Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
The oldest GT 1300 Junior is a 1969, so assume smooth nose ... but then the 1969 GTA 1300 Junior is a step nose as I have seen it.
Pete, there are a number of stepfront Juniors in NZ , mine is a 1970 , I know of a 1965 which is not an AROC car

·
Administrator
13,285 Posts
Pete, there are a number of stepfront Juniors in NZ , mine is a 1970 , I know of a 1965 which is not an AROC car
1965!, that is early, wow.
Pete

·
Registered
564 Posts
Guy is out of the country most of the time , guy who looks after it has a collection of American cars , he doesn't understand, but its usable and dry stored so will emerge one day.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
if you're not a coachbuilder, drop it.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Of the white cars 60E, 61E and 62E they all had vinyl light tan (cuoio) interiors, {The 63E blue car also had vinyl light tan (cuoio) interior, as seen at the 12 second frame Shane posted}
So you will need the Italian factory build certificate to tell you if the current interior colour grey you have for AR 299357 is the original for the car.

·
Administrator
13,285 Posts
Its a huge jump to think this car has anything to do with the Bathurst cars ...

For a start it's in NZ, not Australia
Pete

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Byza,
This would be a great car once finished.
I looked at this car on TM with a view to another project, but I walked away.
If you have experience as a panel-beater, a place to build a build a rotisserie, and thousands of dollars for new panels this would be worthwhile project.
You really need to take into account the cost of:
  • the restoration of the mechanicals, engine, gearbox, diff, carbs, steering box
  • new rubbers, shocks, bushes, headlining, headlights
  • cost of professional services that you cant do yourself.
I hope someone saves it. There aren't an awful lot of 105 coupes here in NZ.
By the way PSK, not everyone is a member of the club!
Kind Regards,
Ian

·
Registered
519 Posts
Its a huge jump to think this car has anything to do with the Bathurst cars ...

For a start it's in NZ, not Australia
Pete
I'am not saying this car has anything to do with the three white Bathurst cars , but is is a nice theory of Steve's :)
Dan Murphy could write a book about it, ie: The Da Vinci Code , total BS but would be nice if it were true
Lots of old race cars ended up in New Zealand .
Did NZ import cars direct from Italy in the 60s or did they come via Australia ?
NZ gets lots of hand me downs from AUS ;) We do get your Actors and Pop stars in return.
It would make the car even more of a worthwhile proposition to restore .

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Thank you Shane we should call it 'Steve's theory'
I'm just saying any RHD GT Veloce 1600 deep arch car imported into Australia which was white from factory has a probability of being one of the 3 white Bathurst cars or any GT Veloce 1600 deep arch car which was blue from factory has a probability of being the blue Bathurst car.
AR 299357 could be one of those white cars if it originally had a vinyl light tan (cuoio) interior.

As for all those other white GT Veloce 1600 deep arch cars imported into Australia .
This is just a guess to place some numbers on the probability
I guess the number of white GT Veloce 1600 deep arch cars imported into Australia was 120 in 1967. That's selling 10 cars a month for 1967. Bathurst was 1st October 1967, so max 90 cars for 1967 January to September 1967 (may be less than 90 say 60 as not all white cars had vinyl light tan (cuoio) interior)

3 white Bathurst cars divided by 90 white cars imported into Australia is 3.33% chance a 1967 white GT Veloce 1600 deep arch car is one of the Bathurst cars!
3 white Bathurst cars divided by 60 white cars imported into Australia is 5% chance a 1967 white GT Veloce 1600 deep arch car is one of the Bathurst cars!

I checked the 105 register for 1967 white GT Veloce 1600 deep arch cars.
There are only two cars AR 298810 and AR 299330 built from January 1967 to September 1967 which I have the factory build certificate showing they were white with vinyl light tan (cuoio) interiors.

Of course many white cars were painted red, but this is not evident from the 105 register so may be worth getting your Italian build certificate.

Regards Steve

·
Administrator
13,285 Posts
:), I used to dream my 1750 GTV had significant history, but I gave that up ages ago ... the car was too unmodified for any racing history. The only thing that the car might have been involved with is a conception as there is a suspicious looking hole in the headliner above the passengers seat, but the real reason for the hole is probably somewhat duller
Pete

·
Administrator
13,285 Posts
By the way PSK, not everyone is a member of the club!
Kind Regards,
Ian
Pity, but yes I never joined* the NSW Alfa Club and I lived over there for 20 years, and even went to their concourse meetings ...
Pete
EDIT: * actually I might have for a few years ... not sure now

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Alfa’s in NZ did not come via Australia. Plenty were bought as tourist delivery ex,. UK though, far more than were ever privately imported from Oz.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Has anyone done a Alfa Romeo Automobilismo Storico search yet ?

·
Registered
870 Posts
This thread seems to have veered off track, any thing can be saved , it just depends how much mental energy and determination you have, it would be sad to see it scrapped. as others have said get the paint off to really asses it.good luck. cheers Ian

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi Byza,
Getting back to your original question regards worth restoration or not: While anything IS restorable at a cost, personally I can't see how this one is a viable prospect at all. It has SO much bad rust coming through everywhere even before the paint comes off...I've seen so many that didn't look too bad at all until after paint/filler stripped, that this one just looks like it's too far gone. Nice a thought as saving it might be, I'm not at all sure that it's a viable proposition in reality.
I don't think I would tackle it from a cost/sanity perspective, & I even have the complete Alfa 105 chassis jig to work with.
Investigate further by all means, but don't be talked into a bottomless pit just to save it.
Vin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well someone paid NZ$20k for it in a spirited bidding war. It was Saturday evening so alcohol could possibly have been involved:)

21 - 40 of 57 Posts