Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I need your help I have a 61 1300 spider with the top attached to the body I want to change thee rear trunk hinges to the later ones
with the hook so that I can put my Farina Hardtop. My question is is the hinge exchange a direct swap do all the studs line up? Also does anyone have the two triangular plates that screw into the right and left side of the body behind the seats so that the hooks of the hardtop attach and do hole need to be drilled into the frame to attach them thanks in advance and if some has these I would be interested in buying them they are plated and triangular about the 2 in with i think
2or 3 holes to be attached and a female recept. similar to the windshield in front for the hooks THANKS AGAIN GUYS YOU ARE GREAT JOHN

·
Registered
83 Posts
I believe the later Giulia hinges with the integral hook have four studs. You should have 6 holes in the trunk/rear deck. Sorry I cannot tell you if the hinge studs line up with the some of the holes and cover the unused ones.

I have a '60 and can tell you that the small detached hooks do work with the rear deck holes made for the bolt-down top.

·
Administrator
3,805 Posts
Agree with Battlecry, you will need the early 750 style fittings with the separate hook on the rear deck for the soft top fitment.

The later 101's with the integral hook-n-hinge had a +- 3 inch slot or groove pressed into the top of the rear deck to take a casting web under the 1 piece hook-n-hinge which gave it the necessary strength on the later cars.

I'm not quite sure why you want to change it ? We have both styles, Dad has a '57 SWB & I have a '60 LWB with the fixed top. Putting the top up of down on mine is a matter of flipping the seats forward and simply pulling the top up-n-out, it clicks into place & I fasten the catches on the top of the screen& at the top of the B post - job done. Putting the separate top up on the '57 is like wrestling with a greased pig in the rain...... I can have the top up and fastened on mine before Dad has managed to get his to a point where it can be rotated out from behind the seats on the frame hinges.....

The fixed top isn't so bad, here are our two of ours, 02806 and 10990 (Hey Matt - the Giuliettas.com flag is flown in Africa !!)

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,555 Posts
I agree Greg. My '60 had the fixed, bolt on top, and it was not an issue. My '65 Ausca spider has the hooks on the hinges and a final production PF steel top with no Sn plate. You really do not want to alter the top, but if you have a mis-match, the best way to go would be a change of trunk hinges.
Great photo's!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hardtop

Thanks for your input, if i where to put the two hooks i would have drill holes into the body for the studs, that is why i wanted to change the hinges to avoid that provided the studs line up with the existing holes in the body. John

·
Registered
83 Posts
Alfajohn, the early model separate hooks have two studs and can bolt directly to the holes you already have on the rear deck to bolt down the two tabs of the convertible top rear bar. No need to drill any new holes, but you need to modify your convertible top bar to grab the hooks. (Unless your 61 top bolts down differently than my 60)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for your reply sorry for the delay, but i just found your message, does your explanation apply to my 60 1300 101 spider with the soft top attached directly to the body and has the trunk hinges without the hooks. Also do the triangular attachments attach to the inside body with predrilled holes ?

Thanks again to every one that has responded to my questions john

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes. The detached rear hooks fit in the '60 rear deck holes made for the soft top rear bar. Raise the soft top, reach out under the rear deck and unbolt the four bolts (two on each side) holding down the soft top rear bar. The triangular hooks will drop right in (in the existing holes).

The tabs in the soft top rear bar can be trimmed so they catch the hooks, or alternatively, if you can find a 61 rear bar, you can install that in your soft top. Will require unstitching/restitching.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts