Alfa Romeo Forums banner
121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
@Steve105 the Penny finally dropped on the 1750 series 1 tail lights. I didnt buy these directly. These were obtained form Malaysia by a friend who got these Carello items NOS from a shop getting rid of old stock in Malaysia. BTW he is restoring a 2000GTV to rally spec in Thailand. Chong soo Ong is doing it for him. I got reminded today.

Further the aluminium brackets for the number plates are being made and the number plates being put

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
@PSk Pete ..I checked the steering lock bracket. The one on the right is there. I asked Ikram the mech. This was the one on the left and he shifted it to the right during the RHD conversion. There was none on the right. This has been noted and I will get it when Kevin at ebspares is better. He has been through the wars with severe Covid spending several weeks in hospital on a vent etc.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
The car is hone...drove it a few miles. Still a work in progress.
1.The rear appears too low. I do of course realise that the tear squats down a bit but this appears too much. May be a little raise. The tyres rub on the wheel arch with two aboard.
2. The car is fine at idle but splutters on acceleration .. misfiring its way to 70 mph..which is where I took it. appears to be the AFM...which was obtained form Malaysia. I havent done any surgery on it as it still works after a fashion. It did take the car to 70 plus mph when I stopped as
3. driveshaft vibration set in at 70 plus...a consequence of the handbrake lever anchoring bolt hitting it and possible unbalancing it.

The rest it drives beautifully. Lovely turn in and the steering is creamy. Tracks true. Confortable with the Air con etc..

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
urgent need...I need an AFM urgently...needs to be of course in good working order...Bosch 0280202202 from the 164 twinspark/ alfa spider/ Peugoet 205 Gti 1.9/ Opel Vectra/ Vauxhall Vectra 2.0/ Omega etc. didnt know so many cars used this AFM. None of the cars were sold in Pakistan soThe missing/ loss of torque / etc etc is probably due to AFM. stands beautifully at idle and but at acceleration splutters/ misfires / occasionally of course does not pull then catches ..

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Its misfiring as I put up before. First thought it was the AFM. Obtained a new AFM...no real change in the engine behaviour....next thing it may be the ECU....so an ECU is on its way. Lets see what that does. As the monsoon is in full swing I have decided to take the car out only when it becomes dry....flooded roads and newly restored cars don't really mix. I am running in the Porsche 912 stroker engine...a torque monster. The Weber trumpets can be seen along with the tubing for the oil cooler under the left sided air cleaner filter. You can also see the lull in the rain when the GTV6 and the Jaguar XJ6 were parked outside

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Rear arches look higher
You may well be right. Will look at it once the levels are sorted. The car is about one inch higher at the front as compared to the rear.....The inner tip of the arches actually rub against the tyres which is because the lips are too deep but also low. I will report back Boss...

·
1,197 Posts
The silver Alcoholics car is a 1969/ with bubble top dash. The 1968/69 (flat and bubble top dash cars) had high arches.
What I'm saying was your car had deep arches as per it being say 1966/67 from your initial pictures.
The arches now seem higher now, may be just the paint?

·
Administrator
15,402 Posts
The silver Alcoholics car is a 1969/ with bubble top dash. The 1968/69 (flat and bubble top dash cars) had high arches.
What I'm saying was your car had deep arches as per it being say 1966/67 from your initial pictures.
Steve, his panel beater made the whole guard, or repair pieces. They did not buy panel parts and weld them on, so yes it is very possible that they are now a little higher. Where in Pakistan is he going to locate another low arch 105 series to get measurements from?

An utterly amazing restoration/rebirth of a very poor condition car ... Time to relax and enjoy what it is now :)
Pete

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Its the Samsung phone camera I think as I have taken a good long look.....Distortion...will get some proper photos

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Further progress or the lack of it. Was busy in work fro the last few weeks so was unable to give attention to the GT. Its home but misfires like crazy. Its starts well and idles well without a misfire but on driving starts to misfire. The plugs in cylinders 1, 2 and 3 foul up with oil but there is little or no smoking.. either blue or black. On taking the plugs out.. golden lodge the re is oil in the cylinders. The coils are fine and the spark is strong , fuel pressure is 3 bar at ilde and 3.4-5 on acceleration. However the car drives as if on one cylinder which I have done... taken it up to 55 mph... drove it for 40-50 miles to see whether it would clear but it did not. On the other hand if it can go up to 50 mph firing on one cylinder...its going to brilliant on all four. Therein lies the rub at the moment.

Had got a spare ecu for it from ebay. That turned out to be a dud as the car doesn't even start with it. Any one have another spare Bosch 0261 200 108 for Motronic 4.1

Need advice...is is oil dropping in from the valves.. valve seals???? The mech says it probably the valves that need to be done. The seals are bust. any pointers???? All help will be appreciated.

On the positive side.. the suspension is brilliant and so is the steering. It tracks true but there is a vibration above 45 mph which is the bent drive shaft ...need to have a new one made and balanced. The engine is giving grief. Just ordered valve seals and a head gasket set from Centerline. The head is coming off unless get advice to the contrary

·
1,197 Posts
Dear Kumhas,
You really need a multi skilled individual who understands ECU's and the engines they control. I would ditch (put aside) the current engine and go back to a stock engine with Webers. Work out your vibration issues with the drive shaft with a Nord engine.
Then make inquiries for a package of an engine and ECU which has already been run in on a dyno or in a test mule (test car). Other wise it seems like just pot luck / or you are trying to wing it (wasting your time and money on dead ends) to get the engine and electronics working. Allot of what you are trying to do with the engine and electronics has already been done and you can buy off the shelf if you don't have access to skilled people. Skilled individuals do this for a living if you want to pay for advise I'm sure they could help you. I could even recomend one in Australia. Good luck.

I don't think the panel guy re-made the guards he just spliced them and moved the wheel arch up.

Regards Steve

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Steve105....I think your points are well made. Some clarification is required here. Used engine import is banned into the country as is used cars older than 3 years. Used engines are contraband. I imported this engine in a container as scrap after buying it in the UK....and this was a real palaver. Going back to the " original engine" is not an option as I would have to " import" another one after sourcing. This is difficult now as there has been a massive crackdown by the Imran Khan Government on contraband...drugs/ arms and the like and scrap etc is also scrutinised greatly. The engine that came with the car was a SOHC Mazda engine.

Now at 2 am at night I had a eureka moment. The exhaust never smelt of unburnt petrol...if the injectors had been firing while there was no ignition there would have been petrol spewing out from the exhaust...there was none....and the dang thing was idling albeit not too cleanly obviously one one firing cylinder. Rang my mech up as the injectors were the only thing not tested....and we are going to find out in the morning. These may just be stuck and not spraying although I still suspect thats not the complete picture.

If it is a Motronic injection issue that cannot be solved the solution is readily available although expensive...twin DCOE 45s with the intake manifold 1200 UK pounds and about 900 pounds for an Omex system with coils etc rom Alfaholics..total 2200 pounds. Not really fazed as I just sold my Celica and Jaguar XJ6 from 1984...the Jaguar is 2000 pounds in the UK but 10 times that much here although it was in good shape.... so the funding is there. The reasons for selling was the better half who complained bitterly of the oil drip from the Jaguar onto the driveway ( rear main seal). I will have to get the stuff in via the USA...shipment is done to the States and then transhipped to Pakiland.

The drive shaft is no issue...it got bent as a loose bolt struck it...drive shafts can be made inexpensively here.\

The rear arches... again no issue.. will get measurements and have it done next summer when I wont be driving the car. Also getting fibreglass recaros......Steve105 I think you must be shuddering.

Will let you guysknow in a day or two. Have a couple of surgeries to do...a brain tumour and a neck spine surgery tomorrow...lest it be forgotten I have another more important life...

·
Administrator
15,402 Posts
Steve,

Look at the rear wheel arch shape/contour, that is not correct as you know (although now looks correct on the finished car, so obviously corrections were made)

An amazing restoration has taken place here to save a car that 95% of the world would have scrapped and all you can do is nit pick. It's not constructive

I hope you are alright in these difficult times, mate
Best
Pete

121 - 140 of 177 Posts