Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Am looking into a potential project. I have attached some photos and would really appreciate your thoughts on the project. Is it too far gone?

·
Administrator
13,227 Posts
Nothing is unfixable, but this car needs a rotisserie type restoration. If that is what you are after then great. Nowadays you can purchase lots of reproduction panels, but they are not cheap + you have to add freight to get them out here to NZ.

It has had previous sill/rocker repairs so at a minimum it needs:
1. both floor panels
2. probably both inner chassis rails
3. probably both middle chassis rails
4. both outer sill/rocker panels
5. right front guard
6. nose panel
7. repair panel for left front guard bottom
8. both repair panels for rear guards bottom
9. both doors
10. ...

Pete

·
Administrator
13,227 Posts
When will New Zealanders learn you cannot store old cars under tarps. Was probably less than half that rust when put away like that.

Same thing happened to my car before I got it ...
Pete

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
The good news is if you have enough money you can fix anything. On the flip side, it would be much more expensive to fix that than to buy a restored example. I don't see seats or glass, etc., and no telling what else is missing. It would be one thing to buy a rusty car that is complete and together, but it's a different story buying a rusty car that is disassembled. Just my opinion or course.

·
Administrator
13,227 Posts
But you are talking about a rare car in NZ.

According to my AROC book: there are only 4 x Giulia Sprint GTs, and 6 x Guilia Sprint GT Veloces in the club (so probably in NZ). The oldest GT 1300 Junior is a 1969, so assume smooth nose ... but then the 1969 GTA 1300 Junior is a step nose as I have seen it.

Pete

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
But you are talking about a rare car in NZ.

According to my AROC book: there are only 4 x Giulia Sprint GTs, and 6 x Guilia Sprint GT Veloces in the club (so probably in NZ). The oldest GT 1300 Junior is a 1969, so assume smooth nose ... but then the 1969 GTA 1300 Junior is a step nose as I have seen it.

Pete
Sure, which may sourcing parts even more difficult.

·
Administrator
13,227 Posts
Australia is not far away, but yes most of our parts come from the UK

Might be cheaper to consign the car to somebody like Auto Restorations in Christchurch, who can make many of the panels and it also won't take them as long as it would us.
Pete

·
Registered
165 Posts
If it was in my shop, I would save it. But I’m not paying shop rate, I’m just paying my guys. The sills & floors are pretty routine. But I’ve never seen a fender rust like that. In sheet metal alone at Classic Alfa, probably $5000, If it’s your labor, go for it, but if you have 500 hours at shop rate, it’s gonna be upside down.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The oldest GT 1300 Junior is a 1969, so assume smooth nose ... but then the 1969 GTA 1300 Junior is a step nose as I have seen it.
A ‘69 junior will be step-nose. 1750 dash and running gear with the earlier body.

A couple of years ago I saw one of these under a tarp in the Howick/Pakuranga area. If it’s that car you’ve done well to extricate it from it’s owner, it looked pretty sad but he wasn’t interested in parting with it at the time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The chassis number says it is a 1967 1600 GTV GD . What engine does it have ? Looks later ( alternator , non crossover air filter, dellorto carburettors)
Also later gearbox with hydraulic clutch.
Send it off to be dipped and see how much comes back :)

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I feel like there are still many horrors to be revealed under that paint judging by the glimpses of filler in funny places. Even the later boot lid that would have probably been added during the last ‘resto’ is toast so my guess is many shortcuts were taken on the bodywork at that time. A shame because a nice early 67 RHD GTV like this commands big money when in great condition. As others have said, nothing is impossible. UK guys are probably not phased by this condition at all! 😜

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe a lot less expense to buy a restored GTV from another Commonwealth country and ship it in. Unless you want the experience of restoring it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I feel like there are still many horrors to be revealed under that paint judging by the glimpses of filler in funny places. Even the later boot lid that would have probably been added during the last ‘resto’ is toast so my guess is many shortcuts were taken on the bodywork at that time. A shame because a nice early 67 RHD GTV like this commands big money when in great condition. As others have said, nothing is impossible. UK guys are probably not phased by this condition at all! 😜
Liked: "UK guys are probably not phased by this condition at all!"

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Work out which version of the GT Veloce 1600 you have, I'm thinking it could be a version 2, i.e. the version they FIA homologated for group 2 (1000 cars). Your car seams like it's body number is close to mine which is a version 2.
There were three white GT Veloce 1600 FIA group 2 cars in the 1967 Bathurst race, the version 2 or group 2 cars had more options and came with ATE brakes (early) {which I think are the small front ATEs you have in the photos?]

The amount of corrosion in the floors is not that bad. My guess it was under a tarp for a while.
I would strip the car down and have the paint removed (I would advise against dipping) first to see where if any other damage/poor previous repairs.Make sure to prime the shell so it does not rust while you are doing the body work. Removing the front fenders seems like it's needed

The original AR 536 engines(oil cartridge) are hard to find so may be the engine in the car may be serviceable if not try and find a AR 536 engine (spin on oil filter)
Regards Steve

·
Registered
519 Posts
Its a pity nobody wrote down the chassis numbers of the 4 GTVs that were in the 1967 race.
They were probably sold as demos Monday morning , Low mileage (just over 500) Only driven on the weekend !
I wonder if one had won would it have made any difference to Australian's V8 oppression .

1 - 20 of 43 Posts