Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm a French new 1972 Alfa 2000 Gtv owner.
The car needed a full restoration work. Currently the body work is ended and I will start the engine work soon.

What I’m looking for is a fast road engine with a good drivability, around 160 hp at 6000-6500 rpm with a rev limiter at around 6700 rpm.

It's my first experience on this engine then, can you give me your advices on this project ?

What I plan:
On the head :
- Increase intake tracts, 36mm minimum diameter (idem weber venturi size I will have). I have to find an other head to cut it for looking at the water room clearance.
- Idem on the exhaust tracts.
- Standards sizes valves with 3 angles valve’s seats (new valves, guides, maybe seats will be used)
- Colombo Bariani AR.ST1 (12 mm cam lift) Camshaft (This can change)
- Kent Valves Springs

On the engine block :
- Motronic liners and pistons with milled head to have 10.5 - 11 : 1 compression ratio.
It seems to me the motronic piston design is better than borgo and I don’t think forged pistons are necessary to this projet.
- Stock rods at the good weight.
- Balanced crankshaft, flywheel and clutch pressure plate.
- New standard oil pump

Fuel, Exhaust and Ignition:
- Weber 45 carburetors (type 152)
- Alfaholic 40 mm length carburetors mounts (I will have to calculate what intake length I will need, it seems to be around 50 cm total length)
- Tunable 123 Ignition distributor with 33000 V coil
- Exhaust system with 4-2-1 Manifold with not too big tubes diameters to increase torque in the lower rpm range (Not easy to find …)

Thanks

·
Registered
959 Posts
"Increase intake tracts, 36mm minimum diameter" I've read somewhere here that this mod is a waist of money unless you are going full race. Also: go with 10.0-1 motronics for a more streetable engine. Use the Search function. It is an invaluable research tool and you will find people who have already commented on what you are suggesting and have posted their experience. I had thought about doing everything you suggest and read hours of comments on engine rebuilding but found that a simple spica pump rebuild was the best bang for the buck without the need to spend thousands to gain 20-30 horse power. Granted, as light as the GTV is 30 more ponies would have been nice but I couldn't justify the expense. If money is no object then the sky is the limit.

·
Registered
679 Posts
160hp is not just easy possible when you do this yourself.
My 165 din Hp 2,0 engine needs Pistons like this.
I bought those parts from a german alfa tuner, he makes those engines daily and knows his stuff.
Finally it will be a lot better and cheaper.
The head was sent to him and came back ready to mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marc,

I'm interested to your German Alfa Tuner.
Can you tell me his name, please ?

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Would you recommend formulagt? They seem impressive and I understand that they build / built a lot of Alfa race engines, but I don't know anyone who actually bought anything from them. Their prices are very high.

The French classic car rules don't sound very nice. I am also looking for this type of hp but starting with a TS engine should make it easier. I'm installing the crankshaft today :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you consider the work and research involved to produce engines with the power and torque Formula GT does I think their engines are worth their money.
But that is my opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts