Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not affiliated in any way with this, I was scrolling through eBay and saw this car. I see its located in NJ with a clean NJ title supposedly. May I ask how? Is it actually legal? Its a 1999 model, thats only 21 years old.
Very neat find but I thought getting a less than 25 y/o import legal in the US was super complicated.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I see they are selling this car as well....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am not affiliated in any way with this, I was scrolling through eBay and saw this car. I see its located in NJ with a clean NJ title supposedly. May I ask how? Is it actually legal? Its a 1999 model, thats only 21 years old.
Very neat find but I thought getting a less than 25 y/o import legal in the US was super complicated.

I purchased a 1996 916 Spider a few years back from Canada. Importing the car was not difficult. Where I ran into problems was with getting the car smog legal in California. Apparently California is a world unto itself with smog regulations and, since the car had never been made available in the United States, California thought of it as a "gray market" car requiring certification by a state recognized facility (I think there were only two in CA at the time). Cost over $5K to get the car smogged. It would have been a perfectly legal car in the other 49 states.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow, I did not know that it was that easy. ( well for the most part).
I had done some searching on here even before seeing this Ebay auction. I figured they would still be hens teeth in our part of the world (legally) for a few more years.

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
The 96 and some early 97 had the U.S. federal emissions plate in the door jamb and a U.S. vin number.

Alfa or really Fiat had finished all the testing and got approval then pulled the plug on the U.S. market.

So all the cars that were to be imported in the U.S. got sent to Canada.

·
Push hard and live
10,334 Posts
I placed a bid on the EBay 916. It’s been outbid. While considering the merits of a competitive rebid, I went off and did some research.

Yikes.

These are now “orphaned” by Alfa/Fiat, much like our beloved 101-105-115 etc. However, there’s pretty much nothing on the earlier cars that can’t be found or fixed. Seems the 916 got some then-modern systems that haven’t held up too well, and can no longer be serviced.

These stories may be exaggerated, or resolved. Dunno. But I’m out. Beautiful car, and I’d be happy with the TS, but I don’t need an Alfa that I can’t fix.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I placed a bid on the EBay 916. It’s been outbid. While considering the merits of a competitive rebid, I went off and did some research.

Yikes.

These are now “orphaned” by Alfa/Fiat, much like our beloved 101-105-115 etc. However, there’s pretty much nothing on the earlier cars that can’t be found or fixed. Seems the 916 got some then-modern systems that haven’t held up too well, and can no longer be serviced.

These stories may be exaggerated, or resolved. Dunno. But I’m out. Beautiful car, and I’d be happy with the TS, but I don’t need an Alfa that I can’t fix.
You can still fix them, but it takes time. Many of these cars still populate European roads. You don't get the parts from places like Centerline or Classic Alfa. When you do find the parts required for a repair, you have to make sure they are the same part numbers used on that specific chassis (apparently good repair shops in England and Germany routinely check this). Since the sources of these parts, in most cases, are not used to exporting to the U.S., getting the parts also takes considerably longer. A car like the one you have been considering is a beautiful car that you will want to drive every day. I drove my 916 Spider for the better part of four years, but 1/3 of that time was spent with the car in the driveway waiting for parts. It once took me nearly three weeks to get a correct fanbelt. Spectacular car to drive. Well engineered and durable, but hard to get parts quickly for repairs.

On the good side, people will always be asking you where you got that beautiful Alfa. Bad side - you are always answering the same **** questions over and over.

·
Push hard and live
10,334 Posts
It does continue to beckon. I’ve never been accused of being reasonable or cautious.

im fully expecting the price rocket well past my interestin the final moments.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought it was a very interesting car, not one I would personally want to own at the moment due to the parts issue. Plus, I have read very little on this series of Alfa. I would not personally have any sort of scope on what the car is worth or what repairs could be in the future.

It would be neat to see the car end up with a BB member who documents their experience, just sayin :D

·
Push hard and live
10,334 Posts

·
Push hard and live
10,334 Posts
The bidding has turned strange?

A bidder put in an $8000 bid. Their Bidding record showed eight total bids on EBay in the previous 30 days, with seven retractions. I checked back later, and his bid was gone.

A new current high bidder shows having received only 3 reviews, and 3 total bids in 30 days. By comparison, I have 400 reviews and a 100% positive score.

Perhaps this is just teenage trolling. If it’s the seller’s doing, it’ll scare off a legitimate bidder.

Reactions: AaronsSpider

·
Push hard and live
10,334 Posts
Oh well. Devil made me do it. Need a 12 step program.

Cheaper than I expected.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
TS would be nice to experience but (I know, eye of the beholder and all...) not digging the design aesthetic. Must say AR has never shied away from out there design solutions so kudos for reaching on the 916.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Oh well. Devil made me do it. Need a 12 step program.

Cheaper than I expected.
You didn’t!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
The interesting thing about the 916 GTV is its 60 pounds heavier then the Spider. It usually the other way around. But the 916 was designed as a Spider and the reviews were good on the rigidity of the body. Then Alfa added the roof which made the GTV one of the most rigid coupe bodies out there. As it has the all the Spiders bracing plus the roof.

One last note. The 916 was the first car Alfa designed for the U.S. market first. When it debuted at the Geneva car show it had everything on it and built into it for the U.S. market. Usually its the other way around.

·
Push hard and live
10,334 Posts
You didn’t!!!

ah, but unless the seller flakes, I’ll be driving it before Christmas!

I’ve watched a video about replacing the timing belt. Which, if the stated mileage is correct, needs to be done. I spotted at least three special tools required, and at least twice that the Yorkshireman mumbled “well, you can’t see this cuz the light won’t reach there, but it’s very important”. And twice he was cursing in Welsh to the effect that Alfa were a bunch of bleeding blighters, or similar.

so, now to get my Alfetta onto BaT. Not enough garage space, although my 67 a Yamaha YL1 sold favorably today. Going to a museum that has 400 cars, 40-50 flying antique aircraft, and a new motorcycle collection! My kinda guy!

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I may have some of those tools.

·
Push hard and live
10,334 Posts
I may have some of those tools.

For a FIAT twin spark?

two were for setting the cam timing, and one for setting either the timing belt tension, or the balance shaft tension. The Welsh-Yorkie-Greek accent was a problem.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
There were a good few of these sold in Australia, both twin sparks and v6’s. if you’re looking for parts, tools, or knowledge thats a good place to try.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Oops, this is a twinspark. You’re on your own, Don.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts