Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

Below is a link to a some pics of my Alfa powered hotrod.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/bcalv/myrod/myrod

I know this is not the first hotrod to use an Alfa engine but I believe that I am the first to have used the whole running gear.

The car is very quick and a delight to drive and guess what?
No Rust!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Now that is too awesome! Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. It'd be nice if someone would do that with a 24 valve V6. What do people at hot rod shows say when you pop the hood? How does it corner? Like an Alfa?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wonderfull!!

Great JOB!!!

so what sorta performance do you get out that..."Alfa"??

Paul

·
Registered
333 Posts
We had a new member from Huntington Beach show up at our monthly meeting Fri. and it seems he is nearly finished on an all Alfa Hot Rod. Will try and get the details and post.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Way to go Brett!! Just beautiful!

I'm helping a friend build a '48 Plymouth hotrod that was also going to have a 2l Alfa engine. But he went with a Desoto hemi instead.:( But it will have an Alfa steering column, switchgear and series 1 GTV Carello tail lights.
I hope it turns out looking half as good as yours!

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Very cool. Does it jam? It probably sound's awesome!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the nice comments fellas.

Weighing in at just 850kg the 2 litre hauls it along quite nicely but I must admit that if I were to do it again I'd use the V6 instead. Sound nicer I reckon.

I wouldn't know how it compares with its donor vehicle because in truth I've never driven one.
However, because it is relatively light and having the motor well back from the front axle and the gearbox in the rear gives the car a very low moment of polar inertia. That's gobbledygook for, "it turns very quickly." Bit like an open wheel racecar. Trade off though is that it is very sensitive at high speed, especially in a crosswind.
Never mind…..can't have everything!

I've had a few negative comments from some rodders but they tend to be those knuckle dragging types who have never built a car in their lives. I'm glad to say though that I've had an overwhelmingly positive response from most others and they appreciate seeing something that's different. A number have joked that if I were to grind the Alfa name off the cam cover they would feel better about it coz they could then kid themselves that it's an Offy. There's a few here in Oz who would like to do something similar and I've heard of at least one other in the UK and obviously there are more. Maybe this is the start of a new rodding trend, but somehow I doubt it.

I couldn't begin to imagine what a 2 litre powered Plymouth would go like. Probably wouldn't get outa third gear. These things weigh tons. Believe me he made the right choice with the Mopar. At least it has the right combustion chamber design but pity about the location of the camshaft though. What about a Monty V8 instead. Now that would be nice. I'd love to put one of those in an open bonneted rod.:cool:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hotrod Madness

Very Cool!! Awesome!! Wounderful! Love the hole thing. I also would love to know how she feels. Love the little fenders too!
Thanks for the photos
Please keep sharing. what do you guess it ways?
Enjoy
Peter

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
bcal said:

I couldn't begin to imagine what a 2 litre powered Plymouth would go like. Probably wouldn't get outa third gear. These things weigh tons. Believe me he made the right choice with the Mopar. At least it has the right combustion chamber design but pity about the location of the camshaft though. What about a Monty V8 instead. Now that would be nice. I'd love to put one of those in an open bonneted rod.:cool:
Even though the Alfa 2l we were going to use has about 60HP more than the stock 6 cyl Plymouth, we decided not to use it for the same reason. We actually did kick around using a Monty V8 (briefly) but the Desoto just happened be on the shelf....:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx for the pic papajam. Looks great.
Even though the Alfa 2l we were going to use has about 60HP more than the stock 6 cyl Plymouth, we decided not to use it for the same reason.
Those old sixes produced loadsa torque which is what ya need with such a heavy car.
the Desoto just happened be on the shelf....
Man I wish I had one of these just lying on the shelf!!!!!!
They're a hot ticket item with us hotrodders at the moment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts