Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for the group...
I have been thinking about making a copper/O ringed head gasket for my spider. Has anyone done something similar to this?
The possible heat transfer gain seems to be reason enough to try this - and it seems to me that this ground may have been covered before.
Any information or thoughts appreciated!

Cheers!
Dave G.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yes-

But only in areas where there is something to 'carry' the material, that is, an ionized solution. In most areas of the head gasket interface that is not (or at least should not) be the case. Only thin sections of the coolant passages should be subject to this effect. Al is electrolyticly reactive with ferrous metal alloys too, though to a lesser extent.
I am a bit more worried about the differential expansion rates of the liners/block/head system, not sure copper has enough spring back to last repeated temp. cycling.
A stainless/copper laminate might make more sense, with the SS areas contacting the head liner interface.

Cheers!
Dave G.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
onne of the suppliers has a sacrificial anode to prevent corrosion in the aluminum block and head. the water antifreeze mixture can go acid if not replaced once in a while. the oil can also go acidic.
cliff

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Copper head gaskets are used - and still available - for all the various alfa engines. They are used frequently in race cars where the heads are removed repeatedly (they can be reused). They also tend to be thicker than the stock head gaskets, and are so used to reduce CR that has become too high from repeated milling to straighten small warping. I've actually used two stacked together on an older racer to pull the CR down from 12.7 to about 11.

The Old CAS handbook also describes milling small groves in the ehad and the top of the cyinnder sleeves for thin wire o-rings to provide better sealing in a high compression race engine. Copper or aluminum wire was typically used.

Since they are thicker than stock, be careful to use the correct rubber (viton) o-rings on the oil galleries to seal the oil leaks.

Robert

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response

Robert, that is just the kind of information I was looking for. I have some copper sheet and thin plate that has been accumulating from several jobs that I have done recently, I have thicknesses of .02 to .09" and several sizes in between. This is the electricaly pure or 'low Ox' 99.9% pure copper and I have no problem making the gaskets or machining the head & sleeves as I have access to CNC equipment.
Do you have any areas where I could look for more information about this?
Again, thanks - this forum is a gem!!

Cheers!
Dave G.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts