Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 160 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
the dash being covered

initially had the dash covered in leatherite but it started to show a lack of shine and a few cuts and bruises ... decided to have leather instead. The pics show the leather being put on

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
car up on lift

the car is up on the lift.... has most of the fixtures fitted. Just got the interior roof lamps and the rear number plate lights

The windows have been fitted apart form the front screen which seems to have gone missing....again in the workshop shifting.

went to the Festival of speed at Goodwood......the Jerry Judah sculpture ....

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've just read through all your post's, congratulations on a wonderful job, it's fantastic to see someone restoring classic car's to this quality, good luck to you and your efforts,if you ever decide to come down under hopefully I'll pick you up in my finished GTV and we'll watch a cricket match, cheers.,,😀

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
exhaust fitted starting ....

the car had timing that was rather out.... Alfabb helped of course ... car was not developing compression although starting and throwing out fuel rapidly.

Hopefully done.
Ansa visible in the back.................

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Looking great. You mentioned ignition timing issues, do you have carbs or injection on it? Do you have a vacuum advance canister on the distributor, anf if yes where is the vacuum hose connected to (photos)?

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
Looking great. You mentioned ignition timing issues, do you have carbs or injection on it? Do you have a vacuum advance canister on the distributor, anf if yes where is the vacuum hose connected to (photos)?

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
I see injection.

BTW if you are having ignition timing issues, the first thing I would check is that the distributor is still timed correctly as it is "not unheard of" for these to jump a tooth or 2 on the cambelt. I've even fixed a 75 with this issue myself.

BTW: Looking fantastic. Really is a car bought back from the dead ... AGAIN!
Pete

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
windscreen and sunroof fitted.

the windscreen and the sunroof has been fitted. the interior is being done. leather two tone black and tan......the dash has also been fitted. looks like it has almost come together. If the workshop guys really wanted to do it... its a two day job....

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
the dash and interior...carpet

slow Oh so slow. The interior fitment proceeds. The upholsterer is taking his sweet time with the carpet and seats. Its basically a day job..but he takes days off and disappears. But has promised me this week. Until then some photos...that by the way I can't see myself. Theres something wrong with the BBS

Attachments

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
I can see you photos. She is looking good.

Just install Google Chrome, image problem solved.
Pete

·
Registered
134 Posts
It is the most incredible restoration I have ever seen. What ever the cost was there in Pakistan, I can only imagine what it would be here in California.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
the interior coming together

the interior fitting being done. its down to hope now. i wonder though whether the recaros would be better but leather of this color seems to have disappeared and so they would have to be black or cloth.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Problems with the engine running... need advice

Just to bring everyone up to speed.

3.0 litre from a 75. This was in a fire with the plastics and wiring gone. All the 2.5 litre stuff... including wiring and the ecu / injectors were transferred over. Have both the ecus UK/ Euro and the engine has been checked and redone with the head off and new gaskets and pumps etc..... water and oil....the water passages were checked and new sleeves and rings . Bosch fuel pump as used in the various period Mercs like the 126s

Head work did not need to be done as the valves etc were fine...had been redone on the engine before I got it.

Now for the problems. The static timing was set was out as it did not start and then reset andit started but..........
the car starts but there is black smoke and is throwing out furl like there was no tomorrow. The injectors fire but it misfires occasionally but is so rich that it probably is doing 1.5 mpg ... thats why it misfires as well looks like as there is so much fuel in the system.

Read up on the injection manuals but none seem to describe how to sort these problems. Need help with these urgently please

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
it sees daylight although fuel injection still not working

The car isn't taking any air from the afm/ or very little air from the intake. So it doesn't start unless the hose from the AAV is disconnected and air rushes in and it starts. when the aav hose is connected... no start. when the AFM is disconnected no start. when it starts it smokes like no tomorrow.... rich mixture black smoke.. So what could it be.???? In any case the car was rolled out and it is at least in the waning sunlight and taking air. Some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Post some clear pics of the engine bay so we can see how everything is hooked up. If you have any spare AFMs and AAVs, try swapping those in. Double check your connectors and vacuum hoses are correct.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The Bosh L-jet cars will run, but horribly, if the AFM is disconnected. Can't remember if it is terribly rich or not. Wonder if the issue lies there? Rag in the intake? Done that before!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
will need to go to the shop for proper photos... will post up soon

have tried the ECU swap... the original 2.5 litre for the 3.0 litre both times the same issue. Am having the AFM checked for the outputs but will need to have another one just in case as well as an AAV and a Thermotime switch and a fuel pressure regulator I suppose. sorry for the profanity but inspite of all progress its bloody two steps forward and one step back....paypal isnt accepted from Pakistan... ebay become difficult. We have to get friends to buy off ebay and then post for us. This inspite of cashless payments, electronic transfers and modern tech of all types

Hope its just a vaccum line not in position.

Posting up soon.......................

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
picture of engine bay...UK spec GTV6

Hi the pic of the engine bay ... hope you can find the issue. slightly different form the US model I think...

Have checked the auxiliary air valve ... its open but gives no signal...is it supposed to give out any? The AFM doesn't open but the fuel pump clicks when its open

Attachments

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
Yes it is most likely a dud sensor that is telling the computer to supply too much fuel.

I find these sorts of things very frustrating, even though I'm in IT. I have to take a few steps back and hit the computer or manual and find out the purpose of all sensors and get an understanding how the system works. Once my "brain" is up skilled it starts to make sense and is no more complex than an old fashioned carburetted and points engine. But if I don't do that research I end up guessing, and looking for quick fixes that end up taking considerably long, and getting annoyed with the car.

Best of luck ... one step at a time, you will find the solution :)
Pete

141 - 160 of 222 Posts