Alfa Romeo Forums banner
161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Hi Kumhas,
I looked up some of the background and history of the difficulty of putting together old cars in Pakistan, to try and understand what it's all about and the limits you face.
It looks like Pakistan does not have an auto manufacturing industry at the moment as it was abandoned/shut down due to political pressure for what ever reason/s and it relies on taxing imported new cars to generate revenue.
When car parts come into the country as scrap metal they are examined closely as the Govt does not want recreated old cars so they impose permits and/fines and other severe penalties as you said. I think so they don't miss out on sale tax revenue.
This makes things very difficult for enthusiast like your self who don't have access to some restoration services.
Please accept my apology.
Here is a news item that gives the background of car enthusiasts struggle in Pakistan.
Regards Steve
@Steve105 ...you have absolutely no reason to be apologetic at all. To correct so me of the impressions we have an auto industry that assembles a fair number of vehicles...Toyotas, Hondas Suzukis and Kias for example. No European makes. The reason for the difficulties is that these manufacturers demand tariff protection from the government to keep the prices of their products high. There are a large number of locally manufactured products but these are not mechanical like complete engines...engines are imported fully assembled although components like valves and springs and the rest are manufactured. Plastic products are manufactured in abundance although the quality varies.

Interesting that you bring up the Esquire article. My 15 minutes of fame. I am Kamran Hussain the chap " posing " with my 911 Targa .....and the red Alfa 1750GTV series 1 was found as a barn find by me , bought and then restored...story in the AlfaBB as well and then driven for a few years until Mushahid almost held a gun to my head and took it. He also took my Fiat Spider off me by feigning tears while sitting in friends and I gave in and let him take it. Although a close friend he isnt getting anything else now. Thanks but No thanks. :) :):):)

And the wife forced me to sell my Mini Vtec, the Jaguar XJ6 and the Toyota Celica in the last couple of months as they dropped oil on the driveway. Aaargh. The things one does for love and friendship.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Steve, you misunderstood that article which refers to a particular type V8 engine with counterweighted flywheel & front pulley.
While it IS necessary for this type of engine to have those items fitted while balancing, it is NOT necessary for an engine like our 4 cyl Alfas where the flywheel & pulley are plane, uniform-mass units to have them on the crank for balancing. So long as all the crank diameters all run true to main bearings, firstly the crank is zero balanced & then it becomes a 'mandrel shaft' for balancing the flywheel & pulley as well. OR if you are replacing a flywheel/clutch or pulley you can use a plain mandrel shaft made to mount those parts, as the substitute for the crank for the balancing process.
Provided all your diameters run true, any of the individual parts can be zero balanced & added or exchanged from an engine assembly. So the flywheel should be zero balanced, then the pressure plate added (& marked for position) then it too can be zero balanced. this is the normal procedure for component replacement off the engine.
regards,
Vince
Thanks.. will check the balances..... In no mood for balancing the crank as The engine appears to be smooth generally

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Right. Progress has been made finally. started to trace the vibration source by a process of elimination. First went to the exhaust fitters finally. Got car up on the deck and then started it... the exhaust was resonating as the shaft appeared to be vibrating. The intake manifold was touching the lateral bulkhead. so it was either bash the bulkhead out or cut a small disc where the engine intake was touching. This reduced the vibration some what. It was finally time for the propshaft/ driveshaft.

Got the original driveshaft out....had it balanced and a new propshaft centre bearing support of the early type with the bearing rubber and the cups etc was put in....took the car out. Lovely 99 percent of the noise gone and vibration...GONE. Just some exhaust boom because of kack of sound deadening and the fact that the rear seat delete and a board at the back acts as a drum. The car is now eminently driveable . Did 80 mph steady on its first shakedown run on the motorway. Hunted down the moderns and kept up with the Audi A6s.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
346 Posts
Kamhus your guys have done an excellent job in restoring this beauty, that must be a blast to drive now that it is dialled in!
Tim

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Had not driven the car for three weeks..what with the humidity at 85 percent and temperature 106 degrees Fahrenheit... took her out for a refill. Some pics... body a little dusty

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
The car was taken out a couple of weekends ago on the Distinguished Gentlemans ride... a drive for awareness of mens health

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Event was held at the LAhore Polo club. The last photos is from the Club. The pack was led by two bonafide classics...a 1928 Rolls and a Cadillac V16

161 - 177 of 177 Posts