan..which was pretty much a total loss as youll see...at this point tho i barely knew what an alfa was..let alone ever worked on one or drove one

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
at this point my oldschool ways started having at the body..it begged of the early 50's lead sled stylings..its got this 49 baby merc wagon look to it..and not having tail lights for it i needed something..something special.... and i stumbled across these little jems from a t-bird and knew right away they were PERFECT and started in on it between rust repairs

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there was another major problem..no turn signals, missing headlight parts missing headlight ring..the list of missing parts kept getting longer so the creativity started getting wider and wider....i knew 1 thing from the start..the engine would NOT be a v8 of any kind PERIOD

one night it hit me..what about rear engine rwd with a turbo motor from a dodge k-car..i found a turbo minivan for 150$ and drove it home and started to re-hash the whole inside of the car and even test positioned a 5spd trans...but the front end..what to do?..leave it stock for now maybe but what about braking..i just moved on with ideas but the idea of gas milage of the 2cyl and the the power from the turbo when i wanted it..was intriguing if i used the whole minivan subframe out back id have big discs back there

between floor and rott work and rust proofing i worked thru the tail light configureations and settled on one that jumped out at me

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the front fenders posed there trouble but i moved on..however the rear door i had an idea..what about a power window..the same way they did it on some of the 50's fords and just brought back as a "new" feture on trucks acting like its a new idea or something lol..so i sliced diced and squared the rear window a bit and sliced channels from a dodge a-108 van door i had laying around..inserted them and wala a slideing window set
here youll find the step by step of how i did the taillight frenching..its just exhaust tubing

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the continued tailight french...
the fenders spoke to me while out scavanging for a gamer bus i was building(this is actualy very important cause that project brought me my gtv6 and later...the milano)..a red jag screamed at me from the wrecker..the PERFECT 50's eyebrow headlights..i just needed to french them..mind you these are the smaller round headlights instead of the big ones so it helps balance out the face of the car better....

jag lovers turn your heads cause this will get painfull..the hood, grill, headlights, rings 45$..the look...priceless

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
more cleanup rust fixing and some shaving
finaly a test fit swap of the turbo motor..seemed promising....a peice of plexi cut in the back door proved to slide perfectly and provide as a template later for glass

now the funky tail light idea..i took to a whole new world...i figured if im going to rust proof the car to hell and back i want the car to pretty much be as indestructible as possible..so ALL lighting would be LED..the idea of a chasing LED tailight came to mind..i played with many ideas and settled in on EXACTLY what i wanted but hit a HUGE block when everyone told me you couldnt drive more than 5? led's in a chasing pattern so i tryed a nail board....

i fiddled with a dash re-design that started to work.....yeah im 6'4

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
about this time id been given the gtv6 to fix and not knowing anything about alfa's turned up on this sight seeking a lil help...i didnt need much and had the thing up and fixed in a day..the previous owner had started an engine swap with a newwer 2.5....i instantly fell in love and knew i wanted something that handled GOOD

the problem i started running into with the 2.5 mopar turbo motor for this lloyd was id never feel safe with the front end...after months of searching for a front end i found out the narrowest i could get a descent front end would be a mustang2 unit but almost 5k for one narrowed up to my size was hurting..and no way i could justify it on a car i had almost no money into...i stumbled onto a 78? alfetta on ebay..no transaxle or rear suspension.....i got it for...99cents..it was ROUGH but i wanted only the front end i figured use its front suspension..i got it and worked with it but knew id have to widen the lloyd...3 weeks later...i got a call from the gtv6 owner that his friend has his milano up for sale for several months..couldnt sell it and it was going to the wrecker if someone didnt take it home....i would have had to be a fool to not go and grab it so i did..but i also had the yearly micro car show comming..i got it home and then headed for the show a week or so later..

take note of that door patch...its a peice of garage door track....sometimes patch peices present themselves in strange places

before the show..i knew what was in my head..and i got a very "small" set of tires for the milano..300$ totaling 400 into the car at this point..i knew exactly what i was thinking and tossed the tires under the body on the trailer..and drooled at the thought...

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and here..here is where the REAL alfa swap begins.....you milano owners will be screaming..but..remember this..the car was forsale for almost 6 months and had dropped all the way to 300$..NO ONE wanted it..i saved it from the crusher so to speak..and ALOT of parts went to many many locations on this board
yes..its a platinum..the tires..there small cause of my SMALL wheelwells i needed a 22inch tall tire nothing taller would ever work

some random shots of the milano after the show..pretty car with no real rust..ran and drove great aside from a MAJOR oil leak that i later found to simply be a busted oil pressure sender

around this time i was given the gtv6 for work id done..it had massive braking issues and a few other issues but god i love the car

so i offloaded the lloyd off the trailer and onto my rolling stock..an old engine puller base..good fit and easy to move

the milano got her new shoes and drove into my shop..her final resting place as a milano.....where she got jigged up...i got the jig idea from a random flipping thru the channels late one night on how they make hurses profesionaly..they roll em up onto a 100% level brace, weld to the jig and weld on some rollers to move the back section...i used the idea for my plans..

i was EXTREAMLY critical on how this was all jiged up..i was NOT about to make a single mistake even if i had no idea what i was doing i was running on instinct..and ive had countless body shop owners ask me how many years ive been in the profession..its just something i am natural at

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ok boys..this is where it gets GRAPHIC...these milano shots are going to hurt..but hey..guys have done worse in the sake of building race cars..and some of these parts that were cut..saved rotted out cars.....and ive still got some peices that i couldnt move..sadly

the real issue with this..or the first issue is how do you jig it re-enforce it and still take 28inches out to fit the short wheel base of the lloyd....how..you get creative and take your TIME!!!

you measure and level everything..do a little measure and level and really check everything a million times as if it wasnt even yours as if a mistake would cost you your job.....ill admit i made it look fast and simple but i took weeks of planning to start doing it...

as a bonus along the way i noted a milano 2dr would be one SEXY ride as well as a drop top....that little rust pic..that was all the rust she had....

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TONS more braceing..note the fuel tank..half full......i didnt dare remove it for any of this cause i wanted to retain the weight on the suspension till it was braced..in fact for every bit of weight i took off the rear which was the slider portion as the front was fully weled to the jig at full weight even after the weight was cut from it(it actualy jumped up 2 inches when i cut it from the jig) i actualy was stacking on small block engine heads on the rear of the car to keep as much weight as i could prior to the slide back together and weldup

now fuel tanks are intresting...that night i drained the tank...broke out the plasma cutter..and started hacking off more of the rear that i didnt need..forgetting the PLASTIC catch pan under the car that was over half full..STUPID plastic oil change pans..bloody nuts...i smelled something and caught it in time to have flames roaring under the car dive in sink my hands into the soft plastic sset the pan outside the shop and the pan collapsed fule everywhere..grabbed some steel plates tossed em on the fire and turned to the car which was burning fuel line rubber and underbody coating and doesed it with water and compressed air

i did some prelim mockups..i knew i was going to run into issues..i expected them i just didnt know what...turned out i needed to widen the body 8 inches....i knew the only way was a widebody of sorts..but how..minicooper style or 80s scca style or a slice and dice down the middle...and then there was the wheel wells..no brainer do a chennel and section job..again never done it before but did it like an old pro

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
durring all this chopping and fitting i kept removing more and more milano..right down all the way to the fram rails..90% of the floor went as you will seeand i tied the rails together so tight..the bare chassis was so stiff and solid it actual LOST deflection..the original car before jigging had almost 2 inches of deflection from end to end..with the body gone down to my stiff bones of a chassis it had 1/8th inch end to end..thats about as solid as a full caged race car...i had to dial the front bars WAY down and i belive i took 3 coils out of the rear
theres some shots of the fire's work in there as well as the initial thinking of the "widebody" as well as i found a MAJOR issue with moving the wheelwells up.....i needed to relocate the stock trim..all aluminum and a thing of beauty so the wheelwells got a 3inch section and the trim went up 2 inches

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
during my time on the site..i took in as much milano info as i could..regarding weak point brace points and such..which resulted in me pretty much going thru every problem point in the chassis and re-engineering it..many spots i KNOW are overkill..some are done due to the body change some are for maximizing space..some are plane and simply me "over doing it"..but lets face it..its better to over do it than under do it.....
the stock frame rails bugged me in many spots and i knew there potential weakness areas so i went thru and attacked...now someones going to SCREAM about what i did around the transaxle....now see i saw the stock stuff and i cant belive you guys actualy live with it..theres not much there..my problem was its sooooo thin and it doesnt transfer out to the sides very well..i wanted somthing BEEFY..also i needed to lose as much of the bulk around the transaxle as i could for seats..remember i am 6'4 and this is a 8footish wheelbase..the other spot was where i needed to join the front and rear rails..as i saw this as 10x more critical than you guys do with your frame rail connectors..take special note..i did NOT lift the car or move the transaxle or rear suspension at all..i braced it into place and pulled the bolts cut it all out and put in the new heavy steel so it stayed 100% true to its original positioning
i kept in mind alot of how a factory team racer would have beefed things up as well...as for my mini lower cage work..i felt it best to brace key areas in specific ways..also i had fully intended to full cage the car..tho i may or may not still i dont know
i also started to re-construct how i needed the floor..after cutting it out and sending to someone on the east coast to save his car

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
so at this point i started making my floor up to patch it all in around the rails and such..a cheep harbor frieght brake did the job failry well
the wide body setup was firmly planted into my mind of EXACTLY how it had to be done and look right ..course with this brought the doors...the doors had to undergo extensive bracing and re-thinking of where the hinges had to go..but again..thought it out asked one of my old school guru body guys and he simply said.."are you asking me or telling me because it sounds like youve done it before".....which told me i knew what i was doing....4inches was going to be added to each side of the body to bring it out tastefully

make a note on how little of the milano is really under there even the floor..yet it still retains so much milano shape

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
full tilt wide body work...it amazed me how easy it really was..atleast in my hands..and the look just adds to that lead sled look with a major agression added to it..the front fenders had to wait cause i was at a huge loss..the rear fenders were done up to stay in the old design of being able to be un bolted even

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
onto the other door and hinge work..easier being id allready done the other side and picked myself up a few tricks from the previous one..also a comparison of the wide body door vs normal door....now mind you these body mods were scaring the living hell out of me..cause if i messed up any panel..it was a slim chance in hell i could replace it..try and find 58 lloyd parts....good bloody luck

more floor pan work as well as the wide body making a full presence ahh the beauty...the nose is starting to present itself how it needs to sit as well

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah subtle i pretty much got rrailroaded on some of the minor posting i had done..this one..assuming it doesnt get yanked tonight..ill get it fully up to date tommarow....ive actualy driven the beast last year..on the trailer off the trailer into the show field and back onto the trailer...its one hell of an attention getter and someone actualy knew the milano prior to my fetting it and gave me a run down of its heritage..i just wish i could remember it..just that it was given to someone who was a factory racer...made me cringe when i found that out..made me feel really bad for cutting it..but..i remind myself that NO ONE wanted the car

·
Registered
390 Posts
amazing poject!
very cool stuff..

1 - 20 of 478 Posts