Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
some more movement ...the air conditioning is being tested with the vents cut into the dash. Generic vents obtained form Demon Tweeks. I would have wanted these to go into the centre in line with the instruments but the dash curves so they are put in lower down. Not ideal but Alfaholics billet vents are several hundred pounds and these were for about 20 pounds or less. dont look too bad .
vent.jpg

·
Registered
304 Posts
Kamhus I like these vents better, the black suits the dash and doesn't crowd the area with too much bling, the Veglia gauges do that job well on their own.
Tim

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
things are shaping up with the dash..better than I had hoped. Now for the roll cage.
dash vent 1.jpg
dash vent 2.jpg

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
The fitting is being done ...slowly as the fitting does need to be done gently without forcing. The grill has been made locally...some pics fro
oneweek1.jpg
oneweek3.jpg
oneweek4.jpg
m today

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
the roll cage is going in....similar to the GTA style roll cage..2 inch steel tubing...will be powder coated black. Maybe we should have done it earlier but with the rear seat delete...don't have a rear seat so really a necessity. Also going to hang the seat belt...inertia reel off the roll cage as stress the frame behind the B pillar wont be a good thing

·
Registered
991 Posts
I doubt the role cage would be FIA approved. The correct place for the rear leg is probably over the rear chassis leg or reinforcing the rear parcel shelf. Going for a subtle installation, or copying an old role cage setup from the 60's comes with it's risks. Running the back leg of the roll bar on the rear wheel well could in the case of any accident result in the rear roll bar leg punching past the wheel well with the rear role bar leg digging into the tyre leading to an uncontrolled outcome.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
The way projects get changed sometimes. As the interior was about to be done and not having a rear seat setup I decided to have a cabinet in place of the rear seat i.e a rear seat delete. after a search on alfabb I settled on a rear bench setup as described by @per_einarsson . The rear bench is going to be made with mdf and done up in leather with a couple of compartments for tools etc. Too shallow for helmets
1595008403456.png
1595008610730.png
1595008682256.png

·
Registered
991 Posts
There was a rear back rest and rear seat shelf that was only original for GT Sprint (parts 105.02.58.846.40 and 105.02.58.847.50) and for the GTJ 1300 (see page 328 of the 1300 GTj parts catalogue)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
the rear seat delete is progressing. MDF has been used to make the cabinet....its goinf to be upholetered in leather...thats the plan anyhow.....pics soon
back seat delete 1.jpg
back seat delete 2.jpg
back seat delete 4.jpg

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
The interior is being sorted. The roll cage has been painted and the interior carpeting and leather is being done.....the country may be going into another lock down for a couple of weeks...but workshops are supposed to be exempt. So here is to hoping. With the carpet being fitted you can see the aluminium master cylinder cover...as this did not cover the sides two further aluminium pieces have been cut and will be covered with carpet.
roll cage white bench.jpg
carpet.jpg
roll cage white3.jpg
roll cage white bench.jpg
carpet.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
the rear panels are being installed. Further the aluminium cover for the pedal master cylinders has been put in. I do understand that these are not for the purist...but having technical challenges and the logistical challenges did have to be surmounted.....
rear panel 1.jpg
rear panel 5.jpg
rear panel 3.jpg
aluminium panel 4.jpg

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
As the fitting continues towards midnight locally..... the roll cage has been fitted and the rear bench fitting continues. The seat belts have been fitted. Securon inertia reel belts from ClassicAlfa......another advantage is that the belt anchorage is on the roll cage which is slightly better than the body behind the B pillar... which even to my 5' 8 " frame means that the over the shoulder belt rises up and makes it uncomfortable
roll cage install 2.jpg
roll cage install 5.jpg

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
The door panel on the right hand side...drivers panel has been installed with a ribbed cloth door pull...minimalistic and of course inexpensive....at this stage of a restorations one is down to pennies....I am sure other people have been in this situation. This is tan leather...not orange. Its just looking that way
door panel.jpg

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
The back bench is also complete and the polishing started to check the paint finish...I think as the paint is several months old and a few scratches have gathered there is need for a respray.....the hand brake... a hydraulic one is being fitted also
back bench 3.jpg
back bench 2.jpg
back bench step paint.jpg
hand brake 2.jpg

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
An hydraulic hand brake would not be legal for a road car in New Zealand ... has to be a device that can not spring a leak and thus fail

Pete

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
An hydraulic hand brake would not be legal for a road car in New Zealand ... has to be a device that can not spring a leak and thus fail

Pete
"psk I agree. I have trepidations ( big word for having kittens) about use of the hydraulic handbrake. Need to have the rear handbrake mechanism...getting hold of the handbrake inside the car is no problem but the rear hubs was an issue.... Seriously I just want the car out....interestingly Alfaholics are selling a hydraulic handbrake conversion but probably its for track day cars only. So the next thing after getting the car out of the @:£$dy workshop... is to source the complete rear hubs with the handbrake shoes etc and somehow get them into the country

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
The rear bench is fitted... and the body polish seems to have begun.... the country is in partial lockdown for the Eid ul Azha festivities after the Hajj. Lets hope that there isn't another outbreak of Covid then....so many people have died....several I know.. doctors and nurses .... others. Its been heartrending... and somehow I feel talking about car restorations and little imperfections is inconsequential in the greater scheme of things...but then one has to retain sanity or "insanity" in this case....to function at all.

As far as the rear calipers were concerned. Changed form Dunop rear calpers which were completely shot and had a different mechanism for the handbrake to the ATE calipers.. so need t get a set of the rear hubs

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
The door panel finish with the door handles fitted. I quite like the finish. Need to get the bezels which fit underneal the handles. May get these machined
door panel final left.jpg
door panel final left 2.jpg

81 - 100 of 100 Posts